Mi Fi in DR?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Has anyone priced either the unlocked units or provider specific? either is good to know.
I'm interested in the unit prices and what kind of Gb you get for your $ with the pay as you go sim through Orange or Claro.
But really just the cost of the actual device itself over there. The cheapest unlocked over here in the UK is around 70 to 80quid.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have been to ten different Claro stores trying to purchase the ZTE-MF30 router/modem. Needless to say no one could help, typical DR customer service. Actually two of the Claro stores had the device in the showcase but both sales clerks tapped the unit on the counter top as if to say there was nothing inside. Funny, but true.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have been to ten different Claro stores trying to purchase the ZTE-MF30 router/modem. Needless to say no one could help, typical DR customer service. Actually two of the Claro stores had the device in the showcase but both sales clerks tapped the unit on the counter top as if to say there was nothing inside. Funny, but true.
where are you based? often the smaller shops in the capital sell things and unlock them, might be worth a try. You know the kind of small stall you'd get a phone unlocked.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
where are you based? often the smaller shops in the capital sell things and unlock them, might be worth a try. You know the kind of small stall you'd get a phone unlocked.
I tried Claro stores in Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, Claro at SDQ, the Claro kiosk in Ole Supermercado and received nothing but dumb looks. I either got a response of "we don't have it" or try another store. The sales clerks were too busy either eating rice and beans out of a plastic container or blowing their fingernails dry.

I will probably order an unlocked modem/router or a usb stick router from Amazon and take my chances. I much prefer purchasing one directly from Claro but that doesn't seem like it will be that easy to do.

I like this item but trying to find where I can purchase in the USA.

3G mobile wireless router USB Dongle Dock - YouTube

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You have to go to one of their main offices, none of the smaller stores have it. Your best bet is probably the store on Kennedy, in front of Americana.

You may also try Bella Vista Mall, or the one in Blue Mall.
Thanks, I will give the one on Kennedy a try.

Both stores at SDQ airport had them in the showcase but none for sale. The store on 30 de marzo in Gascue is a fairly large store but also had none for sale. Yesterday I sent an email to Claro requesting purchase info. I will see what they have to say if and when they reply. I know, wishful thinking.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You have to go to one of their main offices, none of the smaller stores have it. Your best bet is probably the store on Kennedy, in front of Americana.

You may also try Bella Vista Mall, or the one in Blue Mall.

No luck, I was told Claro sold out and has no idea "When or If" they will get more. I guess time to forget about Claro HotSpot Mi-Fi.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi bigbird!

What is mi-fi? Same as wi-fi?
Sort of like the same thing except Mi-Fi is your personal Wi-Fi. In other words you buy a small portable modem/router about the size of a cigarette pack but much thinner. You pay for an internet plan and you have access to the internet via your personal Wi-Fi. You can connect up to five devices to the modem/router at one time.

I currently have the Claro usb stick but that won't work with an IPad because the iPad and my iTouch do not have a usb port. So if I can get this modem/router device I can have Mi-Fi and be able to use my iPad or iTouch to connect to the router thus giving me internet access.

I originally tried using the Win7 adhoc network but iPad won't connect to an adhoc network.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Any news on your Mi-Fi? I have been looking at alternatives to this so a USB can be used. I got a bit excited after buying an adapter to plug into the iPad so I could transfer files from laptop and camera, video to iPad, and it works with SD cards, I can move files over, but it only works with the SD and won't pick up the USB, which is not a surprise but hey, I wasn't even sure it would pick up the adapter never mind read the SD card so at east that's a bonus.
So, any joy?