Enjoy an Afternoon of Haitian Music and Theater!

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Enjoy an Afternoon of Haitian Music and Theater!

When? Sat. June 2nd at 3:30pm

Where? The Project Esperanza Hostel & Art Shop at Calle 12 de Julio Casa 38. Puerto Plata

Why? For your enjoyment and to support 3 deserving causes - Grassroots Schools, the Organization of the Development of Saman, and Project Isobel who is trying to take in 3 abandoned children.

Costs: Recommended donation of 75 pesos per person. Drinks sold inside.

E-mail Hostel@EsperanzaMeansHope.org for more info.

Please come check it out and help those in need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Yes, we hope to see you there. We do so want to have the resources to take in these three siblings aged between 5 and 9. Their father died and their mother was left with five children under 12 including a baby with a club foot. She was undoubtedly suffering from grief, postnatal depression and despair at having a physically challenged baby and no means of supporting herself. One day she walked out and never came back. People have taken in the eldest child and the baby, but the three in the middle are not provided for. We at Project Isobel have the space and the professional expertise. We believe in educating and bringing up children in close relationship with animals for mutual benefit... Will you help us? Hope to see you there... We had little Ebo staying with us last week. He had a great time...

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Oh my gosh....I`m so sorry! I didn`t realise that I didn`t say Puerto Plata when I wrote the address.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh my gosh....I`m so sorry! I didn`t realise that I didn`t say Puerto Plata when I wrote the address.

No problem, we've all done it. I went back and edited your original post, so people who just scan the OP will see it there.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Thank you AlterEgo and Dolores! I`ve been following DR1 for years now but I`m fairly new to posting.
I`m hoping for a great turn out as the need is great.
I`ve been following the story of these children ever since they were brought to my friend Caitlin McHale`s attention back in Nov. Their mom had gone to Haiti to take her husband home to die. She had left the children alone saying she would be back in 4 days....after about 3 weeks the youngest child became ill and was brought to the Grass Roots School in her community that my friend runs. She was 1 year old and severely malnourished weighing only 10lbs, had pneumonia and parasites. A volunteer at the school contacted Caitlin to let her know of the situation and when she went to meet the family the mom had returned. She agreed to allow Cailtin to take the baby to the hospital for treatment and when she was released she went home with Caitlin until she could become stonger. At this time the mother asked if she could find a home for the baby as she could not care properly for her. Caitlin has been caring for her ever since and has sought medical treatment for her club foot with an organization in Santo Domingo, who says that she had a rare condition where her tibia bone has not grown, as well as the club foot. It appears that amputation may be the only option in the future. Caitlin has also housed the oldest child, a 12 year old boy, in the Project Esperanza Boy`s Home. He is doing very well.
The other siblings were left with their mom and we were hoping that with less to care for she would do well....Sadly she left early in March, again supposedly for 4 days and has not returned. The three children ages 9,7 and 5 were left on their own for some time. They are currently being housed by three different families but this is not a long term solution....Project Isobel has agreed to take them in but needs the funding to do so....
I have met all of these children and they are the sweetest little things and they deserve so much more than they have been given. My heart breaks for them.
Please take a minute and check out the show on Sat!