• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Corrupt Senate trying to kill Constituent Assembly

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

As if Dominicans could handle anymore abuses of power, neglect and deceipt from the Dominican Senate and House of Representatives(Camara de Diputados), our glorius
"un-representatives are now in conjunction with Hipolito Mejia and his PRD Party trying to kill the Constituent Assembly Committee ,appointed by Hippo himself, to reform our Constitution.

??
It appears now that these cynics "cannot trust to bestow 40% of the representation to our civil society". They just do not trust the people. They believe that to be a representative of your nation you have to join a political party and perhaps "steal a few pesos to qualify".

??
What is even worse, they are denying women equal representation in a country that has elected the last two presidents with the majority of women, our strongest and most decisive electorate.

??
It seems polititians just do not learn their lesson. Their personal financial ambition is so great that they are willing to risk everything, including going to jail. The whole scheme is nothing more than an extortion to try to get the people to let them extend their term of office two more years, so that Presidential and Congressional elections can be held at the same time.

??
It is no secret that most of these legislators would not be able to retain their posts in 2002, so they are trying to do everything possible to get the extra two years to stuff their pockets before they go on the unemployment line from the most generous governments in our history(Leonel and Hipolito)

??
Dominicans cannot stand for this. Women will definetly, again rise to the ocassion and demonstrate their power, since our male electorate continues to grease the way for thievery and corruption. The lesson from Venezuela has not even raised the eyebrows of our ineffective and corrupted elected officials.

??
Already our streets are beginning to get plastered with their dirty, obnoxious and visually offensive propaganda. Trees, electricity poles and cables,bridges, streets, the walls of private homes, buildings, even our colonial treasures are being painted, glued,nailed and bannered with pictures of these parasites.*

S

SCARAMOOCH

Re: Corrupt Senate trying to kill Constituent Asse

What the DR needs is another dictator to plumb things up.It seems that the idea of democracy in the DR is to elect different thieves every four year, this country will remain a third world country. Only during Trujillo's time was the peso in par with the dollar and only during his time was the streets clean, refusing his wishes you know what that meant. Sure there were oppresion if you felt oppresed, now the DR have the illusion of democracy while 20 percent of the population live well while the other 80 live in poverty. But todays politician is just a reflection of what the Dominican society as a whole is all about,where everything is corrupt to the core and you have the (aran~ando) mentality and the people are not cohesive. As a result you have a new set of thieves every four years regardless of what party they are from.

S

Squat

Scara's got a point !!!

I hate to say it, but the nation, when faced with a democratic choice, always pick the wrong one... No wonder, here, to be elected, the candidate has to be so populist, like the more nonsense you speak, the better you are...
Then guys, with a dictator, what happened if he doesn't do a good job ? You can't fire him after 4 years ?
Anyway, one thing is for sure, the PRD thugs are here for another 3 years, and that SUCKS !!!
I just wish that the 2002 elections will be a real huge lesson for them...

O

Onions and carrots

Its the only way

You very well know that in a country like the DR only paternalistic politics functions.Our resources are scarce. This creates an environment where people have no other alternative than the "botellas" and the "fundita".

Where do people come off thinking that American style democracy can ever work in the DR? Generations have come and gone where fraud,deceit and the easy way have been the only way to live. The history of the DR has been one of squabbling generals "caciques" who vied for power in the DR.When the Americans came in 1917 we didn't have any major roads,national police force, no institutions of any type.It was truly in disarray.

Its in our blood to live wild,disorganized and fragmented.

O

Onofre

Re: Scara's got a point !!!

RIGHT ON SQUAT. Some of these guys are a--h-l-s. I can't believe that they know so much about DR. The way I see it. If DR is saw bad, why do they keep coming back or why do they stay. Makes you wonder. There are some like Hill Billy, who gives it straight, but some others......... Your cool Squat. Keep it up.

S

SCARAMOOCH

Squat, you wrote << Then guys, with a dictator, what happens if he doesn't do a good job? You can't fire him after 4 years? SQUAT HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF ASSASINATION?

T

Tom F.

Enlightened monarchs are hard to find.

R

Rafael

Just a question (???)

When he mentioned he had been elected (a few days before the actual announcement) Hippo was interviewed by El Diario la Prensa (in NYC). He mentioned that he will legalize the illegal Haitians living in Dominican Republic because "they are our brothers."

My questions:
1. Is the PRD a pro-Haitian party?
2. Did Hippo manage to keep his promise of legalizing the Haitians?

I ask because this is my only source of information on the DR and I'm not too familiar with the political parties there except that they are all corrupted (according to some people).

Rafael.

O

Onofre

Re: Corrupt Senate trying to kill Constituent Asse

Scara you must have an inferiority complex. ALL HAITIANS. Here in the states some people like yourself think ALL Dominicans are drug dealers. Get some knowledge stop being so ignorant.

M

Maria Obetsanov

SenatorElections / replacement

Let start by preparing to use the system. Next election in your town be prepare to run for Public ofice, and make sure that you maintain your values. Then there would not be so many dishonesty within the Government. If you don't do things will remain the same. Cross party lines they would start feeling the pressure when they start loosing elections to some independent runner.

M

Maria Obetsanov

Re: Its TIME FOR CHANGE!!!!

And MANY DOMINICANS DIE for the rights to bear-arms. This use to be so. Only in the US do citizen maintain the right to bear-arms. This dictate, I find distastful, but we were hostage to their BANK.... They force their Control...$$$$ money. HE WHO HAS THE GOLD RULES..... Now better be careful on taking too Many loans. A Mortgage is a hard to deal with... hate those things. I don't have one. I hope all those loans, this time are not going to those elected to be the thieves in charge, is there should be some sort of accountability... a National report in the paper considering what politician have been doing in the past. you as citizen should know. what you selling the future of your children for. one of these days the heavy taxes will have to be levied in oder to pay back all those loans that are creating all those new MILLIONAIRE.