$299 RT Newark to Santo Domingo

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I was booking tickets on AA from SDQ to PHL and was shocked (yet again, I know) to see that the cost of the tickets was equal to the cost of the taxes! Yikes!

With all the airline taxes one would think the airports would be extremely well-run with highly trained individuals who were multi-lingual and very safe. Hmmm...guess the taxes don't go there, eh?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Your airline taxes at work.........
Dominican%20parade%20Jeeps%20022711.jpg

.....FoF Club ..... aka Friends of Fernandez

Jan 17, 2009
Reason why I always book one-way out of the DR. At least you save some bucks when you buy your one-way return in the US. I never calculated it, but understand it is the ITBIS.

I was booking tickets on AA from SDQ to PHL and was shocked (yet again, I know) to see that the cost of the tickets was equal to the cost of the taxes! Yikes!

With all the airline taxes one would think the airports would be extremely well-run with highly trained individuals who were multi-lingual and very safe. Hmmm...guess the taxes don't go there, eh?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just checked now ( Sunday AM) and can't see $299, but $345 is there.

Thats a good price. I checked Sept/Oct/Nov..

Thank you for the tip , AE - I'll be booking.

Jan 17, 2009
If you are an American Citizen or resident, you can buy a one-way ticket out of the DR to the US (or to your country). The taxes are higher when you buy it here. I then buy a separate ticket from the US back to the DR (I'm a DR resident so that is no problem). The taxes for the return ticket are cheaper. It works well with travel to the US because there is no apparent savings in buying round trip as opposed to buying two one ways. The savings are not much but usually around 30-35 dollars, which can easily represent 10 percent of the total cost. In addition, I'm not locked not a return date u til I purchase the return ticket. I have been doing this for years on American but checked other comapnies and the result is the same.

As I mentioned, I never bothered calculating whether the different in taxes represent the ITBIS that I would otherwise pay for the cost of the round trip originating here. I once asked a person at American ticket counter and was told that yes, all tickets purchased here carry ITBIS.

If you don't mind explaining, how do you save money on a tickect by buying one way? I didn't quite understand your post. Thanks

Jan 17, 2009
If you are an American Citizen or resident, you can buy a one-way ticket out of the DR to the US (or to your country). The taxes are higher when you buy it here. I then buy a separate ticket from the US back to the DR (I'm a DR resident so that is no problem). The taxes for the return ticket are cheaper. It works well with travel to the US because there is no apparent savings in buying round trip as opposed to buying two one ways. The savings are not much but usually around 30-35 dollars, which can easily represent 10 percent of the total cost. In addition, I'm not locked not a return date u til I purchase the return ticket. I have been doing this for years on American but checked other comapnies and the result is the same.

As I mentioned, I never bothered calculating whether the different in taxes represent the ITBIS that I would otherwise pay for the cost of the round trip originating here. I once asked a person at American ticket counter and was told that yes, all tickets purchased here carry ITBIS.

If you don't mind explaining, how do you save money on a tickect by buying one way? I didn't quite understand your post. Thanks

Jan 17, 2009
To add a bit to my previous post, last year when we were planning a trip to Thailand, I was getting quote for over $4,000 per ticket, round trip, from the DR, with a couple of stop overs to rest for the night. Instead, I purchased a one-way to the US, and the tickets to Thailand and return to the DR with a US departure city. The result was a total cost per ticket of $1,800, including several stops which I wanted to make.