bicycles for transportation?

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Often when I travel I take my fold up bike. Some places it works great, (cuba). some places it doesnt work at all (cancun)........just too much auto traffic in Cancun......In Cuba bicycles have their own lane on the freeways!! So does anyone have information on biking saftey around DR?..I like to take my bike on the bus to a town, and then use it for transportation. That is to say, I don't ride cross country, I'm too old and fat. Are the streets wide enough to accomodate a bike rider? Are there others using bikes? Will I be rundown like a chipmunk?
thx PH

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Run down like a chipmunk would be my opinion, although there aren't any in this country... you can't say dog either because they're very smart and look both ways before crossing. But in short, I personally wouldn't recommended it in general.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It really depends where, but in most places here in the DR, I would consider this a dangerous thing to do.

If there is no traffic, then it would be ok, but then you probably have bad roads.

If there is traffic, the cars and motorbikes will run you off the road.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I owned a bike store for nearly 20 years and did a lot of road and mountain bike riding and racing, at times down some treacherous terrain. I would NEVER ride a bike on a main road here due to the poor judgment and hurried pace of drivers. Back roads (Read: Dirt roads or those in poor condition) WOULD make for good mountain bike riding, but then that is not you intent.

I see lots of people riding bikes, but that does not mean that it is a safe endeavour!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've been riding a motorbike for 6 years now and have increasingly seen more people on bikes and think any advice that biking here is dangerous is more anecdotal than anything unless you try to get on a big fast boulevard like in SD. The fact is there are millions of motorbikes on the roads here and drivers are very accustomed to having to be on the lookout for motorbikers some of which don't go a lot faster than a bicycle. In fact, I've been passed by a bicycle on my motorbike taking my girls to school more than once. :) Like anything one has to apply common sense and also stay on the edge of the road.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I will add of the accidents I've heard of have been because bikers have been on the major highways here. I would not recommend that.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Potatohead,

You could do everything correctly as a rider and not be safe on a bike in DR. I've been tempted to get another road bike several times. Then I'll be driving and a car or motorbike comes directly at me - going the wrong way and on the wrong side of the road! Many roads are generally in poor condition and others have no shoulder. Like others have commented, many people ride bikes in DR, but I would not recommend it.

Preston

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did cycle in london but i would not do it in DR. mainly because many drivers think it's super cool to pass the bike as close as possible and then HONK. it's possibly dues to their misopinion that a crash at low bike speed would be totally harmless but immensly funny to watch.

so if i were you i would walk. you'd be slower but also have more time to enjoy dominican a**es. which also brings me to the point that in london i had on avergage one accident a week mostly due to looking at the girls. and if i managed to see that much of a good meat amongst winterly dressed brits think about summery tropics...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
. you'd be slower but also have more time to enjoy dominican a**es. which also brings me to the point that in london i had on avergage one accident a week mostly due to looking at the girls. and if i managed to see that much of a good meat amongst winterly dressed brits think about summery tropics...

DV8, I always thought you are a "she". It's all good though!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am a she. but who am i supposed to stare at if men do not wear short and tight? and those who do are not intested in opposite sex? i look at girls, there is no other choice! ;)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Listen to the majority - "run over like a chipmunk" sums it up. Riding a bicycle anywhere around cars is dangerous. Here its suicide. Number one cause of death in the DR is highway accidents. That includes cars. small motorcycles, pedestrians and bicycles. Even driving a car is dangerous. Dominicans are a world unto themselves when it comes to driving; hi speed, often drunk, and a total disregard for any rules of the road. Only thing worse than driving in the Dominican Republic is driving at night in the Dominican Republic.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
i have been riding my bike for a year now, mainly on highway 5 around sosua/cabarete (in both directions), and i really have idea why everyone is so negative.

i do ride during the daytime, mostly in the morning and didn't have any problems or scared moments. i'd say even contrary, most cars which come from behind sound their horn when they approach you (especially bigger trucks tend to do that 100%), and keep the distance to you. the road is wide enough and they do pay attention.

oc, i am not sure i would ever go on a a bike in santiago or santo domingo.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
i have been riding my bike for a year now, mainly on highway 5 around sosua/cabarete (in both directions), and i really have idea why everyone is so negative.

It's because they've seen many a busted up moto-conch drivers (after being run over by an suv) thrown into the back of a pickup truck and taken to the nearest Doctor or Medical Center.

No 911, no EMT's, no ambulances.

I used to rent motorcycles when in the DR. I had two close calls and that was enough. No mas. And a bicycle would be no different then being on a motorcycle there. I would advise against it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've been riding a small bike and/or pasola here in the DR the last 6 years mostly in Santiago but have been all over the country and have accumulated at least 30,000 miles and have not had a close call as of yet.

The fact is whether anybody on here "get's it" on not is that Dominicans are very defensive drivers (before evening and not on holidays)and mostly attentive because THEY HAVE TO BE. Therefore they are always on the lookout for motorbikes or pedestrians.

Yes a lot of accidents happen here in the DR but the majority of the time it is the motorbike riders is drinking or being careless. In other words if one is careful and doesn't get drunk and doesn't drive at night you want have a problem in most places, less the major highways and maybe SD. BTW, riding in Santiago in a bike is a pleasure and I even got to classes on my bike and return at night with no problems.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
BTW, with reference to riding a bike in Santiago I am talking about my motorbike. Still we have lots of people riding bicycles here in the AM and PM for exercise.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see many cyclists, young and fit. judging by their gear it's a hobby rather than means of transport. and the OP admited to be old and unfit fart. so i think he'd be better walking.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
FYI--Another poster (Berzin?) had posted a link to a Dominican bicyclist group on facebook. (Facebook is blocked for me at work, I'll look up the link later, if no-one else posts it in the meantime.) These guys (and gals) seem to go out for fun, and en mass, serious types (as in have nice bikes, all the gear, not casual riders) and worth checking out.

It's easy enough (and cheap enough) to catch a moto concho anywhere. Walking is probably a good option for you if you are used to biking. Don't start a thread on how safe walking is in the DR, as you'll not want to do even that after the responses!
The hazards of the rode we affectionately called "gringo traps"--they're out there waiting for you! I think location would be the deciding factor to do it or not.

I'd selfishly like you to try it, so you can report back your experience!