Drilling a small water well at a Campo near Santiago(?)

mimi49

Jan 7, 2009
Dear All,
Wondering if anyone has any experience drilling a well out in the countryside? I am looking for a well for a (very) small farm and for cooking & and an outdoor shower. The roads are not good so huge equipment would not make it, a regular truck or 4 wheel drive is okay though. Any information would be helpful!
Thanks,
mimi49

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Depending on the part of the country collecting rainwater could be enough. There are internet sources on doing this but basically sloping ground is covered in plastic sheeting and fed into water storage container, 200 gallons plus. If required a 12 volt on demand pump can raise the water to taps, shower etc.
pi2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It depends on where you are located, and how deep they have to drill. At our house they hit water at about 70 feet, on our land in Ocoa it's about 250 feet. Our cost was based on depth of the well.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Depending on the part of the country collecting rainwater could be enough. There are internet sources on doing this but basically sloping ground is covered in plastic sheeting and fed into water storage container, 200 gallons plus. If required a 12 volt on demand pump can raise the water to taps, shower etc.
pi2

What the phoque!!!!! Start your own thread. The OP asked about ''Drilling a well' punto. What the phoque is she going to do with a 200 gallons tinaco when it doesn't rain. OPEN your own thread if you want to talk about alternatives, try to find GOOD alternatives though.

Last edited:

mimi49

Jan 7, 2009
I actually thought of doing something similar... I have a tinaco - but the main reason for the well would be to water the plants/trees in the dry season, I thought it wouldn't be enough during that time (?) I was thinking of putting it on a wooden tower though, then no reason for power.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
tHERE ARE well drilling companies that can get to just about anywhere. However, you de need permits from Indrhi..But the company should take care of them..

And You should be on the property when they are drilling. The water also needs to be tested for bacteria...

Good luck...good idea, hope it works.

HB

mimi49

Jan 7, 2009
Dear Alter Ego,
How big was the equipment they used, the farm is located on one of those really rocky, narrow country roads, the only well digger I have ever seen was huge and wouldn't make it! And don't answer this question if you don't want to but.... was cost of the 250ft well closer to 70,000 or 350,000?
Many Thanks,
mimi49

mimi49

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks Hillbilly! I am going to go out there will the idea that someone can get out there - I will double check on the permits and contaminated water is definitely on my mind lately..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dear Alter Ego,
How big was the equipment they used, the farm is located on one of those really rocky, narrow country roads, the only well digger I have ever seen was huge and wouldn't make it! And don't answer this question if you don't want to but.... was cost of the 250ft well closer to 70,000 or 350,000?
Many Thanks,
mimi49

Our last quote was 250 pesos per foot, and because it was deep he said he'd do it for 200 - but that was a year or so ago.

I think you'll find they'll get the equipment there - you wouldn't BELIEVE the narrow, bumpy, uphill driveway/road, with sheer drop-offs and no railings, that they went up to drill my brother-in-law's well. I have heart palpitations in a 4WD truck.

mimi49

Jan 7, 2009
I never believe we get there... I usually try to convince all that we should walk.. lol. If I can find that price it will be worth getting it done, less trips on that road back & forth! Many Thanks!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here is the contact info for a well drilling co. Post the number they want for the drilling here and I check to make sure it is a good price.

Pozos Tubulares, S A Potsa
Av E Sadhal? 200, Santiago
(809) 581-4111

I would also consider capturing the roof water as well, in spite of what other locos may say. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think that price is about right.. from AE

As for the 'back and forths', they usually set up the truck and leave it in place until they are finished.

Remember, they can drill to China - if there's no water, there's no water.
There is an element of uncertainty to the project.

Collecting water may not be a bad idea.....PiPi may be right (just shoot me now!)

Truly, that may be your best alternative.

I blew a lot of money on "no well".. over 200 feet.... I rent from the neighbor now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My diviner called water.... he was right, 25' feet of water by my measurement

BUT

It was just an overflow canal.... excess rainwater, not a true well.
Water only after a rainstorm.... in huge quantity.

And that runoff water isn't clean either........ fine for plants, but you might not like showering in it.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
My diviner called water.... he was right, 25' feet of water by my measurement

BUT

It was just an overflow canal.... excess rainwater, not a true well.
Water only after a rainstorm.... in huge quantity.

And that runoff water isn't clean either........ fine for plants, but you might not like showering in it.

Is GPR available in the DR?

pi2

mimi49

Jan 7, 2009
Wow, I have this feeling that if I asked around I would find people who would do this, or try at least. That's the problem though, lots of people would say they could do it and then... later it becomes apparent that they can't and then we both feel bad! I did find someone great to build a rancho, that was fun to see!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
My grandfather was a water witch and I remember watching him find water for the neighbors and others when I was a youngster. Many times the drilling companies wanted to sink exploratory holes so we and many others would bargain for them to dig a well as part of the price for the holes. Many people would have my grandfather over when the oil/gas companies were out on their land. You should ask the drilling companies - they might be able to recommend a good water witch.