kwaltersx3

Apr 22, 2012
Hi all....I have been scouring this forum trying to take in as much info as I can as to not ask repeated questions. I am a single mom, Massage Therapist and Reiki II practitioner. I am looking to move to the DR in the next 6 months. I am coming for a visit in June in hopes of scouting out some area's of interest as well as looking for work and apartments.
My question's for today are....how difficult will it be for me to find work doing massage...I know that the pay will not be anything near the US. Question 2 is what will be my best means of transportation to travel around while I am visiting...during my visit I plan on staying at different hostels.
Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
Kim

dominicangirl29

Apr 26, 2009
Welcome to the DR1, I am afraid I cannot give you information to get a job or a place to stay, but I am sure that someone will give you some good insight. Take things with a grain of salt here, as it seems people here like to give the worst scenarios.

Good luck to you...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Welcome to the DR1, I am afraid I cannot give you information to get a job or a place to stay, but I am sure that someone will give you some good insight. Take things with a grain of salt here, as it seems people here like to give the worst scenarios.

Good luck to you...

Yes, not an expert on massage. If you plan to travel to and stay in places such as Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, Caberette etc. it may be possible to travel by coach at low cost between resorts with a bicycle purchased at the outset in Santo Domingo. This would save on motor - conchos that are 25 pesos or so when in the resort areas. Short term expect $20-25$ per night for basic places to stay - but when established 6000 or so pesos ( 150$ ) per month is the start for places to rent with cooking etc. Expect 3-4$ a day for food to cook yourself depending on tastes.

pi2

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Yes, not an expert on massage. If you plan to travel to and stay in places such as Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, Caberette etc. it may be possible to travel by coach at low cost between resorts with a bicycle purchased at the outset in Santo Domingo. This would save on motor - conchos that are 25 pesos or so when in the resort areas. Short term expect $20-25$ per night for basic places to stay - but when established 6000 or so pesos ( 150$ ) per month is the start for places to rent with cooking etc. Expect 3-4$ a day for food to cook yourself depending on tastes.

pi2

OY VEY....................:cool:

B in Santiago

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
OY VEY....................:cool:

B in Santiago

Caribetours etc. will transport cycles in the storage areas of their coaches.

Maybe a second line as well - maybe fitness lessons etc. in demand from AI resorts..

pi2

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Question 2 is what will be my best means of transportation to travel around while I am visiting...during my visit I plan on staying at different hostels.
Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
Kim

Transportation between towns is affordable by local bus. I use motoconchos and carro publicos if needed (only during the day time) in any given area. If you are in a town and you feel comfortable with the concho driver get his number and he'll come get you. (Yes, I'd also get a cheap local phone.)

Some people aren't comfortable with that, I've never had a problem. As with everything in the DR, the more Spanish you know the more you'll be able to negotiate. If I'm in an area I'm not familiar with, I'll ask another passenger on the street what the cost should be, so I'm prepared when dealing with a driver/concho.

On the biking thing, it's truly a challenge. No sidewalks, crazy traffic that doesn't see you, where are you going to buy a decent one anyway? Once you have found the place you want to live, you may want to consider it. As a once avid biker who did have one while in the DR, I find it irresponsible to suggest it as a safe, practical method of travel for a newbie whose purpose is to scope out a place to live. You'd be better off an a horse in most places.

Motoconchos and carropublicos can get you anywhere. If you need more comfort taxis will too, but of course that'll cost you more.

Not sure if you meant hostels. If you did, do your research ahead of time as these aren't as common as in Europe or possibly other places you may have travelled.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Caribetours etc. will transport cycles in the storage areas of their coaches.

Maybe a second line as well - maybe fitness lessons etc. in demand from AI resorts..

pi2

Don't want to hijack the thread, but can you tell me what kind of bike you have and where you ride?

kwaltersx3

Apr 22, 2012
Wow thank you all for the great advice. I did mean Hostels...I do see a few but wasn't sure if any body new of any them selves. Also what towns might one suggest that would be a good place for kids 14 & 10 and near some hotels that I might be able to find work at. In the long run I am in hopes of doing in house massage once I develop connections.
Thank you again for your guidance.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not familiar with any of the hostels, but there are some cheap (non A.I.) hotels available.

I admire your spirit and sense of adventure... but moving to a new country with two children is no laughing matter, nor a decision to be made on a whim. finding work in D.R. is difficult for Dominicans, let alone for expats. Finding work that pays a living wage is even harder. Take into account that there are swarms of Haitian women working as masseuses on every beach and in every hotel... I don't know how you'll get enough work to survive. OK.. that's fine for you, but with two kids in tow???

I don't want to sound pessimistic... but I am a realist. I wish you all the best of luck.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK... lots and lots of research and talk (directly) to as many people as you can.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RETURN TICKET IN YOUR POCKET.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I got massages in Santiago every week and I paid 400rd (about $10) for an hour. I never had a problem getting an appointment and I never actually saw another customer there when I was there (did I mention I went every week?)

Even if you had 1 customer per day (probably not going to happen), considering if you were to work every day, that is $300/month.
Can you live off of that??

Some people can...............I'm just askin'

SHALENA