What's your opinion on this presentation of the city of Santiago:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Do you agree or not with the opinions expressed by this expert on the City of Santiago and his experience?

[video=youtube;H1R6HmrtCA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1R6HmrtCA0[/video]

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
He's a fish out of water reporting what he saw from limited experience and obvious discomfort with his surroundings.
If he had someone familiar with the city show him around, I'd say he'd come away with a very different impression.

No non-Spanish speaking, not too adventurous tourist is going to find Santiago a great destination. As you heard, he recommends Punta Cana.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Wow, if those streets were the worst thing he's ever seen, then I'd have to say he doesn't get out much... Side note..his voice sometimes reminded me of the guy from the honey badger video, I was waiting for him to say ""ewww that's just naaasty"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think that guy has been living an extremely sheltered life, but it is understandable why he felt like that. He had no idea what he was doing, didn't researched his destination prior to visiting, etc. That's the only way someone can say there's nothing to see or do in Santiago. Centro Le?n, the Monument, the Tobacco Museum are some of the things that pop into my head of places a tourist should be, at very least, aware they exist.

He talked about searching for architecture or something identifiable to the city and he couldn't find any. Yet, there he was in the center of Santiago, which is the neighborhood with perhaps the most exciting architectural mixture in the city. There are neoclassical buildings (the post office is a good example), elegant victorian houses, Spanish revival, brutalist, modern and many other styles; and yes, the usual bland boxes as well. Unless he was expecting beaux arts type of buildings all over the place -which DR only has like 3 nationwide-, I really don't know why he even mentioned there's no architecture.

The poverty, well, he bumped into a marginalized neighborhood and probably the old p?blicos didn't give him a good vibe. In a good deal of Santiago you actually have to search the marginalized areas in order to see them.

The garbage situation in Santiago isn't as bad as he claims, except in certain areas. Apparently, that's where he decided to walk through.

The smell of car exhaust is true, not just in Santiago but practically nationwide. It takes roughly 3 or 4 days before people stop noticing it. There's nothing that can be done about that, as well as with the noise.

He was just completely ignorant of where he was going and didn't do his homework of what to see, do, and where to travel in the city. He even mentioned Santo Domingo and beach in the same sentence, a sign that he either stayed in Boca Chica (judging by his reaction to Santiago, I don't think so) or Juan Dolio and thought he was in SD.

By looking at the small clips of video that he took in the streets, my guess is that he simply walked around the Center, then on the 27 de Febrero heading towards the west, as if you're going to Navarrete and that part of town is not particularly the nicest area, but I don't consider that to be terribly bad. Those areas are mostly a mixture of middle class and working class neighborhoods. However, it is different from the eastern part of the city and I'm sure he would had felt much more comfortable in that area, which apparently he didn't bothered to visit.

All in all, I think he was just didn't do his homework and then made one bad decision after another, as far as his standards are concerned. Another thing to take into consideration is that he, apparently, was walking all over the place and that greatly limits how much of the city anyone can cover during any visit. I'm guessing he didn't took a taxi (to where? He didn't even know what there's to see!) and much less rented a car. Never looked at a map or even asked at the hotel what is there to see and do.

For the most part, it's his fault for having such a bad time.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I don't get how someone can say "I've traveled a lot and this is the worst poverty I've ever seen", and proceed to show that city street and those pictures. Really? Hard to believe you've traveled that much or seen poverty if those are supposed to be the examples.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This was an honest description of this man's first impression of Santiago. From the video I saw exactly what he described.
I am sure there is more to the city than what he saw as a newbie. People familar with the city and the DR tend not to see the everyday things.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Who let him out without his "Nanny" ?

We all should know that some of the things he said are true.
Beeping horns, garbage overflowing, etc.

However, for someone that "Travels a lot", his report is very bias.
You can't do a valid critique of a place with such limited on-hand experience.

The shanty town he pictured is one of the few (Mostly at bridge underpasses).

This guy should never be out on the street without a babysitter and/or nurse.

He was evidently scared with his "White Guy" remark and his phone remark.

Jan 9, 2004
Pichardo:

He saw what he saw and then tried to describe Santiago through that prism.....sort of like viewing Santiago through a prism of high rise torres and photos of new malls....neither, in my opinion, are accurate reflections.

It reminds me of the Indian Fable of blind men describing an elephant.

As was pointed out above, he really did not do any research as to the city.....or so it would appear. His quip in the video about the "beach" in Santo Domingo also speaks volumes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

tim c

May 3, 2007
You have to admit that the DR is close to the bottom of third world countrys.Iv been to poorer areas of the world but I dont think Iv ever met more ignorant locals then here. I recently had a conversation with a group of motos that said they drive at night with there lights off to save gas.I could go on and give many more examples but why? We all know we live in a nation of fools

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
ONE OF THE MOST IGNORANT AND PLAINLY STUPID PORTRAILS OF ANY PLACE THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!

This guy has got to be very gay, very "sensitive" and incredibly stupid. Did he make it to Centro Leon or the Arts house at 36 en las Tablas.? Did he take in any of the parks or the Mercado Modelo (Chaos itself but interesting?) Did he make it to the Arena del Cibao or the ball park? or go to HOMS or to the Catedral...

I am sorry, I love my laptop and in order not to vomit on it I had to turn that jerk off.

I can't think of a good term for him but "wuss" ...."pussy" ....."mommy's litlle boy"

I guess he did not meet the "right" people....(his kind of people)....Gee, if he had asked me, I could have introduced him to a few.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You have to admit that the DR is close to the bottom of third world countrys.Iv been to poorer areas of the world but I dont think Iv ever met more ignorant locals then here. I recently had a conversation with a group of motos that said they drive at night with there lights off to save gas.I could go on and give many more examples but why? We all know we live in a nation of fools

Funny that I know plenty of people that have biked here and even motoconchos and I've never heard that. You sure you were in the DR????

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I've seen many many motoconchos at night with lights off.........
And I live in Santiago.........
I take taxi's everywhere and the drivers are always upset with them......
The Colmado at the end of my street has 3 motos for delivery until 10:00 pm and they don't even have lights..........They depend on the street lights.....
If necessary I will take photos of them and post..........

B in Santiago

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've seen many many motoconchos at night with lights off.........

How do you know if they are motoconchos?

Just because there are a few fools out there doesn't mean the majority of those on bikes are stupid - of course if it makes you guys feel better to think that....

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
How do you know if they are motoconchos?

Just because there are a few fools out there doesn't mean the majority of those on bikes are stupid - of course if it makes you guys feel better to think that....

Why is it that YOU and PICHARDO find it necessary to call people liars......
Do you get off on this.......

B in Santiago

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why is it that YOU and PICHARDO find it necessary to call people liars......
Do you get off on this.......

B in Santiago

Why do you have to accuse me of calling you a liar? I simply asked if you knew if they were motoconchos? Talk about trolling.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Pichardo,

If he weren't so ignorant, I'd almost be insulted by this guy's stupid remarks and conclusions. He thought THAT was loud? Ask him to walk around the same neighborhood whenever Aguilas defeats the Tigers! I concede that there are areas of Santiago that have problems with trash, but to criticize the entire city for it is simply ignorant. It is also very hard to imagine that he couldn't find ANYTHING to see or do. Those of us who live and work here know that the staff at the Hodelpa know better; if he didn't ask, then who's fault is that? And don't get me started on his "white boy" comment. This guy's opinions need to go straight into the Clown Bin.

Aguilucho Soy!

Preston

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Looks and sounds like Barney Frank's son. Peeking under bridges to find a squatter, hoping to get lucky.
The street shots he complains of look and sound a lot like neighborhoods in LA, CHI and NY, but his heart goes pitty-pat from the double tap of the carrito horns (looking for fares), because he hears what he expects to hear from NY (road rage).
Sees what he expects to see.
I'd like to show him Medan, Caracas, Cairo, Bandung, Bombay, Naples, Sao Paolo . . . .

NY Liberals. Sooooo smug, sneering, snide — yet sooooo empathetic and caring for their brown brothers . . .

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Why do you have to accuse me of calling you a liar? I simply asked if you knew if they were motoconchos? Talk about trolling.

Been here since Dec, 2005.........I think I know a Motoconcho when I see one........
They look like...................Hmmmm.....Motoconchos........lol

B in Santiago