Legal Resident, advantages, and costs.

Webbum

Sep 16, 2011
I received this information from a lawyer in the DR. Comments?

Becoming a legal resident in D. R has a few advantages:
1. You will have dominican I. D. allowing you to make any business
2. You can get a dominican driver licence. Foreign d. l. are only good for 2 months
3. You will be able to legally work and apply for any job or position
4. You are entitled to save 50% on taxes for your first property investment
5. You can move in your households from Canada to D. R. duty free, including a vehicle
6 You get exempted from payin overstaying penalties
Residence cost is US$2,000. this is a provisional one and it i good for on year after issuing. Then you can apply for the definitive one.
the main documents required are an original of your birth certificate and a a certificate of good behavior both with apostille (a seal granted by the canadin authorities or the dominican consulates, certifying this documents are legally issued)
The process takes 6 to 8 months

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pretty accurate....the car costs but not as much

Don't ask about the car - search = plenty of info.

Better question

Why do YOU want one ??

Webbum

Sep 16, 2011
Pretty accurate....the car costs but not as much

Don't ask about the car - search = plenty of info.

Better question

Why do YOU want one ??

First thoughts would be for opening up a business or businesses. and....for sure I want to drive and not have to worry about anything like an accident/ticket, legal problems.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Then Def.......... its the only way to go.... Residency/Cedula/Drivers.

DONE

one year temporary res, converts to permanent..... cedula carries thru from day 1.

DL -- go to a driver's school and get the VIP.... same game, temp for 45 days up to 1 yr, them convert to permanent

Easy as pie..... carry a pocket full of 100 and 500 peso notes at all times

Use judiciously

The cake will bake.........:bandit:

Oh... forgot.........LAWYER UP..... easier that way.

As they say..."Don't try this at home"..... use a lawyer

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pesos make sure everything goes smoothly..... keeps your palce in line (gets you the front)
SKips many processes , gets you out of school early

Myriad of uses

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And don't hand in your original birth certificate, you won't get it back. Take it to the Canadian Embassy and request a certified copy.

Another advantage, you don't have to go anywhere with your passport. I take it out only when I travel outside the country.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
" 5. You can move in your households from Canada to D. R. duty free, including a vehicle"

I have a question : what does households exactly mean and contain?
Particularly, I am intending to move definitively to DR in a few months. I'll bring households, like housing stuff in a container. But, and here 's my question, I have quite a lot of video professional equipment: 6 broadcast camcorders, steadycam, 2 broadcast video switchers, computers... Will that equipment be exempted of duties while moving to DR among the households?

Question 2: about the vehicule, it must be less than 5 years old, right?
:)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
" 5. You can move in your households from Canada to D. R. duty free, including a vehicle"

I have a question : what does households exactly mean and contain?
Particularly, I am intending to move definitively to DR in a few months. I'll bring households, like housing stuff in a container. But, and here 's my question, I have quite a lot of video professional equipment: 6 broadcast camcorders, steadycam, 2 broadcast video switchers, computers... Will that equipment be exempted of duties while moving to DR among the households?

Question 2: about the vehicule, it must be less than 5 years old, right?
:)

Video stuff = no problema

Car must be less than 5yrs old ( calendar year) and must have been owned by you for 1 yr prior to hitting the dock here.

Plus, it must have no debt on it to exit Canda/USA

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I believe the law changed the beginning of this year and you must get temporary residency for 4 years (i.e. apply 4 separate times) before you can apply for permanent residency. I tried running a search to find the info, but couldn't locate it. Can anyone confirm this for the poster?

Also, when you bring in your container not all items are necessarily duty free - customs can decide some things are "luxury items" and charge you duty anyway. Also country of origin was an issue with some items as well and certain things were not excluded from duty(sorry I can not recall what they were), although the total duty cost wasn't huge (few hundred USD).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I was in the Santo Domingo office of "Guznan Ariza" last month on a different matter.
I asked the cost o residency and citizenship.
$1,600 US and $4,500 US respectively.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jan 17, 2009
I believe the law changed the beginning of this year and you must get temporary residency for 4 years (i.e. apply 4 separate times) before you can apply for permanent residency. I tried running a search to find the info, but couldn't locate it. Can anyone confirm this for the poster?

Also, when you bring in your container not all items are necessarily duty free - customs can decide some things are "luxury items" and charge you duty anyway. Also country of origin was an issue with some items as well and certain things were not excluded from duty(sorry I can not recall what they were), although the total duty cost wasn't huge (few hundred USD).

Yes. The immigration law changed--but hasn't been made effective yet. The new law, like you say, requires five years of temporary residence before applying for a permanent residence. I have to renew my first temporary and this was confirmed with my lawyer. It looks like if I apply now I can still get a permanent--she doesn't know when immigration will start ap
Lying the new requirements.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
@ william : Video stuff = no problema
Hi william, what makes you so affirmative. I'm asking because I got opposite opinion... :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never considered legal residency an advantage as such. i just wanted to have that because while i may not exactly respect the letter or the spirit of the law i always want to make my life easier. and it is easier to navigate dominican bureaucracy with residencia and cedula in hand.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ william : Video stuff = no problema
Hi william, what makes you so affirmative. I'm asking because I got opposite opinion... :)

I have never heard of anybody being charged extra on their 'residency container'

Mine (4 yrs ago) was full of what could be called luxury items here.

If you're worried, ship that separately by mudanza (Awilda in Corona NY) and you will have no problems whatsoever.