Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cruise Ship Port in Puerto Plata

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Cruise Ship Port in Puerto Plata

Does anyone out there have good, solid information about the new cruise ship port in Maimon. I need to know things like where it will be located (exactly) a google earth diagram would be useful. And whether it intends to take up the Riu Hotels for guests or if further accommodation is going to be built. I have read an article on the Carnival cruise website Carnival Funville Online Community | Cruise Blogs & Forums | Carnival Cruise Lines but the word "vague" springs to mind.

Thanks

Simon

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Never seen it referred to as a port for cruises to originate or terminate from. If it were, it would be very limited due access to airports. Can you imagine 2,000-3,000 passengers decending on POP at one time trying to get home? Probably will be a stop along cruise itinerary, no hotel space needed.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Most cruise ships just stay 10-12 hrs in a port. Tourists will go on tours and maybe do some shopping but that's it.
    250.000 tourists per year IMHO that's a little exaggerated.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

18 to 20 yrs. ago cruise ships did come here and pop handled it fine.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont worry I heard it from one of our BB members that the new PLD will extend the subway line to Maimon. 1000's of photos to follow.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Most cruise ships just stay 10-12 hrs in a port. Tourists will go on tours and maybe do some shopping but that's it.
    250.000 tourists per year IMHO that's a little exaggerated.
    250,000 is merely 2 ships per week with 2,500 passengers each. Remember, a cruise ship pays port charges for each passenger whether or not they go ashore.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    250,000 is merely 2 ships per week with 2,500 passengers each. Remember, a cruise ship pays port charges for each passenger whether or not they go ashore.
    in most cases. in St Maarten, it is zero, and in Dominica, it is 2 dollars. in Hamilton, it is 63 dollars. there is no concensus among the islands, because they are all in a race to the bottom, and the cruise ship owners pit them against ech other.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope I can get a job there, I have the background for travel management jobs and yet I never see any posted here..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman33 View Post
    I hope I can get a job there, I have the background for travel management jobs and yet I never see any posted here..
    you will not see them posted in the DR. that is not where the cruise ship offices are based. the ships only stop in the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thought it was going to be two cruise lines stopping.
    6 ships per week.
    even 2 ships per week this will be great for the area.
    $2 SHORE PASS no worries $ 10 at airport how much does the country make off that a year.
    look at puj for a month... WOW ....$$$...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast