Giveaways

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
From today's DR1 news

Deputies get RD$136 million for Mother's Day

According to news reports, Dominican legislators have all but abandoned their legislative work, but taxpayers will still be obliged to an extra RD$136 million for their discretional distribution on Mother's Day, which is celebrated in late May in the Dominican Republic. El Caribe reports that the Chamber of Deputies has only held 10 of its 26 regular sessions, or 39.5% of commitments for these highly paid government officials. El Caribe says the chamber is "more a platform for electoral commentary than a legislative body."

As reported in El Caribe on 27 April, the Chamber of Deputies will distribute 421 articles valued at RD$136,644,256 to its 183 members for subsequent distribution in their communities on Mother's Day, Sunday, 27 May. In addition, the deputies will receive RD$50,000-RD$100,000 in cash to organize the distribution.

The articles include TV sets, washing machines, stoves, blenders, toasters, fans, mattresses, tableware, dining sets, microwaves, DVDs, irons, ironing boards, glasses and kitchenware, bed sheets, plastic chairs, tables and refrigerators. The Chamber of Deputies issued a tender for the purchase of the items on 23-24 February and it was awarded to the following little known companies: Inversiones Nogal Verde, Almacenes Karaka, Universal de Computos, Multiservicios Hermes, Saicorp Dominicana, Importadora Barbera, Cinco C, Distribuidora Cruz Diaz, Madison Import and Inversiones Ceilan.

El Caribe ? Diputados reciben RD$136 MM para regalos para las madres

El Caribe ? Campa?a absorbe casi todo el tiempo de los legisladores

My question...
How does this work? Does the deputy just go into his district with a truck and hand things out? I have never seen these things being handing out.

It seems pure corruption to me.. but I wonder if any one else can shed some light on the practice?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't have a clue, but one of Mr. AE's cousins ended up with a new TV from a diputado, which he didn't need, so it ended up out at our house, still in the box. Cousin goes out there frequently, so it's installed in the bedroom he uses. Some crazy brand I never heard of, but good picture!