Dominican Republic Dips Toes Into HD Radio

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic Dips Toes Into HD Radio

perez_david052412a.jpg
The government agency that regulates spectrum in the Dominican Republic released a statement about the use of HD Radio in that country. The agency is the Instituto Dominicano de las Telecomunicaciones, or INDOTEL; its president is Dr. David Perez. Here is the statement, sent to U.S. media outlets by INDOTEL through HD Radio proponent iBiquity Digital.

Our country?s radio history dates from 1926, and we could never have imagined what radio broadcasting would signify from that moment ? not only for the Dominican Republic, but also for the rest of the world. The first FM transmissions in our country were begun in 1967, and today we have 235 FM stations and more than 155 AM stations. This creates a challenge for the implementation of digital radio due to the close channel allocations in our crowded radio spectrum.

The implementation of digital radio (HD Radio) has taken some time in the Dominican Republic, during which we have identified three points of consideration: The first is the interest expressed by the industry; the second involves broadcasters and regulatory standards; and the third issue is the education of the consumer.

It?s important to note that part of the industry has recognized the efforts made by the Dominican administration, because we have held several workshops and international forums on the subject. For example, we have enjoyed the support of iBiquity for the initiatives in the region, in an effort to build interest in this dynamic telecommunications sector.

There is currently an FM station in the city of Santo Domingo that is testing IBOC technology at low power. Until now, there have been no reports of any harmful interference to adjacent channels or to other telecommunications services.

Since its beginnings, this experimental station has broadcast classical and instrumental music programming. However, thanks to HD Radio, the station is now also offering two completely different programs. On its HD2 channel, it broadcasts popular music (Bachata), and there is a variety of music on the HD3 channel.

Another interesting detail is that this station, on 102.9 MHz, is a non-profit station which has plans to expand its coverage to reach the entire country. In order to achieve its goals, this station has used a strategy to reach the public that works well with its type of program. It has arranged for the distribution of hundreds of free receivers to commercial entertainment establishments, with the result that it has achieved great acceptance by its radio listeners in a very short amount of time.

HD Radio has demonstrated the advantages offered by digital broadcasting, showing that a classical music station can also offer other musical styles which are aimed at different market segments.

With regards to AM broadcasters, an effort is being made to bring two more stations on the air this year, including religious broadcasters. We have a formidable challenge with the channel assignments of our AM stations, because some of them are separated by only 20 or 30 kHz with a physical line-of-sight separation of less than 100 km in a country of just 48,000 square kilometers.

Radio World: Dominican Republic Dips Toes Into HD Radio

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think HD radio taking off very soon, because people would need new receivers etc and they will just not buy them...not even in USA where Sirius and XM have been on the market for many years, they are not so widespread.

Digital TV will be the first challenge, and more important one, than the HD radio. However, most people in the Interior have to use cable to get TV programming, so the digital TV is actually only important in Santo Domingo and maybe Santiago. East of Juan Dolio and west of San Cristobal people can watch maybe 1-2 open TV channels with acceptable quality (in Higuey practically none) so the only option is cable, so no need for digital TV converters.

I cannot imagine abuelita en Lagunas de Nisibon o viejito en Bayaguana getting digital radio boxes. Sam way I cannot imagine all the conchos in the capital getting new digital radio stereos for their junks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If it does move forward it will be a very small market but given that Dominican wealthy love to pay through the nose for anything it may even be rentable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
HD radio is a non-starter issue and will most likely go nowhere in the DR. HDTV will be a different story.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
If it does move forward it will be a very small market but given that Dominican wealthy love to pay through the nose for anything it may even be rentable.

You do understand that they don't manufacture car/home audio anymore that's not HD/Digital radio anymore?

You do understand that in the DR, just like eslewhere, the gov will place a cut off date to move into the new format and resell spectrum on the analog to other biz interests?

You do understand that this will greatly benefit the local merchants, as this will entail new sets being sold in the high numbers?

You do understand that this will benefit more the end user/listener as new streams will be made avilable with specific contents?

You do understand that? Or am I wrong?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
HD Radio Mandated?

PICHARDO, There is a mandate, for example, in the US or other developed nations to switch to HD Radio?

Let's see:

Smart guns- check , oops not yet. Maybe if we wait long enough.
Cashless society - check is in the mail, not yet that I can see. Possible, sure, likely no.
Biometric Cedula - check (I think they actually did that, or did they?) I have no idea if mine is biometric.
HD Radio - ???? Come again?
HDTV - for sure it will come, slowly, later rather than sooner, but it will come.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PICHARDO, There is a mandate, for example, in the US or other developed nations to switch to HD Radio?

Let's see:

Smart guns- check , oops not yet. Maybe if we wait long enough.
Cashless society - check is in the mail, not yet that I can see. Possible, sure, likely no.
Biometric Cedula - check (I think they actually did that, or did they?) I have no idea if mine is biometric.
HD Radio - ???? Come again?
HDTV - for sure it will come, slowly, later rather than sooner, but it will come.

You just wait! You want everything on the dime, but can you recall how long it took the US to switch from talk to real from analog to digital over the air (not to even mention HDTV!)...

If anything, the DR adopts at a far shorter term new systems than the US and much of the first world, given that there's little in the way to stop that adoption.

Smart guns? CHECK! They have carried out several pilots with members of the DNCD and J2 from three different competing sources to date. Once legislation passes in the chambers and it's backed by new regulations and scientific upgrades to the Interior and Policia, you'll be surprise just how fast this will be rolled out in the DR...

Cashless society? Under a finished pilot program with help from a local major bank and external supplier, the DR is FIRST creating the SECURED platform for card users to move unto the next stage: Card only economy! You can't mandate something to a majority when security is obviously still an issue for all sides.

Biometric Cedula? They collected the data so far in the first phase, again waiting for Interior and Policia to equip/upgrade their systems to make use of the new to be introduced cards, which will be also used at all ports of the DR. You can issue the ID plastics until there's the equipment and back support to accept them system wide. The DR has deployed the first type of readers at the border and some terminals in a pilot program. Until the system's bugs are fixed, they won't issue the new cards. It's that simple!

HD Radio? Underway as we speak...

HDTV? Underway as we speak...

Any other questions?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's comforting. Especially since the JCE site had valid cedulas showing up as invalid for a couple of weeks and is now off line. Is hiring IT people that know what they are doing a challenge for them? So the DR will mandate HD radio before the US does. Fascinating.

Feb 7, 2007
@ PICHARDO - Cashless society - if anyone, Sweden will get there Sweden moving towards cashless economy - CBS News - but read the comments. I think it will be a LOONG way, and Sweden has only 3% economy based on cash, compared to 9% of Eurozone and 7% in the USA - how many % is the economy of the DR based on cash? I would say 20 to 30% or more. Anyway, I am not all that sure I would want ONLY electronic cash. The election day I did make a raid on ATM to stock up on cash in case whatever turmoil could follow after the elections.... imagine a turmoil, only electronic cash, a corralito ...I don't LIKE it. It's some evil plan made by Bilderbergs!

Feb 7, 2007
@ PICHARDO - some of your OP's are great, some are OK (maybe some rose glasses, but still OK), but you really metes la pata on the subject with your responses.

Feb 7, 2007
You do understand that they don't manufacture car/home audio anymore that's not HD/Digital radio anymore?

Yes we understand. But what about millions of radios that are not HD/digital compatible, which is the absolute, huge, virtually all majority?

You do understand that in the DR, just like eslewhere, the gov will place a cut off date to move into the new format and resell spectrum on the analog to other biz interests?

They can do it, they are the government.

You do understand that this will greatly benefit the local merchants, as this will entail new sets being sold in the high numbers?

Yes, merchants will be happy (as always) and people will be f****d and pi$$ed because they will have to spend couple of thousands of pesos to tens of thousands of pesos. If they have a car and radio at home, they will have to buy two...or, most likely, people will listed to radio online at homes/in the office, and people will just listen to radio form their cellphones when in the car, so there will be more accidents, and at the end not that much sales for the local merchants.

You do understand that this will benefit more the end user/listener as new streams will be made avilable with specific contents?

Yes this will be the benefit, undisputably, but at what cost? My country has digital TV for some time, but no talks of digital radio. I think digital radio is rarity in Europe, and used only sparingly (though it may well b widely available). But analogue is doing well and will keep doing well...they are extending analogue radio licenses as we speak throughout Europe.

You do understand that? Or am I wrong?

Yes we understand that. But again, some of your responses are OK, but some of your responses seem like you live in a parallel universe.