Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grupo Ramos - Walmart

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grupo Ramos - Walmart

Just got off the phone with somebody that's "inside" the Grupo Ramos and in-touch with what's happening in there...

Turns out that Walmart (NYSE: WMT) had been holding talks to buy out Grupo Ramos "La Sirena" operations, but the latter counter-offered with a partnership instead in the country and Caribbean. The deal of the initial offer was in the tune of USD$ 1 billion, but the counter offer was more appreciated as it meant a re-shuffling of shares between the two under a new corporation.

Walmart then counter offered a deal, which requires that Grupo Ramos extends the "La Sirena" coverage in the country to a consolidated amount of stores with a minimum net sales. A new distribution center with full compatibility of that used by Walmart in their U.S. and P.R. stores.

The number is between 30 and 50 (I can't be exact for biz sake) for the total of stores needed for the Walmart brand to be stamped for all operating stores.

So far Grupo Ramos is beyond the 20th store with more due to open all around the country within the next 3 years...

If you happen to see a lot of similarities in the inside and operations of the new La Sirena stores and the U.S. Walmarts, then it's for this reason...

They're even using the new format of Walmart express stores with a twist in the DR from Grupo Ramos:

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The high tax obligations seems to me would be a deterrent of Walmart buying out Grupo Ramos.

I have always seen it as counter-productive to the D.R.'s progress?

Look back at when Verizon sold out to Carlos Sims.

What do you think Pichardo?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told that WalMart bought La Sirena in 2009. Was that not true?
    Der Fish

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Competition is good for the DR. I wonder how many can remember how much El Pola/La Sirena has changed in the last 10 or so years. Their customer service and prices didn't used to be really anything special but then they got the "high volume" "low margin" bug with a dose of "decent customer service" and they have taken off like a rocket.

5. Likes ~~anna~~ liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I was told that WalMart bought La Sirena in 2009. Was that not true?
    Der Fish
    That was the rumor, obviously was false.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Walmart stood for cheap and decent quality/service.

La Sirena stands for not cheap and lousy quality/service... in comparison with local supermarkets

I only go there for their superior fried chicken...

BelgianK

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

La Sirena USED to have the best prices around (14) years ago. (Talking large items)
    I bought many larger items from them in the past and they used to give a discount when asked.
    Now they always say "no".

There are still some bargains, but not like before.
    Smaller items as I said before are sometimes cheaper (Example: Circuit breakers)

People were coming all the way from Montecristo/Dajabon to shop there.

The rotisserie chicken (At least at the Pola store) is always overcooked and dry.
    The pan de aqua used to be the best bread around, now it is always overcooked.
    I complained about it and they blame it on the dough they get from the distribution center.
    (Nothing new there, always someone else fault in the D.R.)

9. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe something will change in 3 years

From the OP it appears that in no less than 3 years, and probably longer, when La Sirena has 30 to 50 stores they will be large enough for WalMart to do something like buy or merge with them in some fashion. Until then La Sirena will be what they are today.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone involved in large scale retail in DR knows since long that Walmart and Ramos have been talking and that as soon as Grupo Ramos has the coverage Walmart needs (not only in stores but also in distribution centers) in one or another way Walmart will get involved here.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They have 29 stores, out of which 21 are "multicentro" style.
    Grupo Ramos abre nueva tienda La Sirena;* confía crecimiento RD - Hoy Digital

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast