Well Done Election Sign

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been in the DR for a lot of elections, starting with Balaguer's return to power in the mid-1980s after defeating the PRD incumbent, Blanco. However, this is the first time that I have seen an election-related sign that I didn't consider visual pollution.

Well done, JCE.

If this is what the Sosua mayor was talking about when she banned indiscriminate posting of signs and said they must only be posted in designated places, well done, Mayor

bgpff7.jpg

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Love your interesting posts, Ken. I learn a lot. Saw the same sign driving the Ruta Turristica to Santiago a few days ago. The same thought went thru my head- well done.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Slowly but surely things are changing on this front. I was surprised as well when I was recently driving around the Malecon area and it was relatively clean of political propaganda. The electrical posts and the palm trees were clean and weren't painted any color. In the past these would be completely covered with all kinds of political cr@p and painted over and over of the different colors. Unfortunately this is not the case everywhere in the country, but every little bit helps.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i see on this poster is a typical dame cinco pesos extended hand. or maybe, in this case, pagame por mi cedula.
but then i have a politically rotten mind. ;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
all i see on this poster is a typical dame cinco pesos extended hand. or maybe, in this case, pagame por mi cedula.
but then i have a politically rotten mind. ;)

Hmmm...now that you mention it...It probably would have been better if they showed a person actually acting like they were VOTING. Either way it's better than the alternative of just plastering every inch with "afiches" and painting every little inch with the ugly colors of the political parties. I remember they used to even paint the roads...and yes I mean the actual road not just the side walks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It would be better if it were not in purple. Looks like the old Uncle Sam Wants You! posters.

But yes, it is good to see the push. Gee wonder who got paid for those signs. Did you know that Felix Bautista owns the largest sign company in the DR???? DUHHHHHhhhh...

Nasty HB nasty nasty nasty...(Me and dv8 think alike_)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hmmm...now that you mention it...It probably would have been better if they showed a person actually acting like they were VOTING. Either way it's better than the alternative of just plastering every inch with "afiches" and painting every little inch with the ugly colors of the political parties. I remember they used to even paint the roads...and yes I mean the actual road not just the side walks.

I'm sure a lot, maybe the majority, now on dr1 weren't here for past elections when everything was painted--not just once, but many times for the same election. There would be a political rally in a town and in preparation, telephone poles, walls, everything was painted the color of the party holding the rally. A few days, maybe a week later, another party would hold a rally and everything painted by the previous group was painted the color of the party holding the new rally.

I remember in Samana there was a beautiful mural of a sea scene painted on a wall along the malecon. Even that was not spared.

Personally, I don't care who got paid for the signs. The important thing is there seems to be far less defacement than in the past.

In Sosua, it is hard to believe that we are less than 3 weeks from an election, after several rallies held here by different parties, there is still no defacement of anything on the main streets that I have seen.

Those responsible for the change are to be commended.