Dominican Law and Minors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmrc

May 15, 2012
Hello, I am new to the forum. I need some advice with a matter. I have visited this site for various questions I have had, and I know there are some hecklers out there. But i will give this a go anyhow.

I have been living in the DR for about 5 months now. I had met somebody and we are giving it a go. Everything is absolutely wonderful. The nitty gritty of it is, I left my boyfriend back home (in the US), and he left his girlfriend back home (in the DR). I have complete trust in this man, and we are able to freely discuss everything. The problem is that he was dating a girl who is now 17... about to be 18 in 20 days (he is 22). We have not heard from her, changed phone numbers, deleted facebook accounts the whole 9 yards. We received a call from his mother in distress the other day saying a lawyer (who happened to be the girls aunt) was at the house saying that my boyfriend had to come talk to her parents or they would go to justicia. He called the girl and she said that her parents did not want to go to the police, she just really wanted to be with him, marry him, live in her fantasy world, whatever. In other words, she is just screwing with him because she has 20 days before she turns 18 and is no longer a minor. Some days we receive phone calls that the parents just want a new stove and a new bed (and he has nothing more to worry about). Some days she calls and says she wants to get married. They are all well aware that he is dating an American with money, but I have made it clear that I will not be bailing anyone out of jail, or paying anyone off due to threats... no matter how much love we have. I have read enough horror stories. I am just wondering legally what does she/the parents have on him? He has never had sexual relations with her (we have texts and e-mails from her to prove this)... They were novio/novia for two years, and the parents never had a problem with it then. Now that shes about to turn 18 and he's dating an American there's a problem. Advice?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I have been living in the DR for about 5 months now. I had met somebody and we are giving it a go. Everything is absolutely wonderful. The nitty gritty of it is, I left my boyfriend back home (in the US), and he left his girlfriend back home (in the DR). I have complete trust in this man, and we are able to freely discuss everything. The problem is that he was dating a girl who is now 17... about to be 18 in 20 days (he is 22). We have not heard from her, changed phone numbers, deleted facebook accounts the whole 9 yards. We received a call from his mother in distress the other day saying a lawyer (who happened to be the girls aunt) was at the house saying that my boyfriend had to come talk to her parents or they would go to justicia. He called the girl and she said that her parents did not want to go to the police, she just really wanted to be with him, marry him, live in her fantasy world, whatever. In other words, she is just screwing with him because she has 20 days before she turns 18 and is no longer a minor. Some days we receive phone calls that the parents just want a new stove and a new bed (and he has nothing more to worry about). Some days she calls and says she wants to get married. They are all well aware that he is dating an American with money, but I have made it clear that I will not be bailing anyone out of jail, or paying anyone off due to threats... no matter how much love we have. I have read enough horror stories. I am just wondering legally what does she/the parents have on him? He has never had sexual relations with her (we have texts and e-mails from her to prove this)... They were novio/novia for two years, and the parents never had a problem with it then. Now that shes about to turn 18 and he's dating an American there's a problem. Advice?

Let him deal with his drama. You are a couple, but in all things Dominican, he is, or should be, the expert.

What is that old saying, "Hell halth no fury like a woman scorned"? (or some such nonseness.) Certainly the family was expecting a marriage at the end of the courtship. While there's not likely a penalty for breaking off an engagement, the family will be a thorn in your side until they get some satisfaction.

Certainly, and last, but not least, DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you believe that they never had sex, than you are in "fantasy land". This is the DR, not Kansas.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Basically, if they go to the justicia, he's screwed until you pay up.....they never had sex for 2 yrs......lol.... and you believe him....lol..... I wouldn't doubt he's part of this to extort money from you too.....

jmrc

May 15, 2012
Oh he was having sex... Just not with her. She's nuts. Looking back on messages even before we met he has been trying to shake this chick forever. But thanks for your input.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Well all I can say to you is "Be Careful". If they do go through with this and throw him into jail, his family will expect you to pay up and bail him out.......I know you said you will not pay, and he and his family know this now, but when push comes to shove they won't care what you said and will expect the 'money bags' to help out, and if you don't you will have to forget about dating this guy because he will not respect you and neither will his family.....you are basically between a rock and a hard place....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I dont think we are hecklers, we are giving it to you straight. My brother in-law (gotta love him) messed around with a 17 year old and when things ended it was ugly. Yes they went to the justicia, the whole 9 yards. The threats, the phone calls and the embarrassment my mother in-law endured put her in the hospital for 3 days with extremely high blood pressure. My brother in-law does not go even close to the neighborhood this girl (now 18) lives in out of fear that someone will attack him or something. Hopefully for your sake this is not all a setup to get money from you, may sound crazy to you but I have seen this happen numerous times.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Not heckling at all jmrc.......but do you REALLY think that in 2 years they NEVER had sex? I don`t think anyone here will rag on ya, but come on, you must admit this sounds a little far fetched??

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
live in her fantasy world...

That's exactly what you're living, in a fantasy!

If you're so sure he never had sex with her, tell him to call her bluff.
That being the case, she has ZERO on him and can scream to the Justicia all she wants.

Pity the stores are closed today, I have run out of popcorn!

jmrc

May 15, 2012

That being the case, she has ZERO on him and can scream to the Justicia all she wants.

I honestly don't care if he was banging her. Lord knows I've had my fun. My question was of a legal nature, not a do you think my bf is a sanky question. Basically just trying to see if she can legally do anything to him. We have texts and emails stating they have never had intercourse (from her). And moreso after she's 18 is there anything she can do?

jmrc

May 15, 2012
how about you hook up with her and you can buy them all the crap they want? thanks for the offer though :)

jmrc

May 15, 2012
Oh well... thanks for the input good and bad everybody. Bf went to his town today to vote and square up withe the parents. Two attorneys (the aunt and one we know), both said her family can do nothing. The whole ordeal ended up with her mother/aunt/sister chastising her... and her father running through the pueblo threatening to kill my bf. Good times in the DR as usual.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Hello, I am new to the forum. I need some advice with a matter. I have visited this site for various questions I have had, and I know there are some hecklers out there. But i will give this a go anyhow.

I understand.

First, if I were you, I would not sweat it because he is your boyfriend and not husband. You do not have to dish out even a dime in any situation. You owe nothing to anyone because you are not married and have no kids with him. I would not pay a penny to anyone. It could all be a trip to get money as a group effort. I have personally been a victim of a similar situation and like an idiot I paid money and was soon left to look for another mate. You will be one vulnerable foreigner if you give money. It would not be money in a fundraiser or goodwill. They would bite the hand off that gives the money and view it as them tricking you and you owe them it. It could be some ugly plot where the girl thinks you owe money to her and someone is telling her that the gringo can help her and to get all she can. Gringos have helped so and so and they can help her.

Second, he could trick her for 20 days and say you guys broke up or something like that.

But, If I were you with no marriage or kids and a situation like that arose, I would not sweat it. All it is is that she thinks you owe her money since you are a foreigner. It is her god given right to capitalize on the new wealth that she can acquire through her ex boyfriend's new woman. Also, your boyfriend needs to resolve it with her. It is not your problem. This is a problem between him and his ex.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008

I agree with this post.

Your boyfriend start to date this girl when she was 16 years old and he was 20 years.
Was this a secret relationship, where either her or his family knew about their relationship ??
I assume both parents knew about their relationship and also that they had sex.
It would be very unnatural if they didn't had sex in two years .

And I dont understand why your boyfriend can not admit it and are lying about it.
I believe her parents saw a future in a married with her and him.
Maybe his parents or family has some money and can then help her and her family when they got married.

Now that you have entered the scene and stole her boyfriend, and that it will not be a married with their daughter and they will loose all future benefaction.
Will they now seek revenge and money..
But, since I am very sure her parents knew about their relationship and then also knew they had sex, so are they in one way also guilty, and should then have a very little chance to success in court, only if judge are corrupt and bought.

Another question is why he was together with a girl from so bad family ??

Worst scenario is if everybody is involved in this scam, only to get money from you, and he still love this girl and will later be with her, either in this country or later in your country..

I would like to know if it is big age difference between you and him . Are you many years older than him ??

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I agree with this post.

Your boyfriend start to date this girl when she was 16 years old and he was 20 years.
Was this a secret relationship, where either her or his family knew about their relationship ??
I assume both parents knew about their relationship and also that they had sex.
It would be very unnatural if they didn't had sex in two years .

And I dont understand why your boyfriend can not admit it and are lying about it.
I believe her parents saw a future in a married with her and him.
Maybe his parents or family has some money and can then help her and her family when they got married.

Now that you have entered the scene and stole her boyfriend, and that it will not be a married with their daughter and they will loose all future benefaction.
Will they now seek revenge and money..
But, since I am very sure her parents knew about their relationship and then also knew they had sex, so are they in one way also guilty, and should then have a very little chance to success in court, only if judge are corrupt and bought.

Another question is why he was together with a girl from so bad family ??

Worst scenario is if everybody is involved in this scam, only to get money from you, and he still love this girl and will later be with her, either in this country or later in your country..

I would like to know if it is big age difference between you and him . Are you many years older than him ??

I was thinking exactly the same thing, I wouldn't be surprised if she's a cougar.

DBCooper

Aug 25, 2011
Sounds like a scam to be but I'd follow the advice about letting him deal with his own ****. Also, be very careful about bringing him out of the DR. At least wait 1 year, 2 would be better before any life changing decisions.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I honestly don't care if he was banging her. Lord knows I've had my fun. My question was of a legal nature, not a do you think my bf is a sanky question. Basically just trying to see if she can legally do anything to him. We have texts and emails stating they have never had intercourse (from her). And moreso after she's 18 is there anything she can do?

Makes no sense to me. Who in their right mind writes back and forth to a boyfriend about NOT having had sex yet. And if they haven`t had intercourse then what is he worried about with these emails to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.