I'm so depressed to hear this, is nothing sacred!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You depressed about Dominican protecting themselves against crocodiles ?

They are hunting them, they will be extinct like everything else they have hunted to extinction on the island within a short time. It only assures my thoughts that any reintroduction plans for the Island that might have ever been considered would simply be abused. If they were a little better educated they would understand how it works and they could have a reasonable resource of hunting meat available, but the fox in the henhouse mentality lives on.

The environmentalist Jose Antonio Matos said the lake’s swelling has now taken the crocs and other animals closer to human populations, where they are hunted.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They are hunting them, they will be extinct like everything else they have hunted to extinction on the island within a short time. It only assures my thoughts that any reintroduction plans for the Island that might have ever been considered would simply be abused. If they were a little better educated they would understand how it works and they could have a reasonable resource of hunting meat available, but the fox in the henhouse mentality lives on.

The environmentalist Jose Antonio Matos said the lake’s swelling has now taken the crocs and other animals closer to human populations, where they are hunted.

I think there might be a translation issue. They are only attacking the crocs that are coming into contact where people are living.

It is also against the law to kill a croc for what I remember so the inhabitants are probably claiming self defense.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think there might be a translation issue. They are only attacking the crocs that are coming into contact where people are living.

It is also against the law to kill a croc for what I remember so the inhabitants are probably claiming self defense.

You know they are going into the pot.
The way I'm looking at it is that it has been noticed many crocs have been slaughtered and so the guilty are saying the crocs are coming to us, which is rubbish. Crocs will not go human hunting. Have we had 1 report of a human being attacked? NO! so where's the threat! The whole thing is bollox, it annoys me to think that they can get away with killing dinosaurs with this pi$$ poor excuse.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"Against the law"- what law- are you a newbie here? Of course they are going into the stew pot. My wife told me that when she was a kid they killed and ate every bird they could catch. Cow is killed on the road and it does not take long to disappear. These people are poor and up against it, what do you expect? The only solution is education. They dont get it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Against the law"- what law- are you a newbie here? Of course they are going into the stew pot. My wife told me that when she was a kid they killed and ate every bird they could catch. Cow is killed on the road and it does not take long to disappear. These people are poor and up against it, what do you expect? The only solution is education. They dont get it.

Dominicans, sadly, have a very neanderthal relationship with nature, and the environment. they litter everywhere, and they abuse animals, severely. i can hardly remember the last time i saw a bird. i see these guys walking iguanas on leashes. what is that? i do not think education is the problem, in some cases. it is evolution.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Dominicans, sadly, have a very neanderthal relationship with nature, and the environment. they litter everywhere, and they abuse animals, severely. i can hardly remember the last time i saw a bird. i see these guys walking iguanas on leashes. what is that? i do not think education is the problem, in some cases. it is evolution.

Gorgon, I feel offended because I'm from Neanderthal, plse don't compare us with Dominicans. ;)
However once in awhile I do some hunting and let me tell you that crocodile meat is excellent and so is iguana prepared in coconut oil, delicious like an angel is peeing on your tongue!!!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

or the lack of it....

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Better to let the crocs eat the little kids. They aren't in danger of becoming extinct!
Sorry, when they expand their territory it is because they aren't about to become extinct, but are thriving!
Der Fish

Not necessarily, as stated the lake has grown, so obviously they will invetigate, and animals are as likely to move to alternative areas due to lack of food as they are through over population.
The problem is once this starts it will not stop until every one has been BBq'd, I'll wager on it, this time next year the numbers are in danger.
As for the kids, yes I agree, reduce human numbers increase wildlife, people are gutted when they go to the DR thinking they are going to see wonderful colourful wildlife and don't even see a bird the entire visit.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Not necessarily, as stated the lake has grown, so obviously they will invetigate, and animals are as likely to move to alternative areas due to lack of food as they are through over population.
The problem is once this starts it will not stop until every one has been BBq'd, I'll wager on it, this time next year the numbers are in danger.
As for the kids, yes I agree, reduce human numbers increase wildlife, people are gutted when they go to the DR thinking they are going to see wonderful colourful wildlife and don't even see a bird the entire visit.

In all the time that I was in the DR I only saw about 4 vultures, they don't even have any food. Have seen hundreds of rats though.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011

WOOOOW! This is something that woke me up! A side from a park I know where there are a lot of pigeons, I think I never saw birds in Santo Domingo! Daaaamn!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Learn Spanish dweeb - if people were hunting crocodiles as you claim there would be no more left.

The last time I heard the word dweeb was about 30 years ago when my son was 10...........lol
Don't remember if he called me that or his mother........maybe both....

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's hard to tell a very poor person to preserve a species for the future.

Conservation and environmentalism is the domain of the wealthy.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The last time I heard the word dweeb was about 30 years ago when my son was 10...........lol
Don't remember if he called me that or his mother........maybe both....

B in Santiago

If it makes you feel better, never heard it :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unbeknownst to many the Medio Ambiente guys will lock one up for cutting down trees and killing crocs. My brother in law is a carpenter and has been to jail for cutting down trees and because of the Medio Ambientes work the Dominican crocodile was brought back from extinction in the 80's. Yes there are abuses now but the Medio Ambiente I'm sure is doing the best they can with their miserably low wages and budget.

Lago Enriquillo Crocodiles Dominican Republic - Guide To Caribbean Vacations