Itinerary suggestions in June?

js1085

Apr 16, 2012
Hi. My husband and I will be in Punta Cana for wedding June 7-10 and are staying in the DR until the 15th (departing from Punta Cana airport). We'd like to see a bit of the country from June 10-15, and I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions for destinations. Some notes-
  • We'll probably rent a car so we can be mobile.
  • Beach destinations are probably preferable to mountain, although we are definitely open to suggestions.
  • Adventure/active sports are out (I'll be 6.5 months pregnant).
  • We prefer quaint, interesting destinations to larger resorts after 4 days at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana, although we would be up for Santa Domingo if suggested.
  • Drinking/nightlife/craziness aren't really our thing, we are more interested in taking in culture, sights, etc.
  • On a somewhat tight budget (hotels $40-70/night).
We are all ears! Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Please let me be the first to burst your bubble.
Mountains are not in a Punta Cana Vacation. Also do not drive in this country the first time unless you are suicidal. Your budget eliminates much of the tourist track but you could do with some time in Bayahibe/La Romana, there are budget hotels there. Tourist hotels are out of your budget. You could take a bus to SD and spend a few days in a modest hotel in SD. Your best bet is to do La Romana and then SD. PC is just a tourist AI area, don't expect much more.
The beaches in the area of PC, Bayahibe are great. Set a smaller agenda and you will enjoy a great area and have a great time.

Hi. My husband and I will be in Punta Cana for wedding June 7-10 and are staying in the DR until the 15th (departing from Punta Cana airport). We'd like to see a bit of the country from June 10-15, and I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions for destinations. Some notes-
  • Beach destinations are probably preferable to mountain, although we are definitely open to suggestions.
  • We prefer quaint, interesting destinations to larger resorts after 4 days at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana, although we would be up for Santa Domingo if suggested.
  • Drinking/nightlife/craziness aren't really our thing, we are more interested in taking in culture, sights, etc.

js1085

Apr 16, 2012
Your bubble-bursting enthusiasm leaves a little to be desired.
We would like to get away from the AI hotels/Punta Cana. Thanks for your warning/concern about driving (I see you've posted this elsewhere).
I'll check out La Romana and SD, thank you for your suggestions.

js1085

Apr 16, 2012
Der Fish: Thanks for the advice, we really appreciate it! We'll definitely look into all of your suggestions.

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009

Hello! hope you and your husband enjoy all that is Dominican! my daughter and her hubby live there. I agree with the other writer...do not drive a car unless you want to be in an accident. #2 bring pepto bismol in tablet form even if you are not an upset stomach type person (check with your doc as you are very pregnant) also bring advil and any other thing you could not live without if you or your hubby are not feeling well. Yes,go to the captial city it is a very cultural experience and I really felt the history AND connected in a different way I can not explain.As a Canadian (as a North American) it all started in Santo Domingo, do a bit of research online or library about Santo Domingo....think about that and for sure you will enjoy a good tour of the capital.Buy some decent Laramar it is gorgeous,there is a good shop in Colonial Zone right hand side entering from monument end of main street.Owned by husband and wife team.good silver and very nice amber and laramar for good prices.You CAN NOT bring Mamajuana home don't even try,just taste it there (not you your hubby :) what else..... You could take a tour into Higuey to see the Basilica if you are into 1950 architecture. PLEASE be very careful on street corners everywhere as gazing around at all the sights and not looking...the curbs and gutters are very deep and you could get hurt very easily! I have seen it happen.Punta Cana has a swanky mall but it just feels the same as any other mall.Dominicans love proper air conditioning and in my opinion they are pros at it! bring a sweater if you are going anywhere with long extended times of it like a movie theatre.there is a good one in Higuey ...but really dont bother going there...well i dunno...geez my daughter and her hubby just got outa there...busy...noisy no jobs.you will not find decent accomodation at those prices...not anywhere wherethey speak english and you feel safe that is.take a tour to Saona Island.Use alot of manners Dominicans are gentle happy polite people.they appreciate the same.by the way while you are at the resort please know that they are GROSSLY underpaid and work so hard .brighten their day.I love my Dominican family and I wish our country(government) would love em as much as some of the other countries.take care :)

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
You could take the coach to SD, stay there a couple of nights without renting a car, early morning coach to say Las Terrenas, rent a car and stay a couple of nights there. This region is perhaps the most beautiful in the DR and the roads are uncongested. Hotels are from $40 per room. Advertizers here in DR1.

There are also good excursions for only the amount for renting a car that take you to villages, cocoa farms etc etc.

Depending on flight times final night in the Capital or Punta Cana. As mentioned previously Bayahibe is also a good choice and has good excursion possibilities. Saona island is a good excursion from there.

pi2