best up to date places to stay in pop area

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
Looking for a short vacation to Puerto Plata
I hear that cofresi is the place to go as I guess the resorts in that area are newer or recently remodeled... is there any thruth to that?

We are accustomed to the punta cana resorts which are definitely in better conditions than what I've been able to see in Puerto Plata

So I guess my question is: which are the newer and/or better resorts around Puerto Plata?

Regards.
JC

Jan 22, 2010
Iberostar Costa Dorada and Coral Marien Be Live will always be good...and open as most of other resorts are closing recently

T.E.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We stayed at Lifestyles in Cofresi and liked it. I've heard good things about some of the Riu properties there too. I think someone did a trip report on one of them.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Can't go wrong with any of the 3 RIU's. If you decide on Lifestyles get the upgrade to VIP, anything less will not be good. We love Iberostar Costa Dorada. Enjoy

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Having stayed at the Riu Mambo recently, I can say that I am disappointed to hear it is shut down. I came across a post somewhere from back in 2002 suggesting it would be shut down while the Merengue and Bachata would remain open. I am not sure if the Mambo is closed for the low season and will re-open or not. There were rumors that it would be closing when we were there, and staff said it was to become the "Merengue Village" come December.
Staying at one of the hotels allows you access to breakfast and lunch at all three, the liberty to wander from one end to the other, and the option of taking in events wherever they are happening.
Although the rooms we stayed in were not "modern", they were clean and comfortable. All staff (housekeeping, bartenders, groundskeepers, front desk) were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. I am not talking Sanky type behavior, just courteous and polite. Food was great as well.
I would recommend the Riu hotels. There are numerous reviews on tripadvisor which include pictures of the rooms. There are also some videos on youtube that show the rooms at the Merengue and Bachata. 90% of the reviews I found before going were positive. If anyone knows the true fate of the Mambo, please share.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
JC,

I've been to several AIs on the island over the years. The best place - BY FAR - is the Iberostar Costa Dorada.

Preston

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
There's more selection of hotels and things to do in Playa Dorada though. I've stayed at Gran Ventana, Barcelo and Victoria... (V is closed now) but Casa Colonial is an upscale boutique hotel if you want more individual catering... Blue Bay is nice too but it has retro decor..on the upside it's adults only.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Why do you think the hotels and resorts are closing? PP is dead. Other than the cable car there is nothing to do! Go to Sosua or Cabarete instead. Both are close by.

Norway

Apr 16, 2012
BlueBay Villas if you do not have kids. I have spent alot of time reading TripAdvisor, do not let people scare you, if BlueBay hasnt changed last few months, its a great hotel! Will be going back for the 5th(?) time soon. Get a room away from the show area, and you will have a great time there.

Also been at Grand Paradise and Iberostar, they are very different then BlueBay.

Grand Paradise is medium/typical family hotel, except for nice rooms. The rooms are very nice, BUT and it is a big but, many rooms have doors between them (family option to combine rooms), this leads to you can easily hear people/tv etc from the other room, which is not good. GP is also expensive compared to what you get.

Iberostar is better then Grand Paradise, but also huge, alot of walking, nice hotel grounds.

BlueBay is adults only, small hotell and very nice hotel grounds. Good service, very good food. Rooms could use a renovation, but they are ok.

I strongly suggest BlueBay for people without kids.

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
So,it looks like riu bachata might be the best one so far when it comes to family and amenities....
Does anyone knows how long it would take to get to La Romana from STI... google says about 3 hours but I don't think that includes road conditions and traffic

Thank you
JC