Do Dominican's have a live for the day attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011
I've only been going down to the Dominican Republic for a couple of years so I'm far from an expert on everything Dominican. I do respect and enjoy the culture and I think that the country is one of the most beautiful in the world. So, this being said, I wanted to hear what others think about one particular observation that I think has been detrimental to the Dominican Republic in many ways.

From what I've seen, Dominicans tend to have a live for the day attitude. The average wage here is minuscule by standards in my home country (U.S.) but it seems like they will spend every dime they get on the latest cell phone, clothes, buy the most expensive of items and yet fail to put anything away for a rainy day or invest. Obviously this doesn't apply to all the Dominicans I've met. Some could give a Harvard Business School grad a run for their money. It's also not that I haven't seen this type of behavior in the U.S. It's just not as prevalent. I also don't think that it's strictly Dominican as many other Islands in the Caribbean tend to display this behavior. For obvious reasons this behavior is detrimental to forming family wealth. So, ok, what is it about the culture that has brought this about? Why is it so prevalent? I'd very much like to hear the points of view of Dominicans and of others who've spent a decade or more in the country. If I'm wrong or I should be looking at this from a different perspective, please explain.

No disrespect is intended with this post, it's an honest question/observation from my point of view. I'd just like to gain a better understanding of the why behind the behavior. Thanks!!!! DB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well when you make just enough to fulfill you immediate needs the last thing you're thinking about is saving some of that money for a rainy day. Counter-intuitive? Sure it is, but it is what it is. Also in The DR you just don't know what may happen where you may lose that money, so I think that's why you see people blow everything they got as soon as they get it. Where are you going to put it? In the bank? Don't trust the banks as they have gone bankrupt in the past and someone may just simply steal your money. Under the mattress? Nope...someone may find it there and take it. Best I can do is spend it right now on the things I want. I'm exaggerating of course, but that's kind of how the thinking goes.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most younger Dominicans will save as long as it takes to have a decent cell phone, a couple of nice pairs of shoes and a some clothes. Still this hardly compares to the average American or European to say the least.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011
Well when you make just enough to fulfill you immediate needs the last thing you're thinking about is saving some of that money for a rainy day. Counter-intuitive? Sure it is, but it is what it is. Also in The DR you just don't know what may happen where you may lose that money, so I think that's why you see people blow everything they got as soon as they get it. Where are you going to put it? In the bank? Don't trust the banks as they have gone bankrupt in the past and someone may just simply steal your money. Under the mattress? Nope...someone may find it there and take it. Best I can do is spend it right now on the things I want. I'm exaggerating of course, but that's kind of how the thinking goes.

I've read that there have been major issues with the peso loosing value and the country going broke in the past but the D.R. currenly has one of the strongest economies in the carribian. If I understand correctly, you are saying that Dominicans have been screwed one to many times by the system?
That is sad. They can't see how much damage that type of thinking does. Spend it all and grab everything you can. **** off any real money comming to the island with scams, criminal behavior and corruption. It's too bad they can't see the potential.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
DB you are generalizing too much. There are Dominicans that fit every description. Young people generally from any country tend to live for today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. There are many Dominicans that are frugal spenders and great savers.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
DB you are generalizing too much. There are Dominicans that fit every description. Young people generally from any country tend to live for today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. There are many Dominicans that are frugal spenders and great savers.

Yep. Completely agree. My kids (Americans) can't save a penny to save their soul. As soon as they get any money they just want to blow through it and find a million things they all of sudden "need".

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Answer: You can't save what you don't have its that simple. Now I have a question for you, I would rather read how and when you came to LOVE Dominicans SO MUCH? Did a Dominican save your life?

Will somebody PLEASE!!! start a thread and title it "I AM NOT DOMINICAN, but I love and want to become one and this why!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Answer: You can't save what you don't have its that simple. Now I have a question for you, I would rather read how and when you came to LOVE Dominicans SO MUCH? Did a Dominican save your life?

Will somebody PLEASE!!! start a thread and title it "I AM NOT DOMINICAN, but I love and want to become one and this why!!!

You married a Dominican so you must love Dominicans as well.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011

I've been so poor in my life that I didn't have a place to sleep. I worked 2 or more jobs at different points in my life. When I was younger I did without because I saw a future. Paid for my education, etc. I retired young and live comfortably. I'm not of the Uber-Rich but I do OK. I made the point earlier in the post about saying that I've met some Dominicans that didn't have this attitude but it does seem more prevalent here. Even while trying to explain to a Dominican that you want repeat customers and customer satisfaction will get you there. The going modus oparandi is to grift what you can and screw what you might get tomorrow. But I'll say it again, NOT EVERY DOMINICAN IS LIKE THIS AND NOT EVERYONE FROM THE U.S. OR EUROPE SAVES OR THINKS OF THE FUTURE. I'm not type-yelling with the caps but I am trying to communicate clearly. I am saying that it's my opinion that both young and old Dominicans seem to have the live for now attitude.

Now, why I like Dominicans, I like there strong sense of family ties. I think it's an attribute that's been lost in my country. I like the religion, not all are Catholic but I come from a family where religion is important and even there laws reflect their beliefs. For example, I'm not a fan of abortion. In the D.R. it isn't legal. I hear a lot of negative things about Dominicans here and certainly they've some cultural issues from my perspective as well. But what can I say, there are things about the culture that appeal to me. There are things about the women that appeal to me. They appeal to me to a much higher degree than women from my own country.
I suppose that because I've traveled so much that I have a fairly open mind and I'm past my ethnocentric attitude. I accept the people for who they are. Oh, and the Island is absolutely beautiful.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011

become one no...I am happy with who I am. Love them any many aspects of dominican culture....(not all), si claro. Why? Many reasons...but for starters how about family values and the extended family and village support system that has all but erroded in the US but is relied upon out of the vacuum left by a dysfunctional goverment in the DR.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011
Bob, I'm trying not to generalize too much. It's just that it seems to be a prevalent attitude here in the D.R. Young or old. Now, I've also seen Dominicans that were flat out focused and driven.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
What ever attitude it can be called, average Dominicans seem to be much less materialistic than those in other cultures. To me there is a true beauty in that. Family, friends, survival...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My opinion is that some Dominicans are not sure what tomorrow will bring so they spend today and will think about tomorrow, tomorrow. My in-laws are a great example. Never, ever have they been able to plan ahead. When they would visit us in the US could they plan ahead to get a better price for the flight, NO they had to do everything at the last minute and pay the higher price. This went on for years, still does. It is true that now you will see that everyone wants the newest item, the newest phone, etc..and will spend their last dime to get it. My son is another great example of this but he was like this in the US also. Give him a ten and it is gone in ten, seconds.

lafiera

Apr 26, 2009
I've only been going down to the Dominican Republic for a couple of years so I'm far from an expert on everything Dominican. I do respect and enjoy the culture and I think that the country is one of the most beautiful in the world. So, this being said, I wanted to hear what others think about one particular observation that I think has been detrimental to the Dominican Republic in many ways.

From what I've seen, Dominicans tend to have a live for the day attitude. The average wage here is minuscule by standards in my home country (U.S.) but it seems like they will spend every dime they get on the latest cell phone, clothes, buy the most expensive of items and yet fail to put anything away for a rainy day or invest. Obviously this doesn't apply to all the Dominicans I've met. Some could give a Harvard Business School grad a run for their money. It's also not that I haven't seen this type of behavior in the U.S. It's just not as prevalent. I also don't think that it's strictly Dominican as many other Islands in the Caribbean tend to display this behavior. For obvious reasons this behavior is detrimental to forming family wealth. So, ok, what is it about the culture that has brought this about? Why is it so prevalent? I'd very much like to hear the points of view of Dominicans and of others who've spent a decade or more in the country. If I'm wrong or I should be looking at this from a different perspective, please explain.

No disrespect is intended with this post, it's an honest question/observation from my point of view. I'd just like to gain a better understanding of the why behind the behavior. Thanks!!!! DB

HOla, yo soy uno de los estupidos Dominicanos , DB cooper es tu nombre ? o talves D.B cooper ? . Cuantos anos tienes? . Eres paracaidista ?. este estupido Dominicano necesita un celular nuevo.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010

As you mention, "that this is detrimental to forming family wealth"...not as much as..being stuck with an unfair divorce judgement that makes you poor for most of your live. But you know D.B.C. this gadgets are hard to resist and in a society that values these kinds of things. We Caribbeans pray Padre Nuestro...which..says no nos dejes caer en la tentacion, meaning dont let us fall in temptation. Any way I agree with your views on the subject.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011
HOla, yo soy uno de los estupidos Dominicanos , DB cooper es tu nombre ? o talves D.B cooper ? . Cuantos anos tienes? . Eres paracaidista ?. este estupido Dominicano necesita un celular nuevo.
Lo siento, yo no estaba ofreciendo a comprar un tel?fono nuevo.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
This behavior is worldwide..Everybody wants the new flashy gadget, the new designer handbag, kids in China are selling their kidneys on the black market to get the latest IPAD...People of every culture are being led to believe that material items define who you are as a person. It's probably been like that since the beginning of time, with the item of desire evolving every year that passes.
I don't see any difference between the D.R and any other foreign country I've been when it comes to materialism. Maybe you are just shocked that a person from a "3rd world country" can come up with the money to buy the item in the first place and thats why it seems prevalent to you.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You married a Dominican so you must love Dominicans as well.

I married my wife she happen to be Dominican there is a difference. Let me get something straight BOB I am NOT into Dominicans they are OK, but I think they WEAR TOO MUCH makeup and when you wear a lot it destroys you skin that is why a lot of women in DR have bad skin. My soon to be ex wife is GREAT!!! I just have bad luck she is a "alpha female" and I am a" alpha male"put those two together and you will have a war 24/7. NO WOMAN tells me what to do, she thought she could.

JMB773 life with women is OVER!! I have two different daughters by two different women it will NEVER be three. I am NOT one of those guys who NEEDS a woman to feel whole. I wash my own cloths, cook my own food I'm good and hang out with my BOYS!! You Bob like many others NEED a woman to define you, ME not SO MUCH!!!

Lastly you OWE me BOB you just don't know it. I am the " BAD GUY" that so many women speak of. Without me in the world there could be NO Bob Saunders the ulitmate "GOOD GUY" I make you relevant.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011
This behavior is worldwide..Everybody wants the new flashy gadget, the new designer handbag, kids in China are selling their kidneys on the black market to get the latest IPAD...People of every culture are being led to believe that material items define who you are as a person. It's probably been like that since the beginning of time, with the item of desire evolving every year that passes.
I don't see any difference between the D.R and any other foreign country I've been when it comes to materialism. Maybe you are just shocked that a person from a "3rd world country" can come up with the money to buy the item in the first place and thats why it seems prevalent to you.
Wow, you are truly a hateful person aren't you. You've got issues. Look in the first place, the D.R. is not 3rd world, it's a developing country and therefore it's 2nd world. It also has one of the strongest economies in the Caribbean. You've accused me on several occasions of being a sexist, a racist (I'm still laughing at that), you imply that because I come from the U.S. that I'm ethnocentric and think that I'm somehow better than Dominicans. What's wrong with you?

Are you upset because I choose not to marry or have children with women from the U.S. Is there ONE man on this forum that at the very least doesn't understand why I might have that particular attitude. What in God's name is wrong with you? All I am saying is that the "Live for Today" attitude seems to be prevalent here in the D.R. The best explanation for this behavior that I've heard is that their economy has gone through major upheaval and so there is an inherent mistrust for saving money. I can understand not wanting to save when a peso that currently might have the purchasing power of 1/37th of a dollar might loose significant value or may become worthless. If the banks can't be trusted and the situation is such that you can't invest in property, gold, etc. I get it. I understand why I see this behavior.
You should really sit down and look in the mirror, I don't think you realize that the things you say makes you sound like a very bigoted person who lacks the intellect to understand that it's you that has an issue with the people in the Dominican Republic. I rather like there culture and their people. There are some issues but I've traveled quite a bit in my life and those issues are everywhere.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I've been so poor in my life that I didn't have a place to sleep. I worked 2 or more jobs at different points in my life. When I was younger I did without because I saw a future. Paid for my education, etc. I retired young and live comfortably. I'm not of the Uber-Rich but I do OK. I made the point earlier in the post about saying that I've met some Dominicans that didn't have this attitude but it does seem more prevalent here. Even while trying to explain to a Dominican that you want repeat customers and customer satisfaction will get you there. The going modus oparandi is to grift what you can and screw what you might get tomorrow. But I'll say it again, NOT EVERY DOMINICAN IS LIKE THIS AND NOT EVERYONE FROM THE U.S. OR EUROPE SAVES OR THINKS OF THE FUTURE. I'm not type-yelling with the caps but I am trying to communicate clearly. I am saying that it's my opinion that both young and old Dominicans seem to have the live for now attitude.

Now, why I like Dominicans, I like there strong sense of family ties. I think it's an attribute that's been lost in my country. I like the religion, not all are Catholic but I come from a family where religion is important and even there laws reflect their beliefs. For example, I'm not a fan of abortion. In the D.R. it isn't legal. I hear a lot of negative things about Dominicans here and certainly they've some cultural issues from my perspective as well. But what can I say, there are things about the culture that appeal to me. There are things about the women that appeal to me. They appeal to me to a much higher degree than women from my own country.
I suppose that because I've traveled so much that I have a fairly open mind and I'm past my ethnocentric attitude. I accept the people for who they are. Oh, and the Island is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks this was great now I know. Just one thing when you BELITTLE and INSULT your OWN people, not too many people will take you serious no matter where you reside or call home.

Status
Not open for further replies.