Dominican Color/Racial Preference Findings

What do you think about the results?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I found an old article in the no longer circulating Rumbo political magazine. It deals with how much racism and anti-Haitian sentiment existed in Dominican society in 1995, based on the results of a Gallup study. It consisted of 1,200 Dominicans nationwide, all over 18 years old and was conducted between March 22 and April 1, 1995. Keep in mind that with the passage of time, pro-white color/racial preferences tends to wane in favor of either indifferent or non-white, both in Dominican Republic as in the rest of the world. Since this study was done in 1995, we can only guess how things must be today.

The questions asked and the results were as follows:

Would you favor a close relative marrying a white, indio/mulatto or black person?
• 56.7% Indifferent.
• 26.2% Indio/mulatto
• 11.8% White
• 2.8% Black
• 1.9% No opinion
• 0.6% Didn’t respond

Would you favor a close relative marrying a white, indio/mulatto or black person? (by social class)

Upper Class
• 67.7% Indifferent
• 13.8% Indio/mulatto
• 12.3% White
• 4.6% No opinion
• 1.5% Black
• 0.0% Didn’t respond

Middle Class
• 65.1% Indifferent
• 21.9% Indio/mulatto
• 11.2% White
• 1.2% No opinion
• 0.6% Didn’t respond
• 0.0% Black

Low Class
• 54.5% Indifferent
• 27.7% Indio/mulatto
• 11.9% White
• 3.4% Black
• 1.9% No opinion
• 0.6% Didn’t respond

Would you favor a close relative marrying a Haitian?

• 51.2% Against it
• 36.3% Indifferent
• 11.6% Favor it
• 0.9% Didn’t respond / No opinion

Would you favor a close relative marrying a Haitian? (by social class)

Upper Class
• 52.3% Indifferent
• 32.3% Against it
• 15.4% Favor it
• 0.0% Didn’t respond / No opinion

Middle Class
• 46.2% Indifferent
• 40.2% Against it
• 11.8% Favor it
• 1.8% Didn’t respond / No opinion

Low Class

• 54.3% Against it
• 33.5% Indifferent
• 11.3% Favor it
• 0.8% Didn’t respond / No opinion

Percentage that is indifferent about the color of whom a close relative would marry, by region:
• Santo Domingo 71%
• South 51%
• Cibao 48%

Percentage that is indifferent about the color of whom a close relative would marry, by social class:
• Upper Class 68%
• Lower Class 54%

Color/racial preference for the 41% that responded it mattered:
• 46% Indios/mulattos
• 12% White
• 3.0% Black

CONCLUSIONS:
1. Dominicans are more xenophobic than racist/colorist.
2. The Dominican beauty hierarchy favors first the indio/mulatto ideal, then the white ideal, then blacks.
3. Santo Domingo is the least racist/colorist region, the Cibao the most.
4. The upper classes are both, less racist/colorist and less anti-Haitian; the lower class is the most in both.
5. This seriously contradicts what the leftist sociologists have been claiming concerning racist/colorist attitudes supposedly being stronger in the upper classes than in the lower class, and anti-Haitian attitudes being stronger at the upper class than the lower class.

rumbo1.jpg

rumbo2.jpg

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Was this your 10 year old daughter's school assignment?
Some obvious questions that spring to mind after a cursory scan of you rbogus conclusions.

• Which leftist sociologists were these? I would have thought that as everywhere the less educated are the more racist. Who came up with that conclusion? You? lol
  • Any why the xenophobic vs racist comparison conclusion?
  • Did the question ask about white Haitians?
  • Did it ask about poor white Haitians? Oh wait a minute, they do not exist.

What a crock of shyte.

This is your worst attempt yet.

I hope your daughter's teachers are more forgiving than me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Was this your 10 year old daughter's school assignment?
Some obvious questions that spring to mind after a cursory scan of you rbogus conclusions.

• Which leftist sociologists were these? I would have thought that as everywhere the less educated are the more racist. Who came up with that conclusion? You? lol
  • Any why the xenophobic vs racist comparison conclusion?
  • Did the question ask about white Haitians?
  • Did it ask about poor white Haitians? Oh wait a minute, they do not exist.

What a crock of shyte.

This is your worst attempt yet.

I hope your daughter's teachers are more forgiving than me.

The percentage of white Haitians is too small to count. the conclusion is based on Dominican mindsets, not yours.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The conclusions are the problem, not the numbers.

I do not doubt the figures but I totally dispute the conclusions.

Who drew these conclusions?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
rumbo1.jpg

rumbo2.jpg

rumbo3.jpg

rumbo4.jpg

rumbo5.jpg

Pensamiento progresivo = Progressive Thought = Liberal/Left = Sociologists study human behavior, thus, left sociologist theories are seriously put in question by the findings, as it clearly state in the article piece above.

rumbo6.jpg

rumbo7.jpg

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And the Haitians just happen to be overwhelmingly black.
Coincidence?

Look, we have been over this numerous times.

White is largely considered good in the DR. Black is largely considered bad in the DR.
Everybody knows this.
TV and publicity on street hoardings overwhelmingly feature lighter skinned people.

I will concede that it is colourism rather than racism but it is there and it is strong.

Now NALS,

Who drew the conclusions?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Look, the whole reason for you getting out of bed and doing this today is to show that 2 plus 2 equals 5.
You were wrong before and you are wrong now.

And why are you not more alarmed that more than half of the population would not be happy for their family members to marry a Haitian?
That is the real story, the lack of education and the prevalence of medieval views in the D.R.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Coincidence?

White is largely considered good in the DR. Black is largely considered bad in the DR.
Everybody knows this.
TV and publicity on street hoardings overwhelmingly feature lighter skinned people.

I will concede that it is colourism rather than racism but it is there and it is strong.

Now NALS,

Dominican Sociologist Carlos Dore Cabral:

21108FD4-33F1-4FE5-A491-B850EDA19593.jpeg

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Good on him, and thanks for the straight answer.

but...

Look, the whole reason for you getting out of bed and doing this today is to show that 2 plus 2 equals 5.

And why are you not more alarmed that more than half of the population would not be happy for their family members to marry a Haitian?
That is the real story, the lack of education and the prevalence of medieval views in the D.R.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Coincidence?

Everybody knows this.

Now NALS,

every single time i get into a disagreement with a Dominican in cyberspace, as soon as he or she finds out that i am a black person, such discovery is reflexively followed by some gratuitous insult, based on color. why is that, NALS? i worked in a company on Wall Steet that rented a space in a parking lot on Maiden Lane, which was attended by a Dominican. he was as black as the ace of spades. i will never forget his glee when Leonel defeated Pena Gomez. he told me that Pena was too black to run a country. i kid you not.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good on him, and thanks for the straight answer.

but...

How many Haitians would be happy if their offspring married a white person or a Dominican?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
How many Haitians would be happy if their offspring married a white person or a Dominican?
That's a tough question to answer seriously.

However, I do wonder what Pe?a G?mez's biological Haitian parents would had thought of their daughter-in-law.

PeggyCabral10.jpg

Maybe the same as Papa Doc with his own daughter-in-law?

President+of+Haiti+with+his+wife

No, it can't be. That would only turn this into a discussion of hypocrisy and that's not what this is about; but it could explain the adamant overreaction. Add to that a latent anti-Dominican feeling and, perhaps, jealousy for all the bad things happening on one side of the island when the other continues to develop. Rivalry, jealousy, envy; I'm sure its all playing a role. :)

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Rivalry, jealousy, envy; I'm sure its all playing a role. :)

You would like to think that but in reality everyone who lives in the DR knows that lighter is preferable to darker for the majority.
You just cannot get away from it.
That is colourism.
Period.

Keep coming up with threads to show that this is not true if you like but nobody is drinking the Kool-aid.

I love the DR and I love Haiti in a bitter sweet way, so what?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You would like to think that but in reality everyone who lives in the DR knows that lighter is preferable to darker for the majority.
You just cannot get away from it.
That is colourism.
Period.

that goes without saying. whenever i hear a Dominican insulting another, i sometimes hear him referring to ?maldito negro. i have NEVER heard a Dominican say the words ?maldito blanco?

Keep coming up with threads to show that this is not true if you like but nobody is drinking the Kool-aid.

I love the DR and I love Haiti in a bitter sweet way, so what?

that goes without saying. whenever i hear a Dominican insulting another, i sometimes hear him referring to ?maldito negro. i have NEVER heard a Dominican say the words ?maldito blanco

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Interesting. Being mixed, Black, American Indian , with a smattering of white, but being dark brown, I have encountered only a little racism in the Dominican Republic. My wife is Dominican, of course, and when we met, there was some, but not a lot of resistance because in her family, there are white Dominicans and Black ones, and it's not that big of a deal, the biggest complaint she had was that she was told that all Black Americans were uneducated, poor and on welfare, and that she would have a hard life if she married me. Her father was dark and married into a very politically prominent White skinned Dominican family who basically disowned her mother when she married a dark skinned person, but the animosity over that seems to have waned over the decades and it's more acceptable.
The stereotypes abound, and there is some discrimination, and some raised eyebrows when I tell them my educational background ( Graduate Degree ) and my financial status ( middle class-middle middle ), but overall, once they know me as an individual, away from the stereotypes, it fades.

I think race is irrelevant these days, but that's me, but there are some that hold fast to old habits. C'est la vie.....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Interesting. Being mixed, Black, American Indian , with a smattering of white, but being dark brown, I have encountered only a little racism in the Dominican Republic. My wife is Dominican, of course, and when we met, there was some, but not a lot of resistance because in her family, there are white Dominicans and Black ones, and it's not that big of a deal, the biggest complaint she had was that she was told that all Black Americans were uneducated, poor and on welfare, and that she would have a hard life if she married me. Her father was dark and married into a very politically prominent White skinned Dominican family who basically disowned her mother when she married a dark skinned person, but the animosity over that seems to have waned over the decades and it's more acceptable.
The stereotypes abound, and there is some discrimination, and some raised eyebrows when I tell them my educational background ( Graduate Degree ) and my financial status ( middle class-middle middle ), but overall, once they know me as an individual, away from the stereotypes, it fades.

I think race is irrelevant these days, but that's me, but there are some that hold fast to old habits. C'est la vie.....
Do not tell people your educational background or your financial status let people think what they want, LIFE is easier that way. If they cannot accept YOU for who you are SCREW them. Where you attended school or your net worth does not define who you are, YOU define who you are. A man is NOT determinant how much a man makes.

BTW I tell people in the DR when they ask me what do I do in the US, I reply " I the one in charge of putting salt on fries at Burger King", life is EASIER that way allowing people to think the way they want.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Do not tell people your educational background or your financial status let people think what they want, LIFE is easier that way. If they cannot accept YOU for who you are SCREW them. Where you attended school or your net worth does not define who you are, YOU define who you are. A man is NOT determinant how much a man makes.

BTW I tell people in the DR when they ask me what do I do in the US, I reply " I the one in charge of putting salt on fries at Burger King", life is EASIER that way allowing people to think the way they want.

You've got a promotion? ;)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

Glad you took my advice.......