Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to taxi fare from the Santo Domingo airport (las americas internacional)?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternative to taxi fare from the Santo Domingo airport (las americas internacional)?

I do not take expensive taxis run by what I consider to be a mafia. Most airports have a cheap way of getting to/from as I don't believe the workers there all have cars or use taxis. A friend of mine says there is a bus from the airport going to Boca Chica but I have never seen it.

Do you think it is possible for someone light on luggage to walk to the gua gua stop on the main highway? Or just get a cab to there instead of into the city (Santo Domingo)? Or a colectivo? I arrive in the afternoon and speak Spanish.

Another airport question: I have seen these rip off currency exchange booths popping up at various airports giving tourists horrible rates of exchange, so I hope a legit bank still operates there. Am I right?

The more determined airports are to fleece us, the more determined I get to pay fair prices.

Thanks for any responses.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you could walk to the main highway if you're helathy. You'd probably be drenched in sweat before you even got to the connector highway between the main highway and the airport, then you'd still have another mile or so to walk. Even if that's all that happens on your walk, I couldn't imagine you saving enough of the forty bucks US$ or less the cab would cost you to make it worth your while. If you change money at the airport you'll probably get about 33 pesos for what you'd get 40 for in the city, with a minimum transaction of about 4K-6K pesos.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A2B transfers:

Airport transfers | Holiday transfers | Taxi Transfers | Holiday taxis | Airport taxis

You are going to pay 24 dollars to be transported in a shuttle bus from the airport to Santo Domingo, you will probably share with others or travel alone, reliable service.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot off effort going into saving a minimal amount of money. day or night you are asking to get robbed wandering around from the airport.
    Green tops are just as territory driven as the airport taxis so if you are not using them on principle then you will struggle to get anywhere by public car.
    either way, have fun.

5. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wuarhat and boricuaonline! Yes, I think I will try the walk to the parada de gua gua in order to save the rip off $40 taxi mafia fare. The $24 shuttle is more reasonable, but the gua gua is cheapest of all.

When I visit Guatemala, I spend about 14 cents on the bus from the airport. It isn't deluxe and everyone warned me of robberies but it turns out OK time and time again. People warn me of robberies just going to these countries so I take it all with a grain of salt and hope for the best. Over the years I have saved alot of money. Airports are often a big rip off charging high prices to fleece tourists with money to burn. Thanks everyone!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kinostar View Post

Another airport question: I have seen these rip off currency exchange booths popping up at various airports giving tourists horrible rates of exchange, so I hope a legit bank still operates there. Am I right?
    I know that there is a Western Union at the airport and they usually give a pretty good exchange rate.

8. Likes kinostar liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I took a taxi from AILA to Boca Chica the fare was $800RD.
    I had $1000. The driver said he did not have any change! Who said anything about change.
    The drivers take $US. I know AILA and the drivers very well.
    I also have good friends in the PN.

DS

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kinostar View Post
    ....I think I will try the walk to the parada de gua gua in order to save the rip off $40 taxi mafia fare...............
    Bring plenty of drinking water............Seriously, you really don't want to walk from the terminal to the main highway to catch the guagua. At least spend a few pesos and take a motoconcho which will be waiting under the shade tree just opposite the rental car parking lot.

11. Likes Lucille liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't you just ask a dozen people from the plane your arriving on where they are going and hitch a ride.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Grab an arriving taxi upstairs on the departures level for 800-1000 pesos.

14. Likes arrugala liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast