Had to pay off some cops.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
So someone was robbed, and somehow, the cellphone of the person who was robbed ended up with a SIM card in my father's name. A SIM card that he didn't buy or register. Anyways, the cops have been "investigating" for the last week, and they wanted my father to come here from the US. Long story short, I ended up having to pay the cops to make all this go away.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So someone was robbed, and somehow, the cellphone of the person who was robbed ended up with a SIM card in my father's name. A SIM card that he didn't buy or register. Anyways, the cops have been "investigating" for the last week, and they wanted my father to come here from the US. Long story short, I ended up having to pay the cops to make all this go away.

The thieves must have had access to your fathers passport or cedula, how did this happen?
Tell the whole story, what you wrote is neither here nor there!

I'm surprised the police were interested in something like this for a week, unless someone was killed that was a friend, family member or work colleague.

Strange situation, I'd even hazard a guess they weren't even cops. Don't tell me! landed on your door and didn't actually take you to the police station at all. Showed you an old ID, yes maybe of them. Told you they could make this go away if you paid them, and allowed you to make the offer of how much. Am I close? Loads of police who have been fired over recent years for corruption still carry their old ID and make a living threatening to lock up gringos and scarring the hell out of them with the threat of jail.

Am I close?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There is no way I would have told a story like this on DR1...........
If this happened to me, I would have told them "Go for it, Arrest my father in the States".........
Now, Get the **** out of here........

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let me tell you, this happens to Dominicans too. A few weeks ago my husband's cousin was at our house for the weekend when he got a call from a police captain in SD. The captain was looking for cousin's son because they claimed he had purchased a stolen cell phone. This cousin is no slouch, not by a long shot, but he went to see the captain the next Monday morning - he knew the captain was looking for a propina or the son would be arrested. Cost him 10,000 pesos. He figured it would end up costing a lot more to hire a lawyer and pay off others if the son got arrested. End of story.

Cousin gave us a lecture about never, ever buying anything off the street, go to a store and get a receipt. Guess his son didn't pay attention to his dad.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
The thieves must have had access to your fathers passport or cedula, how did this happen?
Tell the whole story, what you wrote is neither here nor there!

I'm surprised the police were interested in something like this for a week, unless someone was killed that was a friend, family member or work colleague.

Strange situation, I'd even hazard a guess they weren't even cops. Don't tell me! landed on your door and didn't actually take you to the police station at all. Showed you an old ID, yes maybe of them. Told you they could make this go away if you paid them, and allowed you to make the offer of how much. Am I close? Loads of police who have been fired over recent years for corruption still carry their old ID and make a living threatening to lock up gringos and scarring the hell out of them with the threat of jail.

Am I close?

No, this all happened in the base.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
There is no way I would have told a story like this on DR1...........
If this happened to me, I would have told them "Go for it, Arrest my father in the States".........
Now, Get the **** out of here........

B in Santiago

It wasn't about arresting him in the states, that won't happen. It was about the hassle, and getting arrested when he came here, and having to get a lawyer.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It wasn't about arresting him in the states, that won't happen. It was about the hassle, and getting arrested when he came here, and having to get a lawyer.

Are you sure the police will not arrest your father when setting foot in the D.R. ????????????????

May 12, 2005
I am not sure why so many folks have issues with the police and AMET. I have been stopped maybe 3 times and not once has any money exchanged hands. I have always been polite and courteous and gotten a hand shake and a salute from them. Free to continue on to my destination.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I am not sure why so many folks have issues with the police and AMET. I have been stopped maybe 3 times and not once has any money exchanged hands. I have always been polite and courteous and gotten a hand shake and a salute from them. Free to continue on to my destination.

Maybe they know their own kind. lol

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Report them to who? With what proof? What do you think would happen if you did make an issue of this?

Don't you have any connections? Anyway, this guy should not have paid them. Rookie move.