Santo DOmingo Not That dangerous

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I hate when people label Santo DOMingo and the DR as very dangerous. It is not as dangerous as people think. My freind in Santo DOMingo immediately informed me how safe it was the first night I was there and he was right. It is just stay away from the bad neighborhoods and do not walk alone after dark. I did some research and found the following site that lists dangerous cities. Santo Domingo has 23 muders per 100,000 people which is the same as puerto rico while New Orleans has 57 per 100,000 and st. louis has 47 per 100,000 and so on. I was not sure how safe everyone felt in Santo Domingo.

These are some sites form my research if anyone was interested:

City Mayors: Latin America's most murderous cities

The 50 most dangerous cities in the world

The Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I hate when people label Santo DOMingo and the DR as very dangerous. It is not as dangerous as people think. My freind in Santo DOMingo immediately informed me how safe it was the first night I was there and he was right. It is just stay away from the bad neighborhoods and do not walk alone after dark. I did some research and found the following site that lists dangerous cities. Santo Domingo has 23 muders per 100,000 people which is the same as puerto rico while New Orleans has 57 per 100,000 and st. louis has 47 per 100,000 and so on. I was not sure how safe everyone felt in Santo Domingo.

The cities in the USA you name have real bad gang problem. When gang members kill one another it drives up the homicide rate.

Now for Santo Domingo, if I give keys to a 2012 Lexus and drive the streets of Santo Domingo your chance of being a victim of a violent crime goes through the roof. Now that same car in St. Louis, New Orleans NOTHING will happen to you. This is what makes SD so dangerous if people think you have money even the National Police will target you.

BtW this list is nonsense I can tell you Springfield IL is NOT more dangerous then Chicago IL.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Dear Gringobachata7 (I guess GB1 through 6 were taken? lol)

What the statistics that you quote miss is the following -

I've live in santo domingo for 4 years. I'm in a middle class neighborhood.
I'm not worried about being murdered, but lately, I am worried about getting robbed at night...
Also I don't drive at night as it's too dangerous given how drunk and crazy people drive...

So what the statistics miss is the robberies and thefts. If i was robbed, I probably wouldn't report it.
Even if I did, I doubt it would end up on the website that you're quoting, as the reporting isn't centralized here.

Hence... it's not the danger that you know (statistics about murders), it's the danger you don't know (lack of statistics about assaults, robbery, and drunk driving) that makes life a bit more dangerous in santo domingo.

But honestly, living is dangerous, so don't let these things hold you back from visiting.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now for Santo Domingo, if I give keys to a 2012 Lexus and drive the streets of Santo Domingo your chance of being a victim of a violent crime goes through the roof. This is what makes SD so dangerous if people think you have money even the National Police will target you.
Oooh, that explains why people are afraid of driving luxury cars in Santo Domingo. Its even palpable to the naked eye.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jqaK1Q27G38?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oLzKGccalIM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

People are just too afraid. So sad. :rolleyes:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Now for Santo Domingo, if I give keys to a 2012 Lexus and drive the streets of Santo Domingo your chance of being a victim of a violent crime goes through the roof. Now that same car in St. Louis, New Orleans NOTHING will happen to you. This is what makes SD so dangerous if people think you have money even the National Police will target you.

[video=youtube;Qw9oX-kZ_9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/video]

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Those videos were taken in the middle of the day.

Do us all a favor and go out there 12 hours later and make some videos.

You might want to paste a note on the camera to ask in case a ladrone steals it from you to please post the videos on DR1 for you.

Oooh, that explains why people are afraid of driving luxury cars in Santo Domingo. Its even palpable to the naked eye.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jqaK1Q27G38?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oLzKGccalIM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
What are we saying here, that the streets become quiet after dark, really? Just a simple international rule of safety, stay away from rough barrios, and unfamiliar areas, don't take any unfamiliar short cuts at night and you will get to where you are going in one piece. Always keep your windows up at night.
Hang out in the sewer and you're going to get covered in sh1t, that should be obvious, why people are drawn to barrios when they don't know where they are is beyond me, but they deserve everything they get,just as they would if hanging out in a sewer back home, you can't avoid the sh1t forever.
You struggle to see as many nice vehicles on the road in any city in the world, including the more wealthy parts of Southern France, Southern Spain etc.
I think what car you are driving has less to do with how your journey will go as far as being robbed, and more about your common sense.

There are lots of psychos on the street that will bend a length of rebar over your skull for 100pesos. It doesn't matter what car you are in when you come across nutters. Many of my Dom side of the family drive cabs and greentops, 2 in the last 8 months have been shot, one in the head and has survived, the other a couple of times as he grappled for his own gun and didn't. Abuelo Gonza was held up at night in Villa Mella in his new taxi for his takings, he told them he didn't have any money and they left him after a bit of drama, no doubt if he had encountered one of the others the other family members had he would have been shot also. There are loads of shootings every day, but getting shot doesn't mean death.
I saw an unarmed guy get 6 pumped into him once, maybe 8 year ago on the Northcoast, I was quite shocked being British n all, wasn't like in the movies, the guy survived and was slung in the back of a pickup like a side of beef. Danger doesn't mean murder so you can't judge danger by murder rates, although a high murder rate isn't very appealing.

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
i blame the newspapers & the press they only highlight bad news, but all the positive things that hapens daily in my beloved country surpass by a great margen all those sad stories

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

<iframe height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jqaK1Q27G38?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oLzKGccalIM?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I understand that you are Dominican, but DR1 target group are non Dominicans some of you don't understand that. Yes if a Dominican family has a expensive SUV then they most likely will not be vicitmized because they now there country.

Now if a family from Japan or Iowa drove down the streets in a expensive SUV they will have problems once the country men of DR see they are NOT Dominicans.

So if I move to SD with my Mexican daughter and her mom and I drove a Range Rover Sport 2011 are you telling your Bullsh*t a** National Police and AMET will not target my family because of our car? Look I am not a ROOKIE in SD I know that city as if it was my own.

I rented a late model Infiniti FX and there are plenty of them on the street, so why everytime I drove upon a check AMET made me stop? BTW I would never drive an expensive car in San Juan PR and that is my fathers homeland. Don't compare crime in SD to crimes in the States is my point.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
As far as foreigners go maybe it has a lot to do with the way people carry themselves, I see patterns in personalities and problems.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

And your point is???

This has been beat to death. For every statistic you have, someone else has a BETTER or WORSE statistic.

SHALENA

donP

Dec 14, 2008

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
What are we saying here, that the streets become quiet after dark, really? Just a simple international rule of safety, stay away from rough barrios, and unfamiliar areas, don't take any unfamiliar short cuts at night and you will get to where you are going in one piece. Always keep your windows up at night.
Hang out in the sewer and you're going to get covered in sh1t, that should be obvious, why people are drawn to barrios when they don't know where they are is beyond me, but they deserve everything they get,just as they would if hanging out in a sewer back home, you can't avoid the sh1t forever.
You struggle to see as many nice vehicles on the road in any city in the world, including the more wealthy parts of Southern France, Southern Spain etc.
I think what car you are driving has less to do with how your journey will go as far as being robbed, and more about your common sense.

There are lots of psychos on the street that will bend a length of rebar over your skull for 100pesos. It doesn't matter what car you are in when you come across nutters. Many of my Dom side of the family drive cabs and greentops, 2 in the last 8 months have been shot, one in the head and has survived, the other a couple of times as he grappled for his own gun and didn't. Abuelo Gonza was held up at night in Villa Mella in his new taxi for his takings, he told them he didn't have any money and they left him after a bit of drama, no doubt if he had encountered one of the others the other family members had he would have been shot also. There are loads of shootings every day, but getting shot doesn't mean death.
I saw an unarmed guy get 6 pumped into him once, maybe 8 year ago on the Northcoast, I was quite shocked being British n all, wasn't like in the movies, the guy survived and was slung in the back of a pickup like a side of beef. Danger doesn't mean murder so you can't judge danger by murder rates, although a high murder rate isn't very appealing.

Let me tell you a little secret about CRIME and people who commit them.

One of the worlds biggest misconception is crime only happen in barrios and poor people commit most of the crimes. Nothing can be further from the truth. Do not factor in gang violence because that is something totally different when talking about crime and how dangerous a city is.

You are from London no? Let say you and your family move to SD and you have a nice home, cars, furniture money in a safe. Do you know who is most likey to set up in that very expensive barrio you live? YOUR OWN NEIGBORS!!! What I have learned is rich people are more jealous of each other then poor could ever be in DR. RIch people become MORE dangerous then poor people when they become desperate of losing their money. Killing robbing no problema ALL of those upper class Dominicans so many of you speak of will SET YOU UP in a heartbeat if NEEDED.

I read these threads and always read" you need to have a better set of friends, stop hanging out in barrios, date a woman from a upper class family" and I just sit back and smile. What some of you have to understand a Dominican is Dominicano FIRST regardless of the barrio they live in. That is why the upper class try so hard to distance themselves from the barrio people. Do some of you believe the people of Piantini or La Castellana have NO BLOOD on their hands PLEASE!!! They want outsiders to believe that we are upper class,so we have no need to cheat, rob, lie and kill.

The reason why I never got played in DR, " HOW R U GOING TO PLAY A PLAYER"

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
In the present world, I can say that you are safe no where. You just have to use your commonsense to be safe. I live in DR continuously for the past three years and thank the robbers that I am safe still now. I had lived in areas from Barrio to Middleclass neighborhood to very isolated private houses. And my primary mode of transportation is motoconchos and i use them very extensively to the extent that I pay almost 500 pesos everyday on it.
But I had lost few items from my house, like a camera, tools and things like that. You know for this the robber is not from outside. The main thing you should consider in most cases the robbery will be done by the associates of you or his acquaintances. No matter how close he is to you. A recent example, yesterday house of my friend was broke-in. He last his inverter, laptop and few other things. Later it was found that the thieves are son of his house owner and boyfriend of his girlfriend???!!!!.
So just use your commonsense and enjoy the beauty of the island. I cannot even say that I will be safe in my own village in my native country.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The cities in the USA you name have real bad gang problem. When gang members kill one another it drives up the homicide rate.

BtW this list is nonsense I can tell you Springfield IL is NOT more dangerous then Chicago IL.

Let me tell you a little secret about CRIME and people who commit them.

One of the worlds biggest misconception is crime only happen in barrios and poor people commit most of the crimes. Nothing can be further from the truth. Do not factor in gang violence because that is something totally different when talking about crime and how dangerous a city is.

You are from London no? Let say you and your family move to SD and you have a nice home, cars, furniture money in a safe. Do you know who is most likey to set up in that very expensive barrio you live? YOUR OWN NEIGBORS!!! What I have learned is rich people are more jealous of each other then poor could ever be in DR. RIch people become MORE dangerous then poor people when they become desperate of losing their money. Killing robbing no problema ALL of those upper class Dominicans so many of you speak of will SET YOU UP in a heartbeat if NEEDED.

I read these threads and always read" you need to have a better set of friends, stop hanging out in barrios, date a woman from a upper class family" and I just sit back and smile. What some of you have to understand a Dominican is Dominicano FIRST regardless of the barrio they live in. That is why the upper class try so hard to distance themselves from the barrio people. Do some of you believe the people of Piantini or La Castellana have NO BLOOD on their hands PLEASE!!! They want outsiders to believe that we are upper class,so we have no need to cheat, rob, lie and kill.

The reason why I never got played in DR, " HOW R U GOING TO PLAY A PLAYER"

No I'm not from London, every time you get it wrong, have you not learned to stop this speculation, you're terrible at it.

You don't need to tell me any secrets, and there is no misconception in the world that rich people are clean from crime, sorry to disappoint you Columbo, but it's not one of the worlds biggest misconceptions, for sure.

The thread is not about wealthy people having each other tit for tat at equal level either, and I certainly don't see wealthy people breaking into each others homes and robbing each other on the street, maybe you do, sure you'll get the very rare occurance some rich kid is shot dead for doing something stupid but it is not the normal and so can not be generalized as the other examples can. It is about how dangerous the Capital is, street level, and then you and your Lexus theory which I find unusual for the capital, foreigners by far drive the crap cars there.

But in the Cap, not THAT many foreigners drive in comparisson to the North or East, central and so I don't see where there is a real issue. In the cap, I've never heard or noticed an overwhelming interest towards foreigners in cars, I don't even see how it could be when it is so busy, with so much going on, cherry picking cars would be almost impossible for them, so............................

But we all have different experiences, you get lots of negative attention where I don't, that's cool.

You mention being a player as if it is a good thing? This answers a lot to me, why pretty much all you post is does not reflect my opinion, chalk and cheese. You think being a player is cool, I think being a player is desperate. You think wealthy people are more likely to rob you, I have never known or experienced this. In fact not a lot of what you say makes sense to me. And I'm sure the reason you never got played in DR is because you are a player, well done, it all makes sense now:bored:

If we want to take it to the level of who is most likely to rip you off in the DR, by far other expats are more likely to let other expats down, rob, thieve, abuse situations. For some reason people drop their guard a little when dealing with other expats, I know of many including myself who have expereinced this first hand, far more than have been done over by Doms.

But it is what it is, and that's what a big city is all about, a clusterfuk of oddbods making their way. Good luck!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Dominican thugs love crimes of opportunity...If the thug/thugs sees you (even if you're not alone) in a spot without lot of people, they will try to rob you...

My wife and sister-in-law were robbed (attempted) in the Praderas park (middle income neighborhood, best neighborhood in the whole country if you ask me) one afternoon (broad day light) by a punk with a 10" knife. My crazy wife, thinking she is Chuck Norris, kicked the punk in the nads and ran off yelling "ladron, ladron". About 2 minutes later I arrived and with two motorcycle cops, went off looking for the punk who was by himself and on foot (idiot)... Found this kid (couldnt have been older than 17) hiding in an abandoned/empty lot with the knife nearby. Proceeded to "teach him his lesson"....

He was released a few hours later to his parents without being charged.... armed robbery and nothing happened to him because he was 17.... Nothing but a few bruises....

A few months later my sister-in-law was again robbed in the same park, maybe 50 ft from the spot of the first robbery... This time they had guns, were three of them, and they took eveything she had and robbed everyone she was with (2 girls and 3 guys had everything taken from them). Again this was around 3pm......

THe most important thing to not becoming a victim is using your brain... Always be on alert for guys on motorcycle.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Dominican thugs love crimes of opportunity...If the thug/thugs sees you (even if you're not alone) in a spot without lot of people, they will try to rob you...

My wife and sister-in-law were robbed (attempted) in the Praderas park (middle income neighborhood, best neighborhood in the whole country if you ask me) one afternoon (broad day light) by a punk with a 10" knife. My crazy wife, thinking she is Chuck Norris, kicked the punk in the nads and ran off yelling "ladron, ladron". About 2 minutes later I arrived and with two motorcycle cops, went off looking for the punk who was by himself and on foot (idiot)... Found this kid (couldnt have been older than 17) hiding in an abandoned/empty lot with the knife nearby. Proceeded to "teach him his lesson"....

He was released a few hours later to his parents without being charged.... armed robbery and nothing happened to him because he was 17.... Nothing but a few bruises....

A few months later my sister-in-law was again robbed in the same park, maybe 50 ft from the spot of the first robbery... This time they had guns, were three of them, and they took eveything she had and robbed everyone she was with (2 girls and 3 guys had everything taken from them). Again this was around 3pm......

THe most important thing to not becoming a victim is using your brain... Always be on alert for guys on motorcycle.

You are scaring me. I live right next to the Praderas park and had never heard of any robbery here, the place is full of police as well. (or perhaps that's the problem)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
No I'm not from London, every time you get it wrong, have you not learned to stop this speculation, you're terrible at it.

You don't need to tell me any secrets, and there is no misconception in the world that rich people are clean from crime, sorry to disappoint you Columbo, but it's not one of the worlds biggest misconceptions, for sure.

The thread is not about wealthy people having each other tit for tat at equal level either, and I certainly don't see wealthy people breaking into each others homes and robbing each other on the street, maybe you do, sure you'll get the very rare occurance some rich kid is shot dead for doing something stupid but it is not the normal and so can not be generalized as the other examples can. It is about how dangerous the Capital is, street level, and then you and your Lexus theory which I find unusual for the capital, foreigners by far drive the crap cars there.

But in the Cap, not THAT many foreigners drive in comparisson to the North or East, central and so I don't see where there is a real issue. In the cap, I've never heard or noticed an overwhelming interest towards foreigners in cars, I don't even see how it could be when it is so busy, with so much going on, cherry picking cars would be almost impossible for them, so............................

But we all have different experiences, you get lots of negative attention where I don't, that's cool.

You mention being a player as if it is a good thing? This answers a lot to me, why pretty much all you post is does not reflect my opinion, chalk and cheese. You think being a player is cool, I think being a player is desperate. You think wealthy people are more likely to rob you, I have never known or experienced this. In fact not a lot of what you say makes sense to me. And I'm sure the reason you never got played in DR is because you are a player, well done, it all makes sense now:bored:

If we want to take it to the level of who is most likely to rip you off in the DR, by far other expats are more likely to let other expats down, rob, thieve, abuse situations. For some reason people drop their guard a little when dealing with other expats, I know of many including myself who have expereinced this first hand, far more than have been done over by Doms.

But it is what it is, and that's what a big city is all about, a clusterfuk of oddbods making their way. Good luck!

I hate to break the news to you but England is known only by LONDON!!! OK you are from England did you really need to point this out.

Everytime YOU have the chance you tell a poster they have problems because of the people they hangout with mainly people from the barrio. Most of the people KNOW you are not Dominican or a latino, so you will see a totally different DR through your eyes. In the DR I am DOMINICAN until I say" YO NO DOMINICANO" then sometimes people still don't believe I am not Dominican until I show my Illinios Drivers License. When they see the M in my name which stand for Marquez then I have to explain my Puerto Rican side to some BS cop when I am stopped, and after all this some still believe I'm Dominican and just lying.

Most of my info regarding how bad things are in the capital I get from the "AIRPORT" from tourist visiting DR. People told me they had to give cops 5000RD because they did not understand Spanish and they were afraid. Santo Domingo recieves A LOT of " one time visitors". People have told me how awful Santo Domingo is and they can't wait to go home and will never return. You are a British most people do not think the British are friendly so they will most likely not talk to you in the airport, or you may look unfriendly I do not know.

Lastly let me make this clear so you can understand. FOREIGNERS have no problem displaying their wealth in the US. In the DR a foreigner is asking for trouble if they display wealth on a regular basis.

BTW By your own admission you are a gringo with a Dominican wife , so Dominicans ALL DOMINICANS see you as a gringo that likes Dominican women nothing more nothing less. They will never show you their darkest deepest family secrets, because you are not Dominican. You state the OBVIOUS all the time because you are unable to look beyond their deceptive appearance. I have visited many countries from Ireland to Nevis and I have NEVER MET so many CON ARTISTS like I meet in DR from upper class to lower class.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife's cousins live in San Carlos neighbourhood in Santo Domingo, just about two blocks from Ave Mexico and Chinatown. During the day I feel safe there but they all tell me night is very dangerous in San Carlos, and that break-ins are common. My wife lived in Santo Domingo for 11 years ( 1979 - 1990) and say's it seems more dangerous now than the past.
Once when travelling with a friend in Santo Domingo East they told me to get away from the window so nobody could tell I was a Gringo. That was definitely a bad neighbourhood ( near the naval base).
A number of times , even in Jarabacoa, we have been walking, and somebody will warn us not to go down a certain street...etc., or for me not to walk alone. Maybe Dominicans are paranoid, but maybe there's reasons for that.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
I hate to break the news to you but England is known only by LONDON!!! OK you are from England did you really need to point this out.

Like you are from New York and I'm from Amsterdam.

Sometimes I get the feeling that you and infromda are the same sock.
You being mister player who give his creditcard to a woman, and expect her not to spend more than agreed:eek:
Infromda being a carrying:beard: gangstra, who doesn't want to pay for the salon.

Any way to the op:
If you don't act like a player and don't go out alone at night, your Dominican family will keep you save. They know the city and the reliable moto's.
Just be a little extra alert at night and in some neighbourhoods.
Like being at home with six kids drinking hot tea. Nothing bad will happen, you'll just be a little nerves the first time. After that you'll know, and feel a lot more tranquillo.

About the barrios:
A lot of people here are talking like those neighbourhoods are dangerous. I can tell you this:
THEY ARE!!!
Don't go in alone if you don't know anyone there. If you do go in with someone who lives there, and act normal, and feel tranquillo about saying NO a lot of times, you'll be VERY fine.:cool: