Montana to North Coast ...where do we buy good beef?

ButteMontana

May 11, 2012
How do we get it back ... .?

Id rather dry ice it from here ..but I don't want to risk thaT
. I meant On a regular basis . Since no one there uses freezers like we do , I would have to only get small amounts
Any places there like puerto plata ?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Since no one there uses freezers like we do , I would have to only get small amounts
Any places there like puerto plata ?

Don't worry about what others do. If you have reliable power, you can get a small deep freezer here with no problem. Since many don't have reliable power, deep freezers don't make sense in most homes as food would ruin when the power goes off for an extended period.

Unfortunately, I don't really have advice for where to buy great meats here. I get most of my meat at Playero in Sosua, but seldom buy steak as it just doesn't seem worth it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can buy decent whole filet at PriceSmart and cut it thick yourself. Not fabu, not epic, but decent...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You have to become an expert on preparation, it is all down to what you do to it before you cook it in DR.
There are a couple of restaurants in the capital where you can buy Aberdeen Angus, but to by for home then make the local butcher your best buddy, educate them on what cuts you want.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Nacional in Santiago has excellent range of Aberdeen Angus meat. La Sirena also stocks a limited selection of this imported beef.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't try and do everything on the internet. We all have out little ways.

If you have deeeeep pockets, you can buy Angus at La Sirena in Puerto Plata or Nacional in Santiago. However, the prices will cause you some "sticker shock" ...

There are other cuts (bring a few charts so you can show the local butchers how and where to cut, since most of them just hack) which can be purchased, seasoned and marinated overnight which do well. Know that most (99.99%) of local meat is free range beef. A ballplayer at a cook-out years ago, looked me in the eye and asked, " Are you sure this ain't venison?"

The word is "adapt to what is here" And every now and then go to the states, buy a few cuts, freeze them rock hard, wrap them well, put them in your bag and fly back. My boys have done this for years and we enjoy a feast.

Cordially,

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The short answer is you will probably be unhappy with the beef quality, especially given your current address.

Just one of the adjustments needed after relocating here.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I had to quit eating beef more than 20 years ago. BUT — in the 1980s:

The best filet I've ever had, outside of Louisiana and Paris, was from a butcher in Cap Ha?tien who dry hung it 90 days in ambient conditions until it had a hard green shell that made it look like a very large howitzer round. Inside, the filet was blue/black, no BS marbling of fat like the U.S. hormone-and-water stuffed schlock — and it cooked without tenderizing and cut with a fork.

Second best was from Erika, a butcher on the corner of San Felipe and Mella in PoP, but they're long gone.

Hispaniola has the oldest beef culture in the western hemisphere, most of which has been lost or modified by immigrants and by superior consumer production from the U.S. and Argentina. The U.S. beef lobby used Mad Cow hysteria to blacklist Argentinian beef, so that even today Asadero Argentina in SD must serve the USDA marbled schlock. But I'm sure that, as in the 80s, if you look well, you'll find a good source in the DR, probably run by a Gallego.

Or buy "free range" local (not hit by a car), and if you don't have the patience to dry hang it for 90 days, marinate in papaya (lechosa). But beef is one thing the DR needn't get dissed on.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Beef (and Pizza)

Mmmm...BEEF! Yes, that's a must. I'd like to find some good sources too before we move down to the D.R. John M.
If great beef is a must for you, I would consider looking at another location than the DR. Getting "good" beef will mean importing it yourself, paying very high prices for imported beef, or going through your own methods of aging and tenderizing it to get it to where you can actually eat local beef as others have mentioned. And about the same applies to pizza in the DR, there is no such thing as a great pizza in the DR unless you make it yourself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes..... thats it in my post above.

Really good meat.... best I've seen

The ribeyes looked great....

If you found a butcher that knows how to supply good aged beef at a reasonable price, that is a great thing.
Unfortunately a butcher in Santo Domingo isn't much help to someone on the north coast

I have also seen beef that "looks" like it would be good here, but still would be more suitable for retreading a tire.