La Bodega in Cabarete

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thought yesterday, we would give this place a try with some friends visiting, as we felt like some tapa's.

Went there around 5 pm to be told there was no food till 6 pm.

We looked at the menu, and it was complete rubbish. If the owner thinks this is a tapa-bar, he urgently has to go and visit Spain to see how it should be done...

And on top of this, bloody expensive as well.

BelgianK

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Thought yesterday, we would give this place a try with some friends visiting, as we felt like some tapa's.

Went there around 5 pm to be told there was no food till 6 pm.

We looked at the menu, and it was complete rubbish. If the owner thinks this is a tapa-bar, he urgently has to go and visit Spain to see how it should be done...

And on top of this, bloody expensive as well.

BelgianK

Not knowing what a tapa was, I googled it and a place called Embocca in Cabarete came up on trip advisor. People seem to be raving about this place, so I am going to give it a try when I get back down. Thanks for the tip BelgianK, definetly going to stay away from La Bodega

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Embocca has a Spanish cook so tapa's there are good but full meals are also delicious. Bit more pricy but worth it.
Embocca is open from Friday evening until Sunday evening.

Acira

Aug 21, 2007
Haven't been to Embocca recently, but the times I went, it was unpredictable. I have had some great meals there....but that was 3 years ago or so.... and then some not so good. More recently, we would stop, the place was empty, we would have a cocktail and leave. Other times, it was closed. If they are serving meals, know that they are a bit pricier than other places. It is a great setting. As always, I wish restaurants well here. As a consumer, the more, the merrier. The setting is gorgeous and the layout of the place, really nice. If you do go to Embocca, young seniors, and eat, please report back.

Lindsey

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Haven't been there in a year or so but at that time LAX in Cabarete had some good tapas reasonably priced. And they were 2 for 1 during certain hours. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Jan 17, 2009
We went to La Bodega also thinking that as advertised, it was a tapa place. They have one large dish of "tapas", that is all. Not like you expect, to choose a variety of tapas. I ended up having filet. Got to admit it was pretty good and fairly priced for Cabarete.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Haven't been there in a year or so but at that time LAX in Cabarete had some good tapas reasonably priced. And they were 2 for 1 during certain hours. Does anyone know if that is still the case?
Lax is not where I would go for food. Tourist beach bar with marginal food and drink, poor service and high prices. But great location so they do well with tourists who never will be back.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Lax is not where I would go for food. Tourist beach bar with marginal food and drink, poor service and high prices. But great location so they do well with tourists who never will be back.

Having lived here for 7 years I know what LAX is all about, that's what made the tapas experience a surprise. At the time a good selection of real tapas offerings, well prepared and reasonably priced.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Having lived here for 7 years I know what LAX is all about, that's what made the tapas experience a surprise. At the time a good selection of real tapas offerings, well prepared and reasonably priced.
Well, I admit I haven't eaten there in about a year. So it has changed. Good.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Well, I admit I haven't eaten there in about a year. So it has changed. Good.

I meant that I know the tourist beach bar thing about LAX. That's why when we met some people there a year or so ago and tried the tapas we were really surprised. The special was early evening so we could eat and be gone before the wild and crazies came.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
We went to La Bodega also thinking that as advertised, it was a tapa place. They have one large dish of "tapas", that is all. Not like you expect, to choose a variety of tapas. I ended up having filet. Got to admit it was pretty good and fairly priced for Cabarete.

Did you see the separate Tapas menu? For some reason, the tapas plates are not listed on the main menu...but they have a pretty extensive list.

The meat is excellent..imported from Argentina I think...and last time I was there, they had three different French Bordeauxs for 550, 650, and 750 pesos a bottle...tried them all and they were all amazing for the price...

Jan 17, 2009
Embocca is in Cabarete East, going east from the center of town. The entrance is in the left (ocean side) before you get to the entrance to Camino del Sol.

Jan 17, 2009
i asked for the tapas menu but ince they told me it was a big fixed dish, sort of a sampler, i dedcided to pass. The waitress blurbed something g like it included Jason Serrano and cheese. I stopped her right there.

I don't believe I got imported filet. It was good though but it is a lot, lot better at Arsenio's.

Did you see the separate Tapas menu? For some reason, the tapas plates are not listed on the main menu...but they have a pretty extensive list.

The meat is excellent..imported from Argentina I think...and last time I was there, they had three different French Bordeauxs for 550, 650, and 750 pesos a bottle...tried them all and they were all amazing for the price...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I wanna go with you next time you buy dinner! Three bottles of wine!?!? Yummily!

LOL...re-reading that I realized I may have sounded like a lush!! I should have added that there was a group of us drinking the wine. I think we actually went through 6 or 7 bottles, including a couple of house whites which were good also...

Kahuna

Jun 29, 2009
LOL...re-reading that I realized I may have sounded like a lush!! I should have added that there was a group of us drinking the wine. I think we actually went through 6 or 7 bottles, including a couple of house whites which were good also...

I've been to La Bodega lots and have to totally agree with David I think they have some of the best and best priced wine in Cabarete and everytime I have eaten there it as been great

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

How many years ago was that? French Bordeaux at those prices?????. Amazing yes.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The only menu we saw, was the one written on the napkin holders, and some crayon writing on a blackboard. That menu consisted mostly of some pickles, and some olives. And, oh yes, some gooseliver pate for 990 rds.

We asked for another menu, but apparently there was none, or the waitress was not allowed to give it before 6pm.

Nevertheless a very strange way to run a business.

I would also like to buy that French Bordeaux for 550 rds, even at super super, let alone a restaurant.

BelgianK

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
How many years ago was that? French Bordeaux at those prices?????. Amazing yes.

This was about 2 months ago...

They weren't on the menu (maybe they have menu issues!), but were brought to us as specials for the day..or I presume until they ran out...

Hmmm...I now have the urge to go there...anyone up for it early or mid next week? Wine, Churrasco and cigars? (and Tapas if they have it ?!?)