Travel advisory from USA embassy for Highway between Boca Chica and Juan Dolio

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
Received today in my email:

Security Message to U.S. Citizens: Driving Alert

This Security Message is to alert U.S. citizens to recent crimes on the road between Boca Chica and Juan Dolio. We advise you to take precautionary measures and avoid traveling this stretch of road, particularly during darkness hours.

In one incident, a minivan was taking airline employees to a hotel in Juan Dolio from the airport. A white Lexus SUV posing as a police vehicle with flashing blue lights attempted to stop the minivan by racing alongside it, yelling, and shining a spotlight on the minivan. The minivan sped up to avoid an encounter and eventually the SUV turned around and headed in the opposite direction. Police do not normally conduct stops from a vehicle as U.S. police would do. Instead, they will set up check points with several police officers, and will indicate for you to stop.

In a separate incident, a driver was changing a flat tire on his vehicle when an SUV pulled behind him and the occupants attempted to rob him. The victim attempted to draw a weapon to defend himself and was shot and killed at the scene. His weapon and cellular phone were the only things taken.

Vary your times and routes to and from work
Keep your doors locked and windows closed (residence and vehicle)
Check the interior and exterior of your vehicle prior to getting into your vehicle. Look for things that are irregular or abnormal.
Be unpredictable when possible in both your work and social schedules.
Always be aware of your surroundings.
In traffic, always attempt to leave space in which to maneuver. Always leave yourself an exit. Be prepared to take evasive action at any time.
Avoid choke points in travel. Be wary of diversions.
If you are being followed or harassed by another driver, try to find the nearest police station, hotel, or other public facility to call the Police. Never lead the person back to your home or stop and get out.
Whenever possible, do not have a set day for shopping, errands and personal needs. Be unpredictable.
Public transportation vehicles such as the route taxis (“carros publicos”) and urban buses (“guaguas”) are unsafe and should not be used.

U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad should enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP) at the following website: https://travelregistration.state.gov. U.S. citizens without internet access may enroll directly at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at their destination. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy to contact them in case of emergency.

Updated information on travel and security may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. For further information, please consult the Worldwide Caution and other consular information, including Country Specific Information, for specific countries. These products and the latest international travel information for U.S. citizens are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet website at http://travel.state.gov.

For any emergencies involving American citizens in the Dominican Republic, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Section Embassy is located at the corner of Cesar Nicolas Penson Street and M?ximo G?mez Avenue, Santo Domingo, D.R.; telephone 809-221-2171; e-mail acssantodom@state.gov. For more information, visit our web page http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There was a very serious thread on that stretch of road a very looooooong time ago.

Too little, too late...............IMO

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Please elaborate.
Who are the rats?
What cage?

donP
A rat in a cage can make a cute pet. Two rats are cute. A family of rats become pleasantly chaotic.

But at some point there are more rats than the cage can support, and they become violent and even eat each other. Reduce the food and water supply (basic resources for rats) and the violence begins earlier and more pronounced.

Every society has its limits. When exceeded, folks wonder "what his happening and why?" I don't.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ratty

A rat in a cage can make a cute pet. Two rats are cute. A family of rats become pleasantly chaotic.

But at some point there are more rats than the cage can support, and they become violent and even eat each other. Reduce the food and water supply (basic resources for rats) and the violence begins earlier and more pronounced.

Every society has its limits. When exceeded, folks wonder "what his happening and why?" I don't.

I see.
But is it not so that the cage (you are referring to a whole country, I suppose) is fairly large and good farming land idle so the rats can be fed?
(BTW, do rats eat sea weed?)

Is there not enough water for the poor rats? Oh, contaminated, I presume...
Do rats carry cholera?

Violence?
Hmm, but that happens everywhere? (So, I am often told here.)

So, all is good.

donP

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Cops don't stop you in DR??? What are they talking about? If your tail lights are out they will stop you!

We all know what can happen if you don't stop for a DR cop...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I see.
But is it not so that the cage (you are referring to a whole country, I suppose) is fairly large and good farming land idle so the rats can be fed?
(BTW, do rats eat sea weed?)

Is there not enough water for the poor rats? Oh, contaminated, I presume...
Do rats carry cholera?

Violence?
Hmm, but that happens everywhere? (So, I am often told here.)

So, all is good.

donP
It's a simple analogy with complex underpinnings. Poor utilization of resources may create scarcity and thusly violence among cagemates.

Often we create our own cages.

But when a population of a given area exceeds the ability of that area to support the population in the manner the population thinks it should be supported...well...the size of the cage isn't the real issue. It's the rats.

I routinely get asked by our guests about law and the application of said law. You know, traffic cops, police doing neighborhood security, judicial transparency, etc.

My answer is routine and rhetorical: "If a law isn't enforced, does it exist?"

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
They advise to NOT take the guaguas. I have felt quite safe taking them from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica. Maybe they are more dangerous at night.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They advise to NOT take the guaguas. I have felt quite safe taking them from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica. Maybe they are more dangerous at night.

EVERYWHERE in DR is more dangerous at night. We try not to go out after dark. When my mother-in-law died last month, we had to drive into Santo Domingo for 11 nights in a row, for the funeral and for the 9 nights of Masses, which were at 6 p.m. Had to drive almost an hour back home each evening, and believe me, we were careful.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Good morning guys,

So what's the 'best practice' for stopping for police at night? I seem to recall a musician near barahona didn't stop for police and they shot up her car?

I'm not sure if the 'check point' test is the best one. Once I was stopped near La Romana at a check point where the guys weren't wearing police uniforms, just shirts that said 'G2' or 'J2'. Stupid gringo that I am immediately stopped. But it wouldn't be hard to print a shirt that says 'J2'...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CABRERA

We finished dinner last nite... it was dark.
My wife offered to drive the housekeeper home.... nothing, 5 minutes.

The housekeeper insisted that my wife not go alone.... she wanted a manle in the car.

And thats in Cabrera----

I don't agree, but complied -- interupting the hockey game!!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Most of the time it is not advisable to drive any distance in the DR. Take scheduled bus/coach services or known gaguas. You hear of attacks every 2 weeks or so.

pi2.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CABRERA

We finished dinner last nite... it was dark.
My wife offered to drive the housekeeper home.... nothing, 5 minutes.

The housekeeper insisted that my wife not go alone.... she wanted a manle in the car.

And thats in Cabrera----

I don't agree, but complied -- interupting the hockey game!!

I'm not surprised at that WW. Our maid lives just down the street from us. Several times it was time for her to leave, but my husband was out [ferreteria, buying propane, etc.] and she wouldn't leave me alone in the house. I told her I was fine and totally okay with her leaving [this is broad daylight]. She would stubbornly remain until he came back, certain that some harm would come to me if she left.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, I'm not surprised either... PLUS, its nice to know that when you're surrounded by the right people, you're in a comfort zone.

Thats harder to find in some parts of the country....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
rent a Lexus and do a couple of robberies ? dominican resourcefullness at work again....:ermm:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
rent a Lexus and do a couple of robberies ? dominican resourcefullness at work again....:ermm:

RENT a Lexus?? I thought he was inferring that stealing the Lexus was their first crime of that particular evening.......