Strange expat comminity in Bavaro

Maribeldiaz70

May 20, 2012
My husband and I have been traveling to Bavaro for the past few years. Seems like a nice community with lots of interesting people. We purchased property on our trips, made some nice friends, and as I am so close to retirement, I thought It would be a great idea to live here full time as I can be close to my mother and brothers.

. What seems strange to me is that it looked as if everyone was happyband enjoying the carlibbean life when I used to visit, but now everyone we meet is constantly complaining about life in Dominican Republic. Not just complaining but it seems that everyone has a story behind them, nwhich most of the time seems to me that it is just gossip.

I see it reflected on this board as well, people write comments and some other person jumps in with a nasty comment or some sort of insult.

I am beginning tobthink Bavaro is just not the ideal place for our retirement. If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening about how corrupt we are and what a mess this place is. Yes it may be, but why don't you just go back home to your organized country? Why live in misery?

Dec 26, 2011
Have you ever found yourself in the midst of any community where the individual members are wholly content with their lot in life? You've just gone from the honeymoon phase to the next step in the relationship.

Maribeldiaz70

May 20, 2012
No, I have never been in a community where a gringo comes to my home, at my dinner table, in my country to tell me we are cueros and corrupt. We have lived in cities and small towns in the US. Never seen anything like this.

Bueno, at least I am home and close to my family.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Avoid Them

If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening (...)

Well, stay away from expats and just stick with your family and you'll be happy for evermore. :bunny:
Problem solved.

donP

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I am beginning tobthink Bavaro is just not the ideal place for our retirement. If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening about how corrupt we are and what a mess this place is. Yes it may be, but why don't you just go back home to your organized country? Why live in misery?
If you like to live in a mostly expat community than this is part of daily life. Why don't you choose an area where only happy Dominicans are living?

Maribeldiaz70

May 20, 2012
thats what we are doing, butbwe didnt come here to hide in our home. My husband is american and I would like him to have some sort of friends. Thanks for your input, Don. Sounds like you love it here.

Maribeldiaz70

May 20, 2012
Mido, I am not saying we are all happy, but I dont know, I think some sort of respect is in order when you invite people to your home. I never went to anyones house in The u.s. to talk about how bad the americans are...all day long.

Just curious as to why evryone is here and so miserable.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002

There are several reasons. One certainly is when foreigners come to the DR as tourists they receive a warm welcome, not only because they spend money but Dominicans just seem to be super friendly at the first impression. Everything they look at is through a "nice" filter and things appear a lot better than they really are. Many of these expats decide to quickly to move down here because of that and then with time reality sets in. There are some real happy expats here, too. You will meet some...

Dec 26, 2011
Mido, I am not saying we are all happy, but I dont know, I think some sort of respect is in order when you invite people to your home. I never went to anyones house in The u.s. to talk about how bad the americans are...all day long.

If you're saying these individuals are critical of certain actions and policies of the US government you shouldn't take that personally. It may be that you simply hold different views on the subject and they're more vocal than you're comfortable with. If they're calling you and your husband "cueros and corrupt" that's another matter entirely.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The right friends

Thanks for your input, Don. Sounds like you love it here.

Tremendously, yes.
Gossip and exchanging experiences is part of socializing.

Just make sure that your husband meets newcomers only, they normally go head over heels about the Dominican culture.
The problem is you'll have to find new friends for him as time progresses... :rolleyes:

Anyway, should we meet, I promise the only subject would be German beer ... :bunny:

donP

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you live in a tourist and expat community, people there are likely to come across the worst sort of Dominicans - sankies and tigueres. Many but not all expats who live there, do so as they do not speak Spanish, and they want to be close to things which remind them of home, such as other expats who speak their language, international supermarkets, international restaurants etc. Many will be there for work which is based on the tourist or expat industry. And yes, many of them will dislike the Dominicans as they are surrounded by the worst type and they make no effort to get to know others nor the Dominican culture. Also some will have nothing better to do than gossip all day.

If you move to an area which is purely Dominican and no expats at all you won't find this. People are generally happier, less crime, and life is much more tranquil and calmer. But you will miss expat contact, speaking English, restaurants and international quality supermarkets.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

I lived in the expat/tourist area and now in a purely Dominican area. I much prefer the latter, but it doesn't stop me missing some things from the former. I understand why you don't like it, but why not try and help and offer to take the unhappy people who come to your home to meet some real genuine Dominicans and to let them see that not everyone here is bad. I am sure they would appreciate it.

Matilda

Dec 26, 2011
I promise the only subject would be German beer

Belgian is better. See, Maribel? It's possible to argue and disagree about anything, even something as wonderful as beer.
:classic:

“. . . if there is a way for the world to be transformed for the better, it can only be done by pessimism; optimists will never change the world for the better. ”
Jos? Saramago

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I agree, I never, well almost never, complain or make unflattering comments about the DR or Dominicans in front of Dominicans and certainly wouldn't do it if I was a guest. I wasn't raised to insult my hosts. I in return expect the same behavior from Dominicans. My wife( Dominican) has a hate-on for all Dominican politicians, but even with her I am selective in my words as not to inflame her Dominican pride. I also don't like it when Dominicans say nasty things about us Gringos.
I have met a number of Dominicans that are sour natured types that complain about everything.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just because somebody is an expat doesn't mean he/she is somebody you want anything to do with. I know expats whose idea of a good day is to set in a bar with others like them and complain about life in the Dominican Republic. These are people I would not have socialized with in the US, either.

I'm sure your husband will find at least one or two that he can be comfortable with. His experience is not unusual. Just get over the idea that where ever you settle in the DR that all the expats already there are the sort of people you want to socialize with.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Well, I'm still a wannabe but will be in DR from August 15. However, I think the attitude you have encountered with some expats is universal, whether they're in their home country or in another country. I have found the best approach to these folks is to avoid them....god love 'em.

We are generally about as happy as we decide we will be. Is the beer bottle (Guinness only, please) half full, or is it half empty?

Acceptance, gratitude and a smile seem the best approach in life for me.

Oh, yes, and your dear hubby might also want to consider taking up Petanque - a wonderful French sport....it's a most wonderful pastime, often spent in the company of beautiful French and assorted others, with lots of camaraderie and bonhomie.

How lovely that you're returning to your home land. May you enjoy all the days of your life.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Matilda's post sums it up perfectly. Having said that I have a few expat friends in B?varo and Punta Cana but the ones who complain constantly about Dominicans in the way that you describe are the exception, not the rule.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I understand your feelings about us complaining gringos. I am one of this persons too. After living here a long time (7 years) and start to visit this country since 13 years ago and invest here a lot of money in my business I feel that i done a mistake.
Before investing and moving here i informed my about the laws and rules regarding business and social living in the DR.
I found that in general official everything is like other civilized countries.
But there are two different Dominican Republics. The official and the real.
Like foreigner you have a lot of disadvantages compared with a "poor " Dominican.
Take the traffic. If you are unlucky and hit a drunk, driving against the rules driving motorconcho, you can kiss good by.
You go in jail and pay a lot of costs for him or when he died for his family. Thats the reality.
You may say take a good lawyer and fix your problem.
Where in the a civilized country you need a good lawyer when a drunk hit your car.
Same in the justice system. Like a gringo you need to pay twice the bride as an Dominican.
There are a lot of things in the daily live here one have good reason to complain the way its going on here.
Now you can say: Why do you not go back to your country and be happy. Right, but as you lived like a foreigner in a civilized country (legal) you know that rule safe rules and laws are laws for everybody.
Beside of this. If all gringos would leave this country, who paid the bill

Final: I take my right to complain when something is injustice, and i am sorry i have to complain often.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There are those who just love to complain and love to make life miserable for anyone who is around them. In my experience, these tend to be the retired expats with nothing better to do than ruin everyone else's life. They get all bent out of shape when they hear a barking dog or a crowing chicken, and have absolutely no tolerance for Dominicans or their way of life. They have also forgotten that they are GUESTS in their country.

The amount of retired belligerent expats seems to be growing in my neck of the woods.

However, those expats who either have a job or an active pastime or hobby genuinely seem to enjoy living here. Yes some do complain about the usual local issues, but who doesn't now and then? But these types have adopted the DR as their home and live accordingly.

I'm with the latter and the majority of my expat friends are too.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
There are those who just love to complain and love to make life miserable for anyone who is around them. In my experience, these tend to be the retired expats with nothing better to do than ruin everyone else's life. They get all bent out of shape when they hear a barking dog or a crowing chicken, and have absolutely no tolerance for Dominicans or their way of life. They have also forgotten that they are GUESTS in their country.

The amount of retired belligerent expats seems to be growing in my neck of the woods.

However, those expats who either have a job or an active pastime or hobby genuinely seem to enjoy living here. Yes some do complain about the usual local issues, but who doesn't now and then? But these types have adopted the DR as their home and live accordingly.

I'm with the latter and the majority of my expat friends are too.
God bless you