Penalty for Late Filing of Accounts

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
On 26th April we received an email from a local lawyer saying all accounts had to be filed by 31st April (I know there are only 30 days in April). We were late and when the accountant returned from Puerto Plata today he said we would have to pay a fine of RD$15,000.

This is for a local charity. I accept we were late and it was our fault, but by any stretch of the imagination this is exorbitant.

Is this a result of the forthcoming election? Is anyone aware of any dispensations, or bodies we could appeal to. My inclination is not to pay the fine immediately unless someone tells me it increases with each week's delay.

I would appreciate any comments.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
All these penalties are negotiable and you need a good lawyer to do the negotiation with the department .

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Thank you for the information. If you had any recommendations of an accountant or lawyer with this experience it would be most helpful.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thank you for the information. If you had any recommendations of an accountant or lawyer with this experience it would be most helpful.

Pay the fine and spare the time and cost of legal help. Ask the person who files for you to tell you all the annual deadlines so you can make sure you are paying in time.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
For small amounts, it's not worth it to retain a lawyer or accountant.

For large amounts, I would recommend it strongly. You can easily obtain a 40% reduction in the "recargos" and sis months to pay without interest.

raymi

May 25, 2008
www.mejialora.com
In some cases if your accountant or you explain the situation to the administrator (DGII), making emphasis in that your are indeed a local charity, you could obtain the anullment of the fine. It is not easy but it is posible.

As Mr. Guzman indicates, if not you could at least obtain a reduction of 30-40%, with the proper advisisory.