Spirit Airlines Raises Carry-on Bag Fee to $100 - Trying for more customers?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Spirit Airlines has announced a change in baggage fees, effective for travel on or after Nov. 6, 2012, which will more than double the fee for carry-on bags paid for at the airport gate from $45 to $100 per bag. To avoid the $100 gate check fee, Spirit passengers must ensure that their carry-on bag either fits under the seat in front of them or the carry-on fee for overhead storage use has been paid for in advance of going through airport security. In addition, with bag fees purchased online at time of booking, Spirit?s standard carry-on bag fee will increase from $30 to $35; first bag fee will change from $28 (domestic) / $38 (international) to $30 for both (dom./intl.); and, second bag fee will go from $35 (dom.) / $40 (intl.) to $40 for both (dom./intl.). Similar fee changes were announced for bag fees purchased at online check-in, airport check-in and Spirit?s telephone reservation service. Spirit also announced changes to bag fees for its $9 Fare Club members and group bookings. To find a list of all of Spirit?s baggage and other ancillary fee changes, go to Spirit?s website.

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
I happen to like spirit. If people want to fly a normal airliner and pay for it, than they can do that.

Spirit is a low-cost airline, no frills. If you play by the rules, you get super cheap flights. If you don't, you get your ass charged off. If you don't want to play by spirit's rules (which are pretty clearly posted, and travelers are generally well warned about these things before-hand), fly with another airline!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

If you don't want to play by spirit's rules (which are pretty clearly posted,
and travelers are generally well warned about these things before-hand), fly with another airline!

Problem is........
You could miss your flight reading all of them...............

B in Santiago

Last edited:

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
flying spirit

when you fly spirt airlines the only thing you could carry on is your clothes: that is what i do.. fly with my clothes on;

Spirit Airlines has announced a change in baggage fees, effective for travel on or after Nov. 6, 2012, which will more than double the fee for carry-on bags paid for at the airport gate from $45 to $100 per bag. To avoid the $100 gate check fee, Spirit passengers must ensure that their carry-on bag either fits under the seat in front of them or the carry-on fee for overhead storage use has been paid for in advance of going through airport security. In addition, with bag fees purchased online at time of booking, Spirit?s standard carry-on bag fee will increase from $30 to $35; first bag fee will change from $28 (domestic) / $38 (international) to $30 for both (dom./intl.); and, second bag fee will go from $35 (dom.) / $40 (intl.) to $40 for both (dom./intl.). Similar fee changes were announced for bag fees purchased at online check-in, airport check-in and Spirit?s telephone reservation service. Spirit also announced changes to bag fees for its $9 Fare Club members and group bookings. To find a list of all of Spirit?s baggage and other ancillary fee changes, go to Spirit?s website.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Don't the other airlines charge you for everything up front??? Open your eyes people!:eek:gre:

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
For example tues to tues 5/29 to 6/5 a cheap time to fly.......roundtrip from boston to sdq....spirit is 30 bucks less (with 2 stops!!!! Please!!!) than aa and jetblue before all the games...aa and jetblue allow first checked bag free...

Fll to sdq....same 30 bucks advantage to spirit before the charges kick in...or fly out of mia on aa...same deal.
i do not get the spirit savings anyway u slice it.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
when you fly spirt airlines the only thing you could carry on is your clothes: that is what i do.. fly with my clothes on;

but you have to take your shoes off in the airport security. (a personal pet peeve of mine!!!! and about the biggest dumb-ass load of crap the TSA has ever come up with. a knee jerk reaction to the guy who tried to ignite his "shoe bomb" tennis shoe)

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Yes,
But I expect the TSA will soon have all of us flying nude, or maybe with a hospital robe on and we get our clothes back when we get there!
Der Fish

Clothes are uncomfortable and restrictive so I'm on board with this one! :D

chalex

Apr 25, 2012
Yes,
But I expect the TSA will soon have all of us flying nude, or maybe with a hospital robe on and we get our clothes back when we get there!
Der Fish

No kidding. It's getting ridiculous. Considering another wacko from Yemen just tried to bomb a plane (OK, so he was an undercover) means it's not going to be getting any better...