Importing rebar into the DR

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
can anyone advise the current duty on rebar imported into the DR (varillas) from South Florida or Europe please, I tried with the general office of the Aduanas but didn't get very far.

Regards & thanks in advance.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
can anyone advise the current duty on rebar imported into the DR (varillas) from South Florida or Europe please, I tried with the general office of the Aduanas but didn't get very far.

Regards & thanks in advance.

and you won?t. they are useless botellas, who are in their posts because of being political satellites. i tried for a year to get some simple information out of the same department, with no success.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
20% from Europe and in 2011 it was 14.4% from USA. It is included in DR-CAFTA, so every year the duty will be less from the USA only, until it reaches 0%.

Good luck competing with Metaldom (over 90% market share) and Inca. If your intention is to import to sell, you're going to need it. lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I can see happening (unless you are really rich and can buy boatloads of the stuff from Russia or China or India), is that Metaldom or Inca will have their " friends" in Customs find ways to delay the release of your re-bar, which "storage" charges, interest accumulates and your buyers are screaming!!

Then they will offer a little and you take it just to get the h3ll out of Dodge!! No, I am not kidding. Been done and will be done again.

HB

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
There is a big and strong mafia with this business. You can do it but you have to be ready to face a few obstacles.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The question is are you importing to sell or importing to use ?

Regards,

PJT