New Cruise Ship Port in Puerto Plata

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Does anyone out there have good, solid information about the new cruise ship port in Maimon. I need to know things like where it will be located (exactly) a google earth diagram would be useful. And whether it intends to take up the Riu Hotels for guests or if further accommodation is going to be built. I have read an article on the Carnival cruise website Carnival Funville Online Community | Cruise Blogs & Forums | Carnival Cruise Lines but the word "vague" springs to mind.

Thanks

Simon

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Never seen it referred to as a port for cruises to originate or terminate from. If it were, it would be very limited due access to airports. Can you imagine 2,000-3,000 passengers decending on POP at one time trying to get home? Probably will be a stop along cruise itinerary, no hotel space needed.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Dont worry I heard it from one of our BB members that the new PLD will extend the subway line to Maimon. 1000's of photos to follow.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Most cruise ships just stay 10-12 hrs in a port. Tourists will go on tours and maybe do some shopping but that's it.
250.000 tourists per year IMHO that's a little exaggerated.
250,000 is merely 2 ships per week with 2,500 passengers each. Remember, a cruise ship pays port charges for each passenger whether or not they go ashore.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
250,000 is merely 2 ships per week with 2,500 passengers each. Remember, a cruise ship pays port charges for each passenger whether or not they go ashore.

in most cases. in St Maarten, it is zero, and in Dominica, it is 2 dollars. in Hamilton, it is 63 dollars. there is no concensus among the islands, because they are all in a race to the bottom, and the cruise ship owners pit them against ech other.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I hope I can get a job there, I have the background for travel management jobs and yet I never see any posted here..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hope I can get a job there, I have the background for travel management jobs and yet I never see any posted here..

you will not see them posted in the DR. that is not where the cruise ship offices are based. the ships only stop in the DR.

G

gotgames

thought it was going to be two cruise lines stopping.
6 ships per week.
even 2 ships per week this will be great for the area.
$2 SHORE PASS no worries $ 10 at airport how much does the country make off that a year.
look at puj for a month... WOW ....$$$...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Maqueta.jpg

The port will be built right at the Maimon Bay in Puerto Plata.

it will consist of a facility to berth two cruise ships at the same time in the first phase, which will accommodate the ships from carnival first and foremost, as well as other cruise ships not related to Carnival operations.

The port will be built on 150,000 square meters, with the two forementioned facilities, a duty free shopping plaza, picnic areas, enterteinment park, a market, aquatic attractions for swimmers, power sports, sailing, scuba diving, etc... A public area, rest areas, a bus transfer station among other services.

The port will 100% privately owned and operated in agreement with the local authorities. With customs and port officials integrated into the facility.

At the first phase, the facility will be able to accommodate two ships at the same time, each with 5,000 people accounting for crew. With flexible room to render more services if needed.

In a second phase Carnival will be expanding the port facilities to accommodate 6 ships and 40,000+ visitors. With the introduction of this port to Carnival cruises as a home port for new ships that will soon follow the already operating fleet in the Caribbean.

Given the closeness of the Puerto Plata international airport, and a second major international airport in the close city of Santiago, the new Port or Maimon will be seeing a lot of tourism as ships depart and arrive in new routes to be integrated for this facility.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Maqueta.jpg

The port will be built right at the Maimon Bay in Puerto Plata.

it will consist of a facility to berth two cruise ships at the same time in the first phase, which will accommodate the ships from carnival first and foremost, as well as other cruise ships not related to Carnival operations.

The port will be built on 150,000 square meters, with the two forementioned facilities, a duty free shopping plaza, picnic areas, enterteinment park, a market, aquatic attractions for swimmers, power sports, sailing, scuba diving, etc... A public area, rest areas, a bus transfer station among other services.

The port will 100% privately owned and operated in agreement with the local authorities. With customs and port officials integrated into the facility.

At the first phase, the facility will be able to accommodate two ships at the same time, each with 5,000 people accounting for crew. With flexible room to render more services if needed.

In a second phase Carnival will be expanding the port facilities to accommodate 6 ships and 40,000+ visitors. With the introduction of this port to Carnival cruises as a home port for new ships that will soon follow the already operating fleet in the Caribbean.

Given the closeness of the Puerto Plata international airport, and a second major international airport in the close city of Santiago, the new Port or Maimon will be seeing a lot of tourism as ships depart and arrive in new routes to be integrated for this facility.
with the port being 100% privately owned, i guess all the facilities will be privately owned, as well. so, how much leeway does the local authorities have in deciding how the pie gets cut?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Google Earth Coordinates if I am not mistaken for Maimon Bay:

19?50'0.20"N
70?46'40.71"W

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
with the port being 100% privately owned, i guess all the facilities will be privately owned, as well. so, how much leeway does the local authorities have in deciding how the pie gets cut?

I suspect it will be like any other DR business where the government gets its cut in applicable taxes on the businesses involved and some local people are employed. Why would the local authorities have any more leeway than that in a free market venture?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Come back to this thread in four years and see how nothing was built. But there will be another set of pics with President Fernandez and vice president Felix at the ribbon cutting to commence the ground breaking.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Come back to this thread in four years and see how nothing was built. But there will be another set of pics with President Fernandez and vice president Felix at the ribbon cutting to commence the ground breaking.
This post can only be the result of lack of information. Please check your source, come back to this thread soon and explain why there won't be anything built in 4 years from now. I know some people working with the company and they are looking for housing in the area.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This post can only be the result of lack of information. Please check your source, come back to this thread soon and explain why there won't be anything built in 4 years from now. I know some people working with the company and they are looking for housing in the area.

I suspect Luperon is not using a source, just his experience in things Dominican. Am i correct on that, Luperon?
As someone else who believes what they see, I hope all goes well with the project.