Construction cost for buildings

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Anyone familiar with the cost per square meter for concrete buildings with standard finishing ?

Thanks

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Omg, thank you for asking this..., I have found my piece of land... How do I know if my "3 quotes" are seriously in the ballpark?? I don't know who is gringa'ing me and who is not!!!

TIA for any ballparks on price /sq ft or sq mt.

Ella

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Although I am unsure of the purpose for your concrete buildings, I am going to rashly assume they are for living. If they are for warehousing then skip this as it won't help much.

I've been here for about 10 years and have bought and sold a lot of stuff. So this information is based on my experiences and should not be considered a "fact" or "debatable" because it is what it is (or was, as the case may be).

Standard Finishing: $85/square foot
Superior Finishing: $105/square foot
Luxury Finishing: $160/square foot
"You Have Got To Be Kidding Me" Finishing: $250/square foot++

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Very good construction and finish(mahogany cabinets, aluminum windows, tile roofs) can be done for US50-60 a foot squared. I should know I just built one for someone for US40 something. This includes the plans and permitting. Others have done it too. It's nearly impossible to find a builder in the tourist areas to do it for this though.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Thanks guys, this is very good information.

I'm planning to build a small building, 4 to 6 apartments, it's a family project, here in downtown Santo Domingo. I'd like to do something a little better than usual, higher ceilings, good natural ventilation, quality management for electricity and water, may be some solar panels, etc...

Does someone is familiar with steel structures for apartments ?

Cheers

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
good natural ventilation in downtown santo domingo.... Be careful with natural in a city with a lot of pollution.

Steel structures: keep it simple, use concrete. Everybody is used here to work with that. Do not try to invent something here.

Use solar panels and for hot water as well. Perfect.

Thanks guys, this is very good information.

I'm planning to build a small building, 4 to 6 apartments, it's a family project, here in downtown Santo Domingo. I'd like to do something a little better than usual, higher ceilings, good natural ventilation, quality management for electricity and water, may be some solar panels, etc...

Does someone is familiar with steel structures for apartments ?

Cheers

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have been looking into it for a while now, as we are planning to build here as well.

A good maestro with references, will charge you around 750$ sqm for quality finishing, on the North Coast. This did not include the plans and permits, which, by a highly reputable architect would cost me around 2,000$. This 2,000$ was for a house of around 150sqm, and included all the plans for the building, water, septics, electricity, etc...

This was the price using higher end, but local, materials for flooring, etc... I personally would like to import my faucets, toilets, locks, etc... which will drive the price up.

BelgianK

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
you will have to double those costs very quickly since the Haitians in the Dominican Republic will no longer be working for less than 1200 pesos a day for construction...

we have already enough construction on the island

buy something that is already built

we have lots and lots that is standing empty

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been looking into it for a while now, as we are planning to build here as well.

A good maestro with references, will charge you around 750$ sqm for quality finishing, on the North Coast. This did not include the plans and permits, which, by a highly reputable architect would cost me around 2,000$. This 2,000$ was for a house of around 150sqm, and included all the plans for the building, water, septics, electricity, etc...

This was the price using higher end, but local, materials for flooring, etc... I personally would like to import my faucets, toilets, locks, etc... which will drive the price up.
BelgianK

Peter, I bought those things here - 4 yrs ago.
The toilets are the best that I have anywhere - definitley!
The door hardware, locks , etc are excellent quality.

The faucets are weak.... better buying off-island.

Sto Domingo has the really good stuff.

Did I mention my toilets ?? Perfect height, flush and the lid closes slowly and silently .. no slamming.

Of course some of you guys never bother closing them :eek:gre:

My household of women made sure i was trained....:surprised

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
This did not include the plans and permits, which, by a highly reputable architect would cost me around 2,000$. This 2,000$ was for a house of around 150sqm, and included all the plans for the building, water, septics, electricity, etc...
BelgianK

Sounds like a bargain (?)

Barnab?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
you will have to double those costs very quickly since the Haitians in the Dominican Republic will no longer be working for less than 1200 pesos a day for construction...

...and where the owner asks too much money for. Small calculation says then that you better buy a plot and build new. Been there, done that...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Actually having something else getting built starting in June. Dominican builder that only uses Dominican workers, not that he has anything against Haitians but he's a young guy that has hired relatives and school buddies. He has 12 years of building construction in Spain and is a former student of Yris's, as are his wife and daughter. We have seen his work and know his reputation. If all you want is a warehouse built you can get it done for around 12,000 pesos per sq metre, if you are getting a house made 18,000 - 30,000 pesos per sq metre is a reasonable range. Of course, if you want to go fancy the skys the limit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My local builder says $65-70 a ft is possible... that will be a typical RD house - walls, roof, etc.

Not all foreigners are willing to go that route.... the number then pushes to $80-110, depending.

Expats have more bathrooms for starters.
Often, they like a tile roof, vs corrugated

These are costly additions that add up fast.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

PLEASE MA, most resident engineers don't make RD1200 a day,. good grief.

Most Haitians are making around RD300 a day average and that won't be changing anytime soon, especially since that buffon Martelly is busy robbing the coffers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Annie, where are Haitians being paid 1200 pesos a day?

Certainly not near us, I know many Dominicans who would gleefully work in construction for less than half of that. And I'm talking about experienced guys.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My local builder says $65-70 a ft is possible... that will be a typical RD house - walls, roof, etc.

Not all foreigners are willing to go that route.... the number then pushes to $80-110, depending.

Expats have more bathrooms for starters.
Often, they like a tile roof, vs corrugated

These are costly additions that add up fast.

Willie, Willie, Willie, US65 a foot can get you first class construction with mahogany cabinetry, ceramic if not porcelain floors, pored concrete roof with Spanish tiles and intricate metalwork, aluminum windows and screens.

How does a gringo get a price like this? They have to leave the tourist areas. I do this for a living and I know what the labor costs are, etc. Everything in the coastal areas is marked up a great deal because they can.

BTW, the typical Dominican construction of a block walls, concrete floor and corrugated metal roof goes for US26 a foot.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
...and where the owner asks too much money for. Small calculation says then that you better buy a plot and build new. Been there, done that...

I think you mean a "lot"...................
When you build on a plot.............it's normally 6 foot UNDERGROUND.........lol:bunny:

B in Santiago

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
We have kind of a consensus on basic construction price. My architect also told me something similar, about 30K pesos by square meter. I know concrete structure is simple and well known here, but I really like the advantages of a steel structure.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have kind of a consensus on basic construction price. My architect also told me something similar, about 30K pesos by square meter. I know concrete structure is simple and well known here, but I really like the advantages of a steel structure.

It can be done for less btw.

Also, if you are paying more than RD450 per square meter of complete architectural plans you are paying too much. I've talked to at least 3 DR1'ers that were quoted or paying RD1500 per square meter - ridiculous to say the least.