Highway Sabaneta / Moca

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Hi Folks

Just thought I would update the condition of the highway. Must be an election coming up, the highway pretty much has been repaired. The only bad place is from Sabanete to Palo Amarillo, that long straight stretch with a bunch of pot holes. The area by Jamoa next to the gallistico is all new pavement, and that real bad place by Arroyo Frio that has that little bridge has also been repaved.

On the Moca side all the bad areas on the corners are all good.

So if anyone wants to take a real nice drive, or a ride on their moto, the highway is in great condition (even for the DR).

Happy trails

Hammerdown

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for the info. Good to know that the route I take to Santiago is now in better condition as last time I went that way there were some very rough patches high up before La Cumbre.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We took that road when we drove from Santo Domingo to Sabaneta, and we were expecting it to be much worse than it was.

It was our first trip that way, and found the views lovely.

As an aside, last night we watched In the Time of the Butterflies on TV, and it led to a conversation about one sister still being alive. Google sent me to an article that said after the Mirabels were murdered they were placed back into their car and pushed off La Cumbre. I didn't know that before. :disappoin

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
AE,
I may be mistaken (once again), but I always thought the location of the Mirabal sister's death was on the carretera turistica... running from near puerto plata to santiago. not the sabaneta to moca road.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CFA, from what I read [which might be wrong!] it isn't where they were killed, it's where they dumped the car and bodies, trying unsuccessfully to make it look like an accident.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rode that road twice this week, and it's true! Massive upgrades!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The Mirabal sisters were killed near where Star Hills is now, there is a small monument there, between Playa Dorada and the Gran Parada.
They were taken from there to a remote road near La Cumbre, off the Calle Turistica as it's known now, and their car was pushed off the cliff there to fake an accident.
The sculptured faces of these brave women are there for viewing and, a very nice site by anyone interested in the tragic Trujillo years. It's not that easy to get to, but worth the visit.
There is a website I think called Panoramica Turistica or something similarly worded. about the area.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
No way on non-motocross motos getting to that monument, it is a very treacherous dirt road.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
This is the website pulga is talking about for the Carretera Turistica: http://www.rutapanoramica.com/versions/route-guide.pdf

The Mirabal sisters were killed near where Star Hills is now, there is a small monument there, between Playa Dorada and the Gran Parada.
They were taken from there to a remote road near La Cumbre, off the Calle Turistica as it's known now, and their car was pushed off the cliff there to fake an accident.
The sculptured faces of these brave women are there for viewing and, a very nice site by anyone interested in the tragic Trujillo years. It's not that easy to get to, but worth the visit.
There is a website I think called Panoramica Turistica or something similarly worded. about the area.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Exactly where is it? Alida doesn't know, but says it's a small, remote road...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
CB, coming from Santiago on the Turistica as you come to La Cumbre take the right at the police station. Memorial is on the right. The road will take you to the dump near Tamboril where it eventually turns back to pavement. Check google earth. I believe it may be marked there.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, coming from Santiago on the Turistica as you come to La Cumbre take the right at the police station. Memorial is on the right. The road will take you to the dump near Tamboril where it eventually turns back to pavement. Check google earth. I believe it may be marked there.
I'm confused.

Is it on the old Touristica highway, Santiago to between Sosua and Puerto Plata, or the road from Moca to Sabeneta we call the Jimao road?

james

Jan 14, 2002
CB, The old Turistica road at La Cumbre as described by Jumbo in Post #12

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ah, now it makes sense.....I thought it was the other La Cumbre on the Moca/Sabaneta road.

So today DR1 taught me some geography, and some techy stuff about dongles. :bunny:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Cumbre means 'summit', so for sure there is a cumbre on the Santiago to Gran Parada road.

aaaaahhhh! that would explain it then............ grrrrrrrrrrrrr re my poor Spanish! Thanks for the lesson and will remember that translation in future.