Santiago to PC in 2 weeks. Help me plan please!

la2502

May 19, 2012
Heading to the DR with my hubby for 2 weeks. We fly into Santiago and then have 6 days to get to PC for a wedding. We are thinking to do the mountains for a few days, but I am having a hard time picking just 1 or 2 places to do in 6 days.

Do we have time to get to Samana with such a short time? Or is there somewhere else on the way that would be better for a few days?

What is travel time by public transport to Samana from Jarabacoa? Is Constanza or Jarabacoa more desirable? I want nature and no/little hustle and bustle. We are not climbing the mountain.

Is Santiago worth a few days or just an afternoon?

And then after PC, we have 2 days not booked at the resort before flying from PC airport. Is there a worthwhile place to stay in the area besides the AIs?

Bf speaks fluent Spanish and we would like to be somewhat adventurous before heading to the resort, not just beaches, but not doing any watersports or that kind of thing. It will be late August if that affects recommendations. We don't want to spend more than 5 hours on a bus in one day.

Budget a little higher than straight up backpacker.

Thanks in advance!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Be really adventurous and have your hubby meet your bf.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Unless you are in the club scene, I would only spend half a day in Santiago. Having said this, I am not a city person.

I prefer Jarabacoa to Constanza. It has a more authentic DR feel. You can have a great time relaxing at La Confluenzia in Jarabacoa (where the 2 mountain rivers meet) but do not do it on the weekend, as it will be swamped, and not on a monday as it will be full of garbage. Go to the restaurant at Hamaca de Dios for a romantic dinner, and an astonishing view (warning: not cheap).

From Jarabacoa to Samana is a big distance by public transport. If you came during the whale season, I would have said yes. Now I tend to direct you towards Barahona. It will be VERY hot, mind you, but the views and the beaches are gorgeous. And you can visit the lake which is a bit further to the Haitian border.

From there straight to Santo Domingo, where you visit the Zona Colonial, and the Malecon, and then onwards to PC.

Just my idea.

BelgianK

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago: Centro Leon, Center City Monumento, Mercado Modelo, Tomas Morel Folklore Museum, La 37 por las Tablas, Casa de Arte. Some good places to eat...mingle, dance.

Jarabacoa: Scenery galore...waterfalls, rafting, some fine dining according to local informants. Close by

From Santiago, 27 waterfalls at Damajagua.

Saman?: God's give to us who live here...beauty almost beyond description.....

A day or so in each!! It is 5 1/2 hours to Punta Cana from Santiago. Go, relax...

HB

la2502

May 19, 2012
Ok I think we will go straight to jarabocoa from sti airport, stay a few days and spend most of our time in last terrenas to make it worth the trek over.

Thanks for your help!