Renewing Canadian Passport?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I need to renew my Canadian passport as it expires in a few months and have been warned on my recent travel back.

Sadly, i had a lost passport in my past therefore NOT eligible for what is called the "simple renewal application"

I plan to renew at SD embassy. Problem is the application requires a Guarantor of specific profession and requirements. The concerning one is they need to be a Canadian Citizen that has known you at least the past 2 years.
I have a DR Lawyer who fits the profession but not the Canadian part. Ayone else muscle through this one?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Yup,- passports stolen last year and needed to get new ones to get out of the country. Officially passports not required at that time but the airlines would not board us without a valid passport. Had no guarantor . The embassy has a procedure which will cost you about 50$ for cases such as this. it's a special document. We got ours at the POP counsulate but the passports were issued in SD. However, if you have a lawyer who can guarentee I would sure try that route first to save the 50$.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yup,- passports stolen last year and needed to get new ones to get out of the country. Officially passports not required at that time but the airlines would not board us without a valid passport. Had no guarantor . The embassy has a procedure which will cost you about 50$ for cases such as this. it's a special document. We got ours at the POP counsulate but the passports were issued in SD. However, if you have a lawyer who can guarentee I would sure try that route first to save the 50$.

Thanks!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The simplified renewal form is not available yet in the DR anyways but your guarantor doesn't need to be Canadian. He/she only needs to be either a dentist, doctor, lawyer or bank manager legally working in the DR that's known you for at least 2 years. As Pularvik stated, if you don't have a guarantor, at the embassy you fill out a Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor which has a cost of 50CAD and allows you to skip that step. If you do have a guarantor, don't forget to make sure he/she signs on the back of one of you pictures.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The simplified renewal form is not available yet in the DR anyways but your guarantor doesn't need to be Canadian. He/she only needs to be either a dentist, doctor, lawyer or bank manager legally working in the DR that's known you for at least 2 years. As Pularvik stated, if you don't have a guarantor, at the embassy you fill out a Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor which has a cost of 50CAD and allows you to skip that step. If you do have a guarantor, don't forget to make sure he/she signs on the back of one of you pictures.

Thanks as well, much appreciated!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Wow another 5 years goes by in a flash!
Time for Canadian passport renewal. Has anyone done it recently, did it change from 5 years ago? Do we still submit the docs etc. to CAN Embassy in SD in Acropolis center?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Get the 10 yr one..... 

My friend did again on POP, and all was the same 

Do you northern amigos have an option between 5 and 10 year passports? Other than the obvious length of time what are the other differences? If a 10 year is available, wouldn't it be easier on you to opt for the longer one? Just asking, Royal Mounties need reply only.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I think they dropped the list of professions for the guarantor, - anyone with a phone number can vouch for you (including non-Canadians).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think they dropped the list of professions for the guarantor, - anyone with a phone number can vouch for you (including non-Canadians).

Renewals, no guarantor needed otherwise anyone with a valid Canadian Passport can sign your pictures and application.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
5 year old thread. Probably got their new one and lost it too by now. Lol

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
List of professions still applies if you don't have a Canadian guarantor. If you can do the simplified renewal you don't need a guarantor or birth/citizinship certificate. All info available at www.cic.gc.ca including fillable form for Canadians abroad. Careful with your pictures, can't be digitally modified.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Detail with the 10 years is if you travel several times a year, you'll probably fill it up before it expires. Same number of pages in 5 or 10 year and no option to add pages.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
List of professions still applies if you don't have a Canadian guarantor. If you can do the simplified renewal you don't need a guarantor or birth/citizinship certificate.

ok maybe they are not called guarantors in the simplified form but you are still asked to provide 2 non-family references who have known you for at least 2 years. I am a little fuzzy on the difference here because doesn't the guarantor basically state the same thing?

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I renewed mine in sD a few years ago with the same problem. You just have to pay an additional amount (can't remember how much right now), and they will process the renewal without the guarantor. If I remember correctly it took less than 2 weeks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
ok maybe they are not called guarantors in the simplified form but you are still asked to provide 2 non-family references who have known you for at least 2 years. I am a little fuzzy on the difference here because doesn't the guarantor basically state the same thing?
A guarantor fills out part of the form and legally declares to have known you for at least 2 years. That's for a regular application if you don't qualify for the simplified. References are just the names and addresses of 2 people Passport Canada can call if necessary.