Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dominican Photo Gallery

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Great photos! BTW is the a place on dr1 with photos of dr1 members? I seem to recall there was.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Great photos! BTW is the a place on dr1 with photos of dr1 members? I seem to recall there was.
    Glad you like the photos. I also recall a section on DR1 with photos of members, but I do not remember the location.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Panorámica Laguna Cabral. by Guty Herrera, on Flickr

IMG_1479 bote laguna Cabral sm by Carlos.2009, on Flickr

RINCON LAGOON, CABRAL 6V by CAFDFLICK, on Flickr

_MG_7157 by Tulio Marti, on Flickr

Laguna de Cabral by Tulio Marti, on Flickr

atardecer laguna de rincon by alebreu, on Flickr

The Lagoon at Cabral or Rincon, 47 square kms., contains the largest body of fresh water in the whole country. Located in the Municipality of Cabral in the province of Barahona, it is used by thousands of migratory birds that fly over the national territory from the north to the southwest.

It is the habitat of the so-called Creole duck and thorny duck, flamingo, white-crowned pigeon, Florida duck and the black rooster. A total of 134 species have been reported of resident and migratory birds. Among the fauna also are the river shrimp, fresh water turtles and other endemic species of the island of Hispaniola.

The flora, on the other hand, contributes beautifully with aquatic plants like the lotus, the water lily, the so-called hicotea grass and the parrot grass.

The Cabral lagoon, and its surrounding area, were declared a scientific reserve in 1983; thereby guaranteeing the development and the preservation of its natural habitat.

4. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Birds of the Dominican Republic

Trogón de la Hispaniola (Priotelus roseigaster) by mariodavalos.com, on Flickr

Hispaniolan Woodpecker by Galah2009, on Flickr

Melanerpes striatus - Hispaniolan Woodpecker - Pic d'Hispaniola - 14/02/09 by Philippe_Boissel, on Flickr

Hispaniolan Lizard Cuckoo by Galah2009, on Flickr

Hispaniolan American Kestrel (Falco sparverius dominicensis) by K.P. McFarland, on Flickr

The avifauna of the Dominican Republic includes a total of 290 species, of which 29 are endemic, 9 have been introduced by humans, and 33 are rare or accidental. 14 species are globally threatened.

6. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos. A way too heavy hand on the "photoshop button" with many of them... especially in the first couple of batches; but a lot of nice ones too. That shot of Bavaro beach made me think I was having an LSD flashback. LOL (j/k... I never dropped any acid, lol.)

8. Likes Yumnuk liked this post
    Dislikes Yumnuk disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptnGlenn View Post
    Nice photos. A way too heavy hand on the "photoshop button" with many of them... especially in the first couple of batches; but a lot of nice ones too. That shot of Bavaro beach made me think I was having an LSD flashback. LOL (j/k... I never dropped any acid, lol.)
    Thanks, I am glad you like the photos.

As far as the photoshop, there is one thing I have learned it is that people love HDR photos that are extreme. However, when it comes to HDR, I am kinda of in the middle. I enjoy shooting my own HDR shots, and I get a kick out of processing them. I know some people are at the complete other end of the spectrum. They hate any HDR that doesn’t look natural and photorealistic.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cibao Valley

Valle de Constanza by cperez7, on Flickr

Los Montasitos by Hein Rich ©, on Flickr

Dominican Republic (blast from the past) by Roberto Israel, on Flickr

On Sanity road by Mercedes.. Life as I Pictured, on Flickr

Panorámica compuesta por 3 imágenes by Luis Diaz Photography, on Flickr

Arcoiris by Scarlett_FG, on Flickr

9Jun4886 by SkyHoppers Aerial Adventures, on Flickr

Cibao, usually referred as "El Cibao", is a region of the Dominican Republic located at the northern part of the country.
    The Taíno word Cibao, meaning "place where rocks abound", was originally applied to the central mountain range, and used during the Spanish conquest to refer to the rich and fertile valley between the Central and Septentrional mountain ranges.

11. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yumnuk View Post
    Thanks, I am glad you like the photos.

As far as the photoshop, there is one thing I have learned it is that people love HDR photos that are extreme. However, when it comes to HDR, I am kinda of in the middle. I enjoy shooting my own HDR shots, and I get a kick out of processing them. I know some people are at the complete other end of the spectrum. They hate any HDR that doesn’t look natural and photorealistic.

When color photography first became readily available, many/most "purists" hated that too! Called it a fad, or worse. LOL I say, to each his own taste. After all... beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. There's plenty of room in the "pool" for all. I learned very early on to not make my photos to please others, I make them to please myself, (except in some rare cases of specific client requirements). It's worked pretty well so far.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptnGlenn View Post
    When color photography first became readily available, many/most "purists" hated that too! Called it a fad, or worse. LOL I say, to each his own taste. After all... beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. There's plenty of room in the "pool" for all. I learned very early on to not make my photos to please others, I make them to please myself, (except in some rare cases of specific client requirements). It's worked pretty well so far.
    I totally agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Often times, while browsing forums, I encounter individuals claiming: I am a Photography Purist… Manipulating photos is like cheating… I like to have perfect photos straight out of the camera… My grandmother can use a digital camera, but that doesn't make her a photographer… Digital cameras make for lazy photographers.

At times I cannot help, but think that half of them are amateurs who refuse to have anything to do with processing software.LOL.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast