Santiago travel advice

manimal

Apr 16, 2012
hi - tried searching for these answers but couldn't find exactly what I needed so apologies if this gets asked a million times...

landing in Santiago at 1 a.m. Going to spend the night and leaving for Carabrete next morning...

1) take metro or caribe bus? I know metro supposed to be a bit faster b/c it doesn't make 2nd stop in santiago, but I also know that caribe stops a bit outside sousa proper - any difference in cost/distance in getting from sousa to carabrete depending on which bus you take?

2) what is a good reasonably priced safe hotel in Los Jardines close to the bus terminals? something that takes reservations online. I know there are cabanas by airport but think we prefer to sleep closer to bus for next a.m.

thanks in advance!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
1) If you're going on to Cabarete, either bus is fine. The metro stop in Sosua is a little closer to Cabarete but if you're taking a taxi to Cabarete it doesn't really matter. Metro is 20-30 pesos more. If you plan to take a publico/carrito (public car) to Cabarete, definitely take Metro as it leaves you off directly across the street from the publico terminal

2) Hotel Las Jardines is your best bet....they have a website and take reservations, just search the name here and you'll get their info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can't improve on that. Both are just a brisk walk from the hotel. First Caribe Tours then comes Metro, maybe 100 yards further up the street (Maimon Street)

HB

Norway

Apr 16, 2012
If you are using Caribe Tours, use more then just a T-shirt, its cold in those busses. It is normal to hear alot of dominicans with running noses on the way to/from Pop. Also there is a smell some may react to. Other then that never had a problem with CT, except I do not always like the driving. Going at like 100 km/h on dark and at times bad standard Dominican roads, is not what I call safe driving.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
If you are using Caribe Tours, use more then just a T-shirt, its cold in those busses. It is normal to hear alot of dominicans with running noses on the way to/from Pop. Also there is a smell some may react to. Other then that never had a problem with CT, except I do not always like the driving. Going at like 100 km/h on dark and at times bad standard Dominican roads, is not what I call safe driving.

Hey, not everyone on those buses are Dominicans! If you doin't like sitting next to people why don't you do everyone a favor and rent an car!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hey, not everyone on those buses are Dominicans! If you doin't like sitting next to people why don't you do everyone a favor and rent an car!

Please show me where he/she states that they don't like "sitting next to people".

Get a life and stop trying to pick a fight.

SHALENA

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Please show me where he/she states that they don't like "sitting next to people".

Get a life and stop trying to pick a fight.

SHALENA
I am not picking a fight. This person does not like runny noses and does not know that everyone on the bus is not Dominican. There are tourists and illegals on those buses.*

You must like people talking trash about Dominicans...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Interpretation, Interpretation..................

I believe what Norway said and referred to was:

BECAUSE it's so cold on the bus, people are getting sick, therefore, it's advised to wear something to keep you warm.

We are in the Dominican Republic, what did you expect Norway to say? "A lot of Eskimos with running noses...."

True, it would have been more PC to say, "A lot of people with running noses......"
But not everyone is a politician, THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!! (Whoever, whatever that may be)

Everyone is so confrontational lately (Oops, now everyone will misinterpret that).

Relax children,

oh, and don't forget to wear something warm on the bus!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Everyone is so confrontational lately (Oops, now everyone will misinterpret that)[/B

Don ,why must you ALWAYS be so confrontational............lol

B in Santiago

Norway

Apr 16, 2012

BECAUSE it's so cold on the bus, people are getting sick, therefore, it's advised to wear something to keep you warm.

We are in the Dominican Republic, what did you expect Norway to say? "A lot of Eskimos with running noses...."

True, it would have been more PC to say, "A lot of people with running noses......"
But not everyone is a politician, THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!! (Whoever, whatever that may be)

Everyone is so confrontational lately (Oops, now everyone will misinterpret that).

Relax children,

Correct!
Relax... I did not try to insult anyone, I was refering to that it is cold on the busses, bring more clothes then you typical use in the steets.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011

Relax children,

Dimelo Cibao!
Good, so you could clearly see how anyone that would read norway's comment would think that all Dominicans are like the people on the buses.

People have to watch what they type even if they mean no harm because others can read it a different way and then the montros will have to correct them...

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
you sound very proud of this accomplishment. first time vehicle owners usually are :ermm:

Too funny. I have had tons of vehicles been driving 20 years son... Funny how many want to take the cheap route and fly into Santiago and then find that its not so comfortable as just flying into POP.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Funny how many want to take the cheap route and fly into Santiago and then find that its not so comfortable as just flying into POP.

Right, fly into POP, leave Santiago to us experts!

Coming in with "Fresh" money is bad for us,
... we have them all convinced that the economy is "Bad Everywhere, not just the D.R.

Damn, finally found a use for that line that I don't object to!

D for Devil

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Longer

I don't get a runny nose because I have my own vehicle:rambo::D

MIIRAAAA !!!

Your nose is getting longer.:p
This is a compliment for gringos because a large nose refers to ......... but I digress.
Please don't read this as a double entendre !!! :laugh::laugh:

Go Metro, or get a free comfy ride by Will

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Right, fly into POP, leave Santiago to us experts!

Coming in with "Fresh" money is bad for us,
... we have them all convinced that the economy is "Bad Everywhere, not just the D.R.

Damn, finally found a use for that line that I don't object to!

D for Devil

Qiero una empanada monumental con una Presidente super fria!!!:laugh:

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
MIIRAAAA !!!

Your nose is getting longer.:p
This is a compliment for gringos because a large nose refers to ......... but I digress.
Please don't read this as a double entendre !!! :laugh::laugh:

Go Metro, or get a free comfy ride by Will

One could only ride with me if they like to listen to loud Merengue tipico the entire way!