Rottweiler in La Mulata

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
A beautiful rottweiler was found shot through the ear in La Mulata behind New Life church today. He was outside his owners' property, but the owners have not appeared. I am told he is normally inside the property but he was outside, everything was locked up and no one was answering. This dog is now at Dr Bob's. He has lost a lot of blood and may or may not survive. He realized we were trying to help him and actually tried to get himself into the vehicle but he was too weak without help.
If you know how to contact the owners or are the owners, please contact Dr Bob in the morning. Thank you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Most likely, he escaped and wanted back in.

Clearly, he likes the car

Keep trying the house... somebody will appear soon -------- espero

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Rottweiler shot in la Mulata

Isobel,
Any update on this?
I may know the owner.
Thanks,
Mack.

No one appeared at the house last night, I am told. I will try to speak to the German neighbours today, but my German is limited and they don't speak English or Spanish. I am concerned that there may have been ladrones who have left the owners of the dog tied up or dead inside and that they let the dog out and shot him. We sent the police to look but they obviously have no authority to go in uninvited. If the owners are away someone should have come to feed the dog, but there was no sign of anyone.

I will check this morning to see if the dog survived the night. His blood was all over the driveway and he was in a bad way. It looked as though the intention had been to kill the dog and whoever it was may have succeeded.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Rottiies are strong dogs so as long as he was still with you and you managed to stop the bleeding then he should pull through. Dogs ears are a nightmare to stop bleeding as they are inevitably moving their head and scratching at it wondering what the problem is. You can't easily bandage them as they just rip them off and so lots of talc or flour is the best thing.

It would be difficult to hit the dogs ear with a bullet without hitting another part of the dog unless you were aiming directly at the dog front on and missed its head, rotties don't have big floppy ears that might be hit while bounding about. Are you sure it was shot? Just as I can see it the person would literally have to be face to face to miss any other part of the body while hitting the ear.

I really wish we had rights to lynch these bastards who do this kind of thing, I would happily string someone up and slowly beat them to death for such cruel acts

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Isobel,
If you think you know the owner, please check it out.
I am not in Sosua right now and am unable to make contact. Where is the villa located?
When you say behind the New Life church, is it off the Lamulata road or is it off the road that runs parallel to the Lamulata road?
In other words at the New Life church turn left, go by the church then take the first right.
The villa there is the people I know. They are both German but speak English quite well.
Mack.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
As far as I understand, the owner of the property is Wolfgang, the boss of Tejatech, but he hasn't lived there for the last month or so. He told people this morning that he would check to see if his dog was missing. There is, however, no dog on the property now. I am told the wife/girlfriend was still living there and always with the dog. She has not been seen for the last day or so either. One source told me Wolfgang's dog is very aggressive. Another told me the opposite. This dog, whoever he belongs to, was badly in shock, so even if he was usually aggressive, it may have transformed his behaviour. He was totally submissive with us and has let Dr Bob treat him without anaesthesia, because he is too weak to be anaesthetized. I have considerable experience of how animals close to death know whom they can trust to help. The same with dogs and horses. This dog knows, but he may be very aggressive under normal circumstances.
This dog's ear had been half blown off and has a circular wound about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. There was a huge pool of blood [now washed away by the rain!] on the driveway. He has another smaller deeper wound immediately behind the ear which would imply that is where the bullet entered into his neck. Probably his ear flap saved his life and slowed down the bullet sufficiently to stop it killing him, though it would appear that the intention was to kill him.
If this is not Wolfgang's dog, who does he belong to? Why would he be lying on Wolfgang's drive? Someone must have missed him. He has a stiff back leg, apparently from a previous broken leg. He is still alive and for the moment wanting to live. He responds well to affection and is a wonderful patient, but rotties don't have a good reputation for fighting to live when injured, so he needs his owner, if his owner is still alive, to give him some attention. He responds well to me,but I am not his owner, only someone who cares.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Isobel, I don't know if it's the same dog, but last week there was a Rottie wandering our neighborhood. I didn't think anything of it because so many of my very close neighbors have more than 1 Rottie a piece and I just assumed that one of theirs was our wandering....

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is possible it is from another area and just been taken away to be killed and managed to run off. People don't tend to kill their dogs in their own neighbourhood because of the smell once dead. Keep up the good work for now, if he responds well to you then try and spend some time with him, comfort him until he gets over his shock. There is every chance he is deaf in his ear now so maybe be responding weird because he is disorientated and can't understand why he's off balance.
I wish him and you luck in finding the owner, or maybe it is best you don't if they can't look after him. Maybe try and find him a new home where he can be looked after better.

eirian

Apr 25, 2012
Givadogahome, totally agree with what you wrote in red...
Hope the dog makes it - Dr. Bob is a great vet.
In moments like this I can't stop myself reflecting about karma...

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Who knows? I cannot understand why anyone would want to kill this dog even out of area, but many people do take on animals they don't know how to train or manage and then when they get into difficulties think the only solution is to kill them rather than find someone to teach them how to handle them.

Dr Bob is willing to keep him for the next couple of days, but after that.... he needs a convalescent home till we can find him a new home and once he is up to it, he will presumably need surgery to remove the bullet. I have brought back many animals from near death and there aren't many animals that don't thrive in my care or respond positively to me, but I can't take him because I already have two dominant males [a doberman / GS cross and a Dominican viralata, both castrated] that hate each other and adore me, so you can imagine the problems that would cause if I brought in another that needed a lot of attention! Is there anyone out there who will take him till we find him a new home?

We also need help with the medical costs. I am a major casualty of the Anoeca situation, so can't fund his care, and it is unreasonable to expect Dr Bob to do it all for nothing. Even if you can deliver something to help to Dr Bob, that would be helpful.

I am well aware that the fellow may be deaf as a result of all this and he is undoubtedly very confused. He loves to be stroked and I am visiting him and spending time with him, but he needs more than I can give at the moment. I will do what I can, but some help would be appreciated - and for those of you who believe in karma or 'as you sow so shall ye reap', remember the importance of being of service. He needs lots of loving energy. I've called him Buck.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
So is this Wolfgangs dog or not im confused I really dont like to see animals abused I have 6 dogs and all are healthy and well fed and live better than me sometimes but they are family and would hate to see anything bad happen to them !! Whos dog is it our are the owners not claiming the dog due to vet bills if so shame on them!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have seen one in the area running free a few times recently, it had a blue collar so presumed it belonged to someone, but maybe not

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
We still don't know for sure whose dog this is. Wolfgang has not claimed him but he was in a pool of blood on his drive. Presumably someone did not want him alive, so if it was his owner, he is not likely to come forward now. Very sad.
The dog is still alive but still so weak from loss of blood that nothing surgical can be done because anaesthesia would kill him.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
This dog had a heavy rope type collar. I think it was yellow and grey but it was covered in blood. He is very obliging to handle.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I don't care who owns this dog... Just paypalled you some money, Isobel, for his vet care. Poor beautiful boy...

Ella

sicknote

Jun 9, 2009
well done isabell

A big well done to isabell for all you are doing, after reading all the posts we have been to see the dog unfortunately we have big dogs so cant have him, it was very distressing to se any animal like this, i just hope he doesent give up his fight as hes been through so much all ready and deserves another chance