Thinking of buying or building a 2 level house/Villa in the Santiago area

Santiago_DR

May 2, 2012
Hi all.

I'm new to posting on the forum, but have been reading up some interresting threads/temas.
It's a great community, and with lots of nice/important information.

I hope that someone can help me in getting a rough estimate of buying or building costs, mainly in the Santiago area. I have been looking at supercasas, but I am not sure if the prices presented are gringo prices, or prices ment for the average/wealty Dominican family.

I am thinking of building a 200 m2 concrete villa/house of 2 levels, on the outskirts of Santiago. I am thinking of creating/constructing the primary level for the family of my wife. This level does not need to have a high standard (no tiles on the floor, simple kitchen appliances,simple bathroom/showering area and washing area) but the construction must be on par with a earthquacke safe standard. I was thinking of the primary level consisting of about 120 m2, with 4 bedrooms, a kitchen, toilet and shower, a living room and an area to wash clothes. The possability for a parking area/carport would be nice.

The secound level I would like to have a normal good standard, but it does not need to be high luxury. I am thinking of 3 bedrooms, a decent bathroom, a kitchen, a living room and a balcony/Veranda (above the carport?) to lick some sun and relax. I am thinking of this level beeing 80 m2. I would like to have iron bars on the windows and the door/balcony and the entrance door on this level.

My wife and me are wisiting the DR each year with our kids, but we are getting tired of using one of the bedrooms every time we come for a visit. I am renting a house for the family at the moment, but I would really like to invest in a proper home for all of us. My wife is a dominicana, and a speak some spanish, but not fluently enough to see the whole building process through, on my own. My wifes uncle have been building houses all he's life, but he is not a maesto or engeneer, but he will be handy in managing/overseeing the progress, and possably the payouts to workers and managers. My sisters brothers would also lend a hand on the work process.

Do you think such a building (including the cost of the lot/land) could be built or bought for 85.000 - 90.000 dollars? What is the minimum cost I could construct or buy this house for (as described)? Is there some areas that you would avoid buying or building in (high crime/bad area) Santiago?

Does anyone know of a good maestro, engeneer and lawyer to hire for such a project? I have read Chip is dooing some construction work for other DR members, but I am not sure if he is open for hire, or are working in the Santiago area.

Since I can not bee present during the construction time, my wifes family will supervise the progress.

It's an option to buy a old run down house in Santiago, and flatten it to build a new home, but I am not sure it is worth it. I also would like to have a seperate level for my wife and the kids, to have som seperate space.

Thanks in advance.
BBJ

Last edited: