Marriage Certificates in DR

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
I am Canadian, my husband is Dominican. I just found a picture of him and a DR girl and they are both wearing wedding rings. Since the marriage certificates are filed by municipality, they cannot be checked or verified, is it possible that he married again and now has 2 wives. Is there anyway for me to find out? I know it is illegal but there is no system in place in DR to check.

Thanks,
Lisa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cannot help you legal-wise but many dominicans never marry yet still call their partners wife/husband and wear wedding rings. it really means nothing here. not to mention the couple could be "married" in any church which is not legally biding. the only religion allowed a concordate wedding is roman catholic and even then the church is obliged to present the paperwork to the oficina de estado civil within certain time, should they fail to do so the marriage is not, in fact, regognized by the state. i know many dominican couples and only handful of them are legally married.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why Not?

I am Canadian, my husband is Dominican. I just found a picture of him and a DR girl and they are both wearing wedding rings.

There is still (though little) hope.

1. The girl in the picture is his "sister" (married to somebody else).
2. Fernando is muslim and thus can have a few wives. No problem, you'd be one of them... ;)

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go back and read "Lisa's Posts"from 3 years ago!
Interesting read!
She should have believed all the DR1 "Sad Stories" in the "Mars/Venus" forum.
Forwarned,Is Forarmed!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Sympathy????????????,"Not-So-Much"!

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
I did not ask for anyone's sympathy. I was just wondering if there was any way to find out.
Thanks for your thoughts.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i were you i would look at your own marriage. do you have a certificate? did you get married in church or in front of the oficial de oficina de estado cilil? did you both sign the papers? did you check whether the documents bear correctly spelled names? (your name, specifically) were there witnesses? did they sign? did everyone involved present their cedulas?

other than that there is little you can do, especially if you are in canada. you could get a private eye to have it checked or you could do a little of internet search yourself if you know the name of the girl.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lisa,
Put a "Period",and move on with your life,WITHOUT,"Mister Wrong"!
People who want to find a "Marriage Certificate" in the DR can't!
So don't worry about anyone finding out if you want to re-marry in the future.No one will be able to prove that you are already married,at least not with any "papers" from here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
It doesn't seem there is a way to verify this. Sometimes foreigners who post are looking for information on how to get copies of their own marriage certificates in the DR. It's not that easy and they know the details. You don't know anything except his information.

If you paid someone to do a search, it's likely to come up with no record of a marriage--as you wouldn't have enough information to give them, and even if you did there'd be no gurantee of accuracy.

What did he say when you asked him?

If you're happy with your marriage, accept his answer and let it go.

If you're not happy with your marriage (and let's face it, you have doubts), keep asking around, check facebook, ask his family about the picture and you'll find out the truth eventually. If he is still in contact with her and she is, infact his wife, you should be able to find out as well. Could just be someone in his past. If she's part of his past, you can probably carry on. If she's in his present, it's probably time to move on.

Don't entertain the thought that if you find out he's a bigamist you'll get the marriage annulled, get him kicked out of Canada, etc., (unless you are a lawyer.) It just doesn't work that way.

Good luck to you. Hope you find the information you need.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
if i were you i would look at your own marriage. do you have a certificate? did you get married in church or in front of the oficial de oficina de estado cilil? did you both sign the papers? did you check whether the documents bear correctly spelled names? (your name, specifically) were there witnesses? did they sign? did everyone involved present their cedulas?

other than that there is little you can do, especially if you are in canada. you could get a private eye to have it checked or you could do a little of internet search yourself if you know the name of the girl.

Maybe the OP had a fake marriage. She won't be the first one neither the last one.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe the OP had a fake marriage. She won't be the first one neither the last one.

You mean people think they are married and they aren't? Didn't know that happened. I know Dominicans who are creative with who they marry. Do the "fake marriages" you refer to hold up under scrutiny? (From the consulate, etc.)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
cannot help you legal-wise but many dominicans never marry yet still call their partners wife/husband and wear wedding rings. it really means nothing here. not to mention the couple could be "married" in any church which is not legally biding. the only religion allowed a concordate wedding is roman catholic and even then the church is obliged to present the paperwork to the oficina de estado civil within certain time, should they fail to do so the marriage is not, in fact, regognized by the state. i know many dominican couples and only handful of them are legally married.

The law changed in January dv8 - you can now marry legally in an evangelical church.
More than 2000 pastors will be able to perform non-Catholic marriages - DiarioLibre.com

Matilda

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
La Rubia;1082613[B said:
]You mean people think they are married and they aren't[/B]? Didn't know that happened. I know Dominicans who are creative with who they marry. Do the "fake marriages" you refer to hold up under scrutiny? (From the consulate, etc.)

Exactly. The dominican spouse knows it though. I think there has been a thread about it a few years ago. There have been articles in newspapers and on television here in Canada.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mat, i did not know the evengelical church can do concordate weddings. in any case, i presume the OP has been married longer than 4 months and this law would not have applied here.
rubia, we had a thread last year about fake resort marriages. basically the couple were never registered in the civil office hence the marriage was not legal.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans say "Mi Esposa/o" like they are really legally married,few actually are.
If your husband was working at a resort,or other place where tourists gather,you must know the score.
They have a baby with a Dominicana,and their "job",is sleeoing with tourists for money,and hopefully a real marrige,and a visa.
If they are that fortunate,they go to thier benefactors country to live,Maybe work,and will send money to their Dominican"Esposa".
Like I asked before,does he travel alone to the DR?
Does he send money to his "Mother" from time to time?
If the answer is "Yes", then he is still with his dominican "other" when he is here.
I have slept with dozens of Dominican girls,"former" prostitutes now living abroad.They come home on vacation at least once a year for a month or more.They go right back into the "life" about 2 days after they arrive.
You would think they would be glad to not have to do that,but they do.
The former "Sankeys" do the same thing!
That is the price you pay for marrying "Down" with someone you wouldn't be caught dead with in your home country.
Different cultures,language,religion,customs,and values.
After the sex isn't so all consuming,you have nothing left.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Live and learn. Seems like if you have a certificate, you're ok. Makes me wonder about posters who post asking how to get a copy of the certificate. Seems they may be potential victims.

If OP brought hubby to Canada, hopefully that's not her case. She's got enough on her hands as it is.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Live and learn. Seems like if you have a certificate, you're ok. Makes me wonder about posters who post asking how to get a copy of the certificate. Seems they may be potential victims.

If OP brought hubby to Canada, hopefully that's not her case. She's got enough on her hands as it is.

Don't know if she brought him, she tried though but she never came back to tell us if he was accepted or denied.

09-06-2009, 07:44 PM #15 lisa.jensen
I did do the representative form and faxed it, then mailed it. They are contacting us through email now. My husband got his interview date for October 7, 2009. Yeah!!

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
They NEVER listen, they just think people are so mean..

She probably is having a miserable time with him in Canada, and if she can prove he has two wives she can ship his ass back. :) Maybe?! Just a thought..

Does she think the marriage happened BEFORE or AFTER her wedding? Probably found the pic on facebook right? Facebook is good for that.. :)