playa dorada allegro hotel closed

danmonte

Jan 27, 2012
Another closing on the Playa Dorada area -- the Allegro Hotel ( one of the original "luxury resorts" for the 1980s -- formerly called Jack Tar). Even as Caesar de los Santos (tourism minister) is touting the idea that tourism has returned and that there is 100% occupancy, another major chain closes for so-called renovations -- throwing more workers out-of-work. Clearly, the national government has to pay some attention to the problems of north coast tourism. But, I fear, that after the election (particularly if Medina is elected with most of his support from the south) tourism in the north will be "moth-balled".

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I'm surprised the whole complex is still open...

... oh the crazy days of Mangu, Crazy Moon, Andromeda... where I... (nevermind) :D

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The vast majority of resorts at Playa Dorada have been in a depression for years yet there will always be delusional clowns claiming ludicrous occupancy rates as if they have anything to do with capacity.

I have had some great times there at Jack Tar, Paradise, Fun Royale, Villas Dorada, and Dorado Club but I can't see myself ever going back again.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Another closing on the Playa Dorada area -- the Allegro Hotel ( one of the original "luxury resorts" for the 1980s -- formerly called Jack Tar). Even as Caesar de los Santos (tourism minister) is touting the idea that tourism has returned and that there is 100% occupancy, another major chain closes for so-called renovations -- throwing more workers out-of-work. Clearly, the national government has to pay some attention to the problems of north coast tourism. But, I fear, that after the election (particularly if Medina is elected with most of his support from the south) tourism in the north will be "moth-balled".

It seems logical, anyone on the north coast or Santiago should hope Papa wins. Especially people living on dollars! Can you say 60-1 exchange rate?

nordique

Apr 6, 2012

i was at Grand Ventana and Paradise last year and the occupancy was not even half of the capacity .

Feb 7, 2007
I don"t think Puerto Plata will be "back" as destination... after reading a brief but very informative textbook on destination management, I think the glory days of Puerto Plata are all gone never to be back...they erred...and now pay the consequence.
Punta Cana still has a chance to "not cross" the line of a never return....

winning

Apr 28, 2012
I don"t think Puerto Plata will be "back" as destination... after reading a brief but very informative textbook on destination management, I think the glory days of Puerto Plata are all gone never to be back...they erred...and now pay the consequence.
Punta Cana still has a chance to "not cross" the line of a never return....

Most all inclusive vacation people, spend little time outside the resort. Especially the one week durations.
Knowing that, why go to the north coast, when Punta Cana has way nicer, newer, larger hotels?
It simply doesn't make any sense .....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
not to mention that once el catey airport opens to us flights, the north coast is definitely finito.......

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I think it is long overdue. We went there a few years back for a friend's birthday celebration and it was the most appalling place I have ever been and had the trashiest group of guests...ugghhhh.