Traveling with service dog

blackwolf

Apr 14, 2012
I'm thinking about taking a cruise. My service dog will be with me. One of the stops is Samana. Can anyone tell me if the Dominican Republic is service dog friendly as far as taking my service dog in business establishments? Can you also tell me what website to go to to find out what documents/shots etc. I need for my dog? Any other information that you can provide with be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on what we should do while we are in port in Samana. I think we will only be there for about 6 hours.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would recommend you check with the cruiseline first to see what they would say. I personally don't recall ever having seen a service dog in the DR and doubt business owners would be very open to this. Maybe if you find a business that belongs to a foreigner you wouldn't have any problems. Also, I doubt the port authorities have reps to check your dog and paperwork upon arrival so they might not let you off with it. Then again, I might be mistaken. Do a search on this site for the requirements for shots and paperwork, it's been covered in detail several times.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mom CB brings her dog as a "service dog" when she visits.

There are specific requirements for entry, but you may have to go through a port with Immigration Services. I don't know if a cruise ship in Samana qualifies. I've never seen immigration officers there as folks arrive on shore.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I do not know if your service dog wears a jacket indicating he is one. If not, this might help you with business-owners.

What you need in shots, is quite the normal ones. The most important one is rabies. And you need a health-certificate, not older than 30 days from a certified vet, preferably in Spanish.

I am sorry to read that some people misuse the system, and claim their dog is a service-dog while it is not. This only makes it harder for people like yourself to travel with them.

BelgianK

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You will need a Vet. Cert. of Wellness. No more then 5 days old. Don't know how that works with your trip. They may have a special deal with Cust. Bring a copy of your Ser.Dog Cert. You will probably have to wait for the Dr. Vet to ok the dog ,$10 US.. Otherwise you'll be fine. Remember Doms., in general, are scared of dogs. We have a SD. He'S small and have not had a problem any ware.Good Luck.