New member alert: Howdy from Houston traveling to DR in June....

partychillntravel

May 22, 2012
Howdy. I'm traveling to DR for vacation. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for Puerta Plata.
My wife and I want an upscale or nicer accommodation with a little party atmosphere.
(Think Royal Caribbean/Celebrity not Carnival Cruise)... Slight difference....
We'd really prefer an all adult location but will settle, if it involves better (entertainment and food).
She really needs a great bed.....and good, fresh food. I can make my own party otherwise.
(We've traveled to Jamaica, Cancun, Puerto Rico, Cabo, Acapulco, etc... and prefer the Caribbean lifestyle.

Also how does one schedule ground transportation from STI to Puerta Plata?
I booked the airfare as a separate deal. I couldn't find much on the lonely planet website, but that's how I found this forum. Any info you can provide would be great.
Thanks!!!

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Welcome! Sorry I can't help you with recommendations for that area but I hope you have a wonderful visit!

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
Transportation to POP

Howdy. I'm traveling to DR for vacation. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for Puerta Plata.
My wife and I want an upscale or nicer accommodation with a little party atmosphere.
We'd really prefer an all adult location but will settle, if it involves better (entertainment and food).
She really needs a great bed.....and good, fresh food. I can make my own party otherwise.
(We've traveled to Jamaica, Cancun, Puerto Rico, Cabo, Acapulco, etc... and prefer the Caribbean lifestyle.

I booked the airfare as a separate deal. I couldn't find much on the lonely planet website, but that's how I found this forum. Any info you can provide would be great.
Thanks!!!

The guy we repeatedly use is Freddy Fabre. Lived in New York for several years and speaks fluent english. He has a nice van and is a fountain of info on all kinds of subjects. Here are a couple of numbers if you want to visit with him: 809-775-6976, 829-452-3010.
Enjoy your stay!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks!!!

Are you completely set on Puerto Plata? Based on what you said, you might want to consider Punta Cana instead. Bigger and better beaches, newer "American style" hotels with "American style" beds, better food, and an all-around superior experience. Also, the airfare is usually cheaper into PUJ than STI.

Just some food for thought....

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If you really want the dream Caribbean lifestyle think about booking a villa at La Romana. Not the AI experience but very relaxing and chill. Beach isn't that great though, but since you can get a villa with a pool overlooking the sea that might not be a big deal.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
He already paid for airfare so going to La Romana or PC will be a much longer drive than POP from STI.. I stayed at the Confresi Palm Beach Resort, part of lifestyles chain. I wouldn’t recommend the Confresi Palm for you as the bed sucked!! but they have more than one hotel on the property.. Try the Playa Dorada area, we stayed at the Barcel? in the past and it was nice then, I think 4 stars but i could be wrong.

& Welcome to DR1 ;)

partychillntravel

May 22, 2012
Sir urk....
Thanks for the info. Might you have an email for Freddy Fabre?
I'm originally from NYC and I see that as a great sign.
I'll certainly call him and set that up.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome to DR greetings.
I know we will have a great time when we get there.
We party EVERYWHERE we go.
Thanks again.