Sad Day For Las Terrenas

Jerbust

Oct 12, 2010
The Fishermans village in Las Terrenas was Burnt down in the early hours of this morning. So So sad. A big loss to the town. :cry:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not being very familiar with Las Terrenas, what is the extent of what burned?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not Small

.... what is the extent of what burned?

307vl0z.jpg

donP

Colin Geissler

Aug 22, 2011
It is terrible. Shocking. I came around the corner onto the beach road and saw all the people; then the smoke. Everything on the beach side (probably about a dozen restaurants, bars and a little shop) are gone. All that is left are the wood fire ovens and melted metal roofing. I hope no one was injured. It looks like one or two of the places on the west end were able to get some furniture out and down the beach.

I feel sad for the town, the business owners and the employees. I remember when we first came here and drove on that narrow road -- I wanted to go to everyone of those places to sit and enjoy the scenery and a meal. Those places were an icon of this community. A very sad day.

The road is shut off so everyone on las Ballenas beach is basically stuck (the town really needs to get those evacuation roads in place). They are allowing some traffic on the beach for quads and motorcycles. Some of the buildings across the road also were damaged but I couldn't tell by how much. I bet half the town was down there this morning and the streets are almost traffic free.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Oh my God! I hope there were no casualties! I love LT and the Fisherman's Village is a very integral part. Sad! But, having said that, I know the people of the DR well enough to feel assured that the village will be back, up and running, by the time the fishermen haul in their catch tomorrow morning.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Pueblo de Pescadores needs to be seen as Cultural Heritage of the Dominican people. This is the second fire. Remember the fire at the terrace restaurant of Balcones del Atlantico, on the Portillo side, during a New Year's party. This is an opportunity to build back in a harmonious way that is more resistant to fire. I would look to the example of Napier (New Zealand), that while a town, is an experience where the entire town got together to choose an architecture that turned it again into a gem. Vernacular or modern, it should be built back so that it is particular, not something that could be anywhere in the world, and also less vulnerable to fire.

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
We have a home in las terrenas, it is heartbreaking to see the damage done. We love this part of las terrenas. Hopefully no one was hurt.

jeffm

Dec 20, 2011
This is heartbreaking. The fisherman's village was the real charm of Las Terrenas. Just pray that everyone is alright and to give them the strength and resources to rebuild.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thank you, DonP, for taking the time to post these horrifying pictures-- My manager just called me here in Kentucky with the news and I'm heart-broken for the restaurant owners--- I'm worried that insurance may not be as common (or required?) as here in the states? Also-- I like Dolores' ideas on new fire-RESISTANT buildings--
Susan

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Cellphone video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wTIISUwHjQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Cool area. I hope that they rebuild it. The only down side of LT is too much cigar smoke from the Euro's.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-eas...inister-removing-las-terrenas-beach-bars.html

Last year, this thread ran on dr1 about a plan to remove the beach bars.

The task seems to have been done by the fire.

There are many questions as to what will replace them.

For the time being, the clean up of the area will be simple. The fire seems to have left aluzinc roof shingles and remnants of metal equipment, not much more.

The beach bars/restaurants were part of the charm of Las Terrenas.

The challenge then would be to retain the charm versus what was done in Samana city, where concrete erased the old time feel and Caribbean-style.

Will the beach area be left as beach?

Will the restaurants just relocate within the town?

Those and many more questions are sure to find answers soon.

Last edited:

siegs

May 9, 2006
By nature I am not a cynical person.
But this seems a stretch from accidental.
Sad...

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Is there any way we can help out the people there? I thought that was the coolest area ever when I saw it last fall and was looking forward to returning to it. I don't know how to but someone could get in touch with the people who owned the restaurants.