tell me about the beaches

hopeful65

Apr 3, 2012
Hi all -
I can find bits and pieces about various beaches in other threads, but thought I'd start a thread to help me.

What are your favorite beaches on the Samana peninsula? Why?

Which beaches would you say are musts to visit?

I'd love to go to a gorgeous beach that requires a boat trip. Recommendations?

Basically, any and all beach advice welcome.
Thanks.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
IMO, Las Terranas has the best beach in the DR. You don't need a boat, the beach is just a few feet from where ever you're staying.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
I agree with Ron. You cannot go wrong staying at either the Alisei or Colibri. And very easy to hop on a guagua to Las Galeras one day for an adventure or visit Coson or Bonita.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
When I first got here, I was walking along the road in LT, down in the fisherman's village. The streets were all caliche then, no asphalt. It was about 2 pm and the place was deserted. I was just in heaven and wondered why there was no one out. About five minutes later, I felt like I was gonna faint.

Another time, I took a concho down to Coson and had them drop me down at one of the hotels, had an early breakfast and started walking down the beach. HEAVEN. I was the only one on this gorgeous beach. Felt like that closing scene from the Shawshank Redemption.. you know the one, where they end up on that beautiful tropical beach?

Then, about 15 minutes into the walk, I realized that there was no sign of ANYONE. No buildings, no people. I was walking along with NO WATER. I had only a pareo and my swimsuit and flipflops and a visor. STOOOPID...

Fortunately, I met some folks and they said that there was a restaurant about 20 minutes down the way so I kept on and ended up at Don Luis..where I stayed the day and got a ride back with them at night.

So just be aware that all these "lovely" beaches can also be quite dangerous unless you come prepared. Many of them are covered with sand flies. Dehydration comes on suddenly. The tropical sun is deadly.

There are some very cool and isolated beaches which have fish places on them where you can get cold drinks.. hydrate hydrate hydrate...

but do not go hiking off by yourself in this tropical sun until you really know your way about

(Now you may be an expert in tropical beaches in which case I take it all back)

hopeful65

Apr 3, 2012
Thanks mountainannie. That is helpful.

Okay, we will spend most of our time on the beach at Las Terrenas. Just wondering which other beaches folks recommend.
The ones I've seen listed are Coson, Bonita, Moron, Popy, Rincon, Fronton, del Valle and Cayo Levantado. So I'm looking for peoples' opinions on these. I do like the idea of going places where you don't have to bring food. Sounds like that's true at Rincon and del Valle. Also would like to find a place to rent snorkeling stuff. Also would consider scuba diving if folks think there is a reputable place and it's worth it.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
...What are your favorite beaches on the Samana peninsula? Why?

That depends on the situation and on the place I spend my holidays.

a) For long and lonely beachwalks: Playa Bonita/Coson, Playa Limon or Playa Rincon

b) To galopp along on horseback: Rincon or Limon

c) Dominican life on weekends: Playa Anadel, perhaps La Playita

d) For snorchelling: Madame, Fronton and - when the sea is quiet - one of the small beaches along Samana bay.

e) To relax in lonelyness: Playa Colorado or a beach between Colorada and Rincon, Playa La Cana, Moron and a)

El Valle is a nice place, too, but for me this beach is a very crowded, real tourist trap with tourist prices.

I love to explore Samana far away from tourism, so I don?t mind to take some water and food with me.

Saludos

hopeful65

Apr 3, 2012
another thing - a Dominican friend of mine recommended Cayo Levantado. It looks totally touristy. Is it worth going to? I am inclined not to go there unless someone gives me a good reason to.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Also it is helpful to know what mode of transport you wish to use. Will you have a vehicle yourself? Suv or regular car? Do you want to go by boat? Or possibly by horseback? Will you use a tour company or guagua (for beaches between towns) or taxi? Would you like to walk the beach for treasures or exercise or sightseeing or have a chair. Do you like to swim and/or body surf, what level of beach are you comfortable swimming in ? Will you take food and beverages or like a kiosk? I guess you get the point that there are many beaches on the peninsula with many different challenges and wonders :)

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Cayo Levantado

another thing - a Dominican friend of mine recommended Cayo Levantado. It looks totally touristy. Is it worth going to?

Cayo Levantado is totally touristy. A part of the island is privatized by the Grand Bahia Principe, access is possible only for guests. When I was there the last time in 2009 the free part was covered with rows of sunbeds - so perhaps don?t go there when one or more cruiseliners with hundreds of people are riding at anchor there. Prices for drinks and food were international, not Dominican.

Except this beach is beautiful, water is clear. We spent 1h there (but more time had been too much for me) on our way back from Los Haitises, and I really enjoyed the time on the island. Perhaps you?d like to organize such a trip, too? Visit the caves and the mangroves at Los Haitises, have a picknic lunch at a perfect tropical beach nearby, and make a stopover at Cayo Levantado on your way back?

Saludos