How well do hospital jobs pay if you're not a doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda Almonte

Apr 10, 2012
Hello paisanos :)
I'm new here, and I come from a Dominican family.
I've been to D.R numerous times, and I love it. I would love to live there one day, which is why I plan to move there once i'm done with school. I will be majoring in Radiologic Sciences. Maybe I''ll even master into Radiologist Assistant. I know the amount of pay one receives in the Dominican Republic is incomparable to the pay here. But I would like to know if it's at least a decent amount. Especially for someone who will take x-rays, sonograms, and work with medical equipment, but not as a doctor.
Thanks in advance!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RAdiologist? Or Assistant. Seems to me that you might be competing with people with no university training who "learned on the job" and do everything by rote.

A Masters in Radiology? Seems a waste of time unless you are in the US....Not here.

I will ask my son about this and see if I can get a "ball-park figure" for you...But I would guess not much.

HB

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
nurse with a bs in nursing

in santiago i worked the grave yard shift 11 pm-7 am my earning per month, was $12,000 a month.. so amanda do you think as a radiologist you can earn more? best wishes for you
Hello paisanos :)
I'm new here, and I come from a Dominican family.
I've been to D.R numerous times, and I love it. I would love to live there one day, which is why I plan to move there once i'm done with school. I will be majoring in Radiologic Sciences. Maybe I''ll even master into Radiologist Assistant. I know the amount of pay one receives in the Dominican Republic is incomparable to the pay here. But I would like to know if it's at least a decent amount. Especially for someone who will take x-rays, sonograms, and work with medical equipment, but not as a doctor.
Thanks in advance!

Amanda Almonte

Apr 10, 2012
Radiologist Assistant, I don't have patience nor the drive or mental capacity to be a doctor. I would be doing the schooling in the U.S I just want to know if I ever move to D.R and continue my career there how much I would be paid? If not Radiologist Assistant anything along the lines of Nuclear Medicine/Radiologist Technologist, or Ultrasound. Thank you so much for answering HB!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Radiologist Assistant, I don't have patience nor the drive or mental capacity to be a doctor. I would be doing the schooling in the U.S I just want to know if I ever move to D.R and continue my career there how much I would be paid? If not Radiologist Assistant anything along the lines of Nuclear Medicine/Radiologist Technologist, or Ultrasound. Thank you so much for answering HB!
As HB indicated and can certainly find out for you, the DR is not the place to come and expect high or even moderate salaries, even if you did have the drive to become a medical doctor. I was very surprised at how low the salaries are for medical professionals here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
in santiago i worked the grave yard shift 11 pm-7 am my earning per month, was $12,000 a month.. so amanda do you think as a radiologist you can earn more? best wishes for you

I assume you mean Pesos, correct?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, and that is the graveyard shift. I wonder what a BS in Nursing was doing in Santiago????

HB

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
I'd like the inside scoop on what nurses make in the Sosua/Puerto Plata area -- private vs. public sectors. Monthly salary and how many days a week is that ? Anybody know. Does it differ if a person has a 4 yr nursing degree vs. just a certificate of Enfemeria from like Salud Publica?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd like the inside scoop on what nurses make in the Sosua/Puerto Plata area -- private vs. public sectors. Monthly salary and how many days a week is that ? Anybody know. Does it differ if a person has a 4 yr nursing degree vs. just a certificate of Enfemeria from like Salud Publica?

Anybody with a 4-year nursing degree would be well advised to look for employment elsewhere. Nurses are not held in high regard here and are paid poorly compared to what nurses are paid in the US, for example.

This is not just true of nurses. Professionals in all fields make much less here. That is the way it is If they charged high fees, nobody would go to them because they couldn't afford to pay. Even now many, many people in the DR don't go to doctors unless at death's door because they can't afford to buy the medicine,

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Sorry, to clarify ... I am not looking to work in the DR as a nurse -- just curious as what the pay is in that area for Dominican nurses with an actual license vs Enfemeria certificate. And what the difference in pay is from pvt. to public sector.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Doctors here do what many nurses in the states do.

You can't really compare healthcare delivery systems between the two.

Additionally, locals don't want foreigners coming in and taking scarce jobs.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I DISAGREE with your "locals" comment CB.
Worked in CEDIMAT,PLAZA DE LA SALUD for over 10 years,never saw a "local" who in anyway voiced,or gave any sign of ,being unhappy we were there to teach them.
Maybe because I am just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo likeable!:eek:gre:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I DISAGREE with your "locals" comment CB.
Worked in CEDIMAT,PLAZA DE LA SALUD for over 10 years,never saw a "local" who in anyway voiced,or gave any sign of ,being unhappy we were there to teach them.
Maybe because I am just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo likeable!:eek:gre:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I'm not talking teaching, CC. Taking a regular job.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "TAUGHT" FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS,AND WAS "El Jefe" for seven.
I still cannot agree with your position.
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I "TAUGHT" FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS,AND WAS "El Jefe" for seven.
I still cannot agree with your position.
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Perhaps you offer a skill not easily replicated.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
BS in Nursing in Santiago starts at about 10,000.00 pesos a month maybe 30,000 if you're a nurse practitioner and have a Master's. I got this from family who work in the industry there so if it's credible or not, I can't tell. I'm just passing on what I was told. You're talking what one earns a week in the U.S. Unless you just love it here, or are independently wealthy and the earnings don't matter, then it's not an issue. But if you're expecting to make a living, to my understanding, you wont.

LaMorena

May 6, 2012
BS in Nursing in Santiago starts at about 10,000.00 pesos a month maybe 30,000 if you're a nurse practitioner and have a Master's. I got this from family who work in the industry there so if it's credible or not, I can't tell. I'm just passing on what I was told. You're talking what one earns a week in the U.S. Unless you just love it here, or are independently wealthy and the earnings don't matter, then it's not an issue. But if you're expecting to make a living, to my understanding, you wont.

Name me one Nurse Practitioner in the DR.
Go ahead....I'll wait

Status
Not open for further replies.