Sti to Jarabocoa

la2502

May 19, 2012
We are arriving at the Santiago airport at about 8 pm, and wondering if it is possible to get to jarabocoa that evening. Are busses still running? How much would a taxi cost? Or should we plan to spend the night in Santiago?

If we spent the night in Santiago and took the bus the next day, what time would the busses be running?

Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A couple of questions:
1) Do you have luggage?
2) Do you speak Spanish?

If you Answered "Yes" and "NO" to the above questions, then take a taxi. Make a deal there at the airport. Ask and cut whatever he says in half....bargain.
Or send a note to "bachata" on this site and ask for the number of one of his friends...they will give you the best deal ...

If the answers were "Not Much" and "Yes" ...then I would spend the night in Santiago (Hotel Jardines or someplace similar) and take a taxi to the guaguas Quinto Patio on Sabana Larga at the corner of Restauraci?n and take one of the smaller buses to Jarabacoa.

I 'think' there you could take a Caribe Tour bus to La Vega and wait there for one of their buses to Jarabacoa. They are bigger and more comfortable, but I get the idea that they are much less frequent.

Overall, on a trip, I'd spend the money on a taxi...

HB

la2502

May 19, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we will be happy either way.

We will have very little luggage - usually just one backpack each. I've travelling with a fluent Spanish speaker (he's Colombian, and will probably be mistaken for a local before he starts speaking). I'm the one with the Anglo looks and average Spanish.

Do you know what is a good rate on a taxi that distance?