Hello, Hola!

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Hi Everyone,

My name is John McCormick and my family and I (five of us total) are planning to move down to the Dominican Republic from the U.S. along with a friend of ours. The D.R. is beautiful and we're looking forward to a peaceful life in the Caribbean.

I used to know Spanish semi-fluently, and can understand a whole lot more than I can currently speak, but it shouldn't take that long to get back to speaking Spanish again.

Not much else to say. If you have questions, please ask!

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Well, we're hoping to live near Sosua. At the moment we are just in the beginning stages of planning, but we have a couple properties in mind.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Welcome! Why have you decided to move? Do you have young children? Retired?

We have four children between the three of us. My wife and I have three children, 13, 11, and 9. Our friend Bethany has a son, 6.

We're moving because we are just so tired of the lifestyle up here in the States. Bethany is a frequent visitor to the Caribbean and has always wanted to live there, and we also feel it would be a nice place to live, and economically feasible.

Bethany has money to invest; I'm a writer, an inventor, and a computer technician with 28 years of experience; and my wife is a photographer.

There is something to be said for a more laid-back lifestyle, of which I am the greatest fan. I enjoy working hard, but hate having to always be someplace at an exact time. The Dominican Republic seems ideal to us, and we'd like to give it a chance.

Besides that, the D.R. is steeped in history and culture and we'd greatly enjoy experiencing it firsthand.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Welcome aboard. Why Sosua?

There's a property near Sosua that we are interested in. There are some quite fancy places around there. This one is in the RD$50 million range.

Our friend would like to invest and rent out the extra rooms, and we'd provide a few tours and perhaps a scuba-diving experience as well. It really depends on whether it's economically feasible in that area. It's not too far from the Breezes resort.

Meanwhile when not doing that, I'll be writing and my wife has her photography. We aren't wealthy, but we're hard-working and honest, and just want to get away to a Caribbean lifestyle.

John M.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
'but hate having to always be someplace at an exact date"

You come to your paradise, here is nobody someplace on exact date. Ma?ana don't means tomorrow here, it means : Not today but sometimes in the future maybe

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Jog Trot

'but hate having to always be someplace at an exact date"
You come to your paradise, here is nobody someplace on exact date.

Wrong.
Active tourists usually have a tight agenda and expect punctual pickups for excursions and services.
If the OP is not prepared for that he need not engage in business with tourists and tour operators. :tired:

donP

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Sorry, I forgot this guy won't to make his living by serving tourist. In that case he has to change lifestyle

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Welcome John, my family and I are also in the planning stages to move to Sosua. We have a 13 and 9yr old and we are hoping to move down full time towards the end of the summer.