Moving to DR to work as a teacher??

Apr 29, 2012
Hello everyone! I am spanish, working in England as a teacher for over 10 years now. I work with children with special needs, specially autistic and challenging behaviours. My husband and I are thinking about coming there for a couple of years. Is it difficult or easy to find a good job in Education?? We don't mind to work either with special needs or not. We are coming with two little ones. How safe is life there for children? Do you know some british schools there? Lots of questions......Thank u in advance. Virginia

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The school at La Romana is British based education - Harry Mcgee used to be the head there not sure if he still is or not...

I recommend using the following link to look for jobs in many countries not just the DR. The public school jobs pay very little but many of the private schools pay well esp. when you consider the benefits that go along with the salary - housing, air ticket home each year, tuition for your children, ect.....

https://www.iss.edu/education-careers/teaching-overseas

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
The teaching jobs here pay very little. But if you have $$$$ backing you it is a great place to spend time and get experience.
Der Fish

To give you hard facts:

A friend was just offered 45,000 plus 5,000 for housing (which she hopes to negotiate to at least 10,000) at a school in Santo Domingo.

In my personal opinion, I would not consider this very little, but to each there own.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
To give you hard facts:

A friend was just offered 45,000 plus 5,000 for housing (which she hopes to negotiate to at least 10,000) at a school in Santo Domingo.

In my personal opinion, I would not consider this very little, but to each there own.

Is this USD for the year or DOP per month?

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
RD per month, sorry!

I only have had one experience in a classroom here with 5th graders because a Dominican friend was teaching a module on Canada (and I am clearly an expert!) ;) I was ready to die after 45 minutes. I'm very glad I work at home most of the time. I can barely handle adults, let alone children.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Some other hard facts - in our last year of teaching there my spouse's and my combined peso salary was over 1 million pesos per year and we still got another part of our salary is USD and all the other benefits mentioned earlier plus some others not mentioned. The DR can be a fine country for a certified teacher to come to work and raise a family. No you are not going to save as much as when you work in other parts of the world but the climate, people and culture are very enjoyable when you have a good job. :bunny:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You should also factor in the lack of any pension benefit. Some US schools still have a good pension.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
That will also depend on the school - when we were there in DR the schools didn't have retirement and had a rather limited savings potential - which is why most teachers come for a few years and then move on to better paying jobs elsewhere in the world.

World wide each private international school has their own pay and benefits package - a few allow you to pay into US social security, some have matching funds plans for their own retirement plans ect. Pension plans or lack thereof is one of the things that has to be weighed when considering where to go and teach.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only "British" school is Abraham Lincoln in La Romana, possibly also St George in Santo Domingo.

PCIS in Punta Cana is starting to use British textbooks and has a British principal (head teacher!).

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you again!..... And could someone tell me/know about how is the special education needs developed in DR?? I could work in primary schools but actually I am a teacher of special education needs, working with autistic kids and challenging behaviours for over 10 years now in Uk. Any chance to find a decent job in a special education school?? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think a lot of private schools here work with part timers or assesors for children with special needs. You might try to get 1 day per week in several schools.