Help finding assorted home construction items in the DR @ (home, kitchen, etc)

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Does anyone know where we can find the following items for a new home that is being constructed? Though the villa is in Las Terrenas, I'll consider driving naturally.

1) Door thresholds (aluminum or other material type> to prevent dust, large insects, and water from seeping in)

2) Waste disposal/garbage disposal under sink (Guys, really? This is 2012 not 1912. I really don't care that 95% of the homes do not have one in the DR. It's not rocket science to install/use and I personally prefer getting rid of biodegradable waste this way. Reliability? Our present home has had one for over 10 years/ "no problemas.")

3) Porcelain double-sink sink for the kitchen.(easier to keep clean than s/s, etc)

Thank you in advance for any help on this! :confused:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will certainly be interested in the responses. Never seen 1 or 3 for sale here, but I suppose 1 could be made to order. I have used rubber seals that you screw into the door to prevent water and insects from entering.

Is the lack of garbage disposals even in moderate to upscale homes because of the use of septic systems?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Door thresholds (aluminum or other material type> to prevent dust, large insects, and water from seeping in

I have seen these at OchoA in Santiago.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Its called a door sweep, and they are available at the Americana in Fruisa, or better yet, buy one at Home depot cut it in half so it fits suitcase, wont ruin it. Also make sure you use "stainless steel" screws, might not come in the package..

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
BTW, when you install a garbage disposal you will need to verify a couple of things. First, make sure the septic tank you have is designed for one. Second, train whomever is cleaning in your house/kitchen as to what this darn thing is and what not to do! No fingers inside and stop trying to shove an entire watermelon rind into it! Seriously, this is rocket science and very unusual so staff need the education (renewed about every 3 months).

I installed a top of the line Swedish dishwasher in one of my properties when I first arrived. I'm not much for cleaning kitchens so I never checked on it. When I finally did, about 4 years later, I discovered that no one had ever used it because they couldn't figure out what it was for!! I'm now replacing it with more cabinetry...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As a civil engineer I would not recommend getting a sink garbage disposal unless you have your own septic system with a septic tank, drainfield lines and very sandy soil. Otherwise you may clog up the sewer main out if front of your house which might not get fixed after weeks of not being able to flush the toiler or if the septic system is the pit type here in loamy or clayey soil which will fail sooner rather than later.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
BTW, when you install a garbage disposal you will need to verify a couple of things. First, make sure the septic tank you have is designed for one....

Does anyone know specifically what is the difference? "A septic tank designed for an under the kitchen sink garbage disposal."

I refuse to go back to the stone age and live without one.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
...and a lot of the septic pits here are single compartment. Throw in garbage from a disposal, fuzz from towels (laundry) and soap scum you'll soon have a problem. That stuff builds up the scum pretty rapidly. I also dose in Rid-x from time to time just to keep the bacteria happy with new peeps to help munch on the nasties.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
...and a lot of the septic pits here are single compartment.

All these replies are very informative - thank you all.
I will ask the seller of the newly built home whether or not there is a drain field. Almost certain their isn't one since the lots are miniscule.
I'll also ask if there is a single compartment or not. (highly unlikely I suspect)
The advertisements for the waste disposal (or garbage disposal) just about all state "Safe for All Septic Tanks"
I assume this still only applies to one with a drain field, correct?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Garbage disposals to not "require" drain fields or multiple compartments, logic does. Septic systems require some type of drain, that's mandatory. But drains in this country are often the ground itself which tends to perk very quickly. In other words, no drain field may necessary if the septic is in a fast perk type of ground.

I believe the safe for septic tank notion is that the food particles are sufficiently shredded that they can pass through the septic intake and be consumed by bacteria. Septic intakes (outside of the US) often have an impeller system not unlike a garbage disposal to make sure everything incoming is shredded to bits. So I expect the disposal is claiming "already shredded to bits" in fancy terminology.